BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:00:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A morning mishap, but I went with this instead of buying Fila's....  (Read 1999 times)
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »

Well my morning went to poo....  While putting the dogs out one of the barn cats tripped me while going down our back stairs.  I survived that only to be tripped again getting off our picnic table and broke my toe (got caught in a crack)....  Well, with things to do I was faced with a decision looking down at my toe....  Buddy tape it and buy a pair of Fila's or a popsicle stick splint and shove it in my VFF's....  NO WAY I'm buying Fila's Grin and I'm sort-of a pro at this Roll Eyes  Twenty minutes later I was out the door.

As a side note, after I got home I tried just taping the toe which I've done in the past (it's nice and purple now).  This works great inside KSO treks as the soles are stiff enough to act like a splint.  Actually it feels better in them than out...

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »

nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 04:02:54 AM »

I'm forever catching my little toe on things in VFFs. Never with enough force to break it or bruise it, but it's uncomfortable for an hour or so afterwards.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:10:30 AM »

I'm forever catching my little toe on things in VFFs. Never with enough force to break it or bruise it, but it's uncomfortable for an hour or so afterwards.

Never broke or bruised one in 4 years of VFF's, but many times barefoot in my 30+ years....  I'm bare most of the time and use my feet to grip things which was my downfall this time... As I was falling out over the picnic bench (compliments of the cat) I grabbed onto it with my foot.  My little toe went into the crack between boards and got caught as I was regaining my balance.  Good news is I didn't hit the ground.  Bad news is broken toe....

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »

Same here.  It's the disadvantage of the individual toe pockets, especially when doing technical trails.

Hope you make a quick recovery, barefootin!

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »

paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »

Looks like you 3 need to admit defeat and succumb to the lure of Filas..... for the sake of your own safety & health.....  Wink Wink Grin
barefootin

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »

Looks like you 3 need to admit defeat and succumb to the lure of Filas..... for the sake of your own safety & health.....  Wink Wink Grin

NEVER

I'll continue to keep shoving my broken toes into VFF's with a popsicle stick or they'll fall off before I join them together in one toe pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grin

toh-shu

toh-shu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »

NEVER

I'll continue to keep shoving my broken toes into VFF's with a popsicle stick or they'll fall off before I join them together in one toe pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grin
thats the spirit! Im impressed you managed to get the popsicle stick splint in the speeds. I suppose you have no choice but to limp around any, even with normal shoes. I've broken my pinky toe once or twice. The first time i tried to snowboard on it (while it was turning purple) it didn't go so well and i just had to give up. I just taped it up and wore some big open shoes and let it heal back up. Hope your toe heals up quick!

My VFFs: Black/Grey TrekSports (Torn and fixed sort of.  Sad), Grey/palm KSOs, White/Grey/Red Bikilas, Brown/Black Spyridon LS, White/Black Speeds

NB MT10
barefootin

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »

[/quote]
thats the spirit! Im impressed you managed to get the popsicle stick splint in the speeds. I suppose you have no choice but to limp around any, even with normal shoes. I've broken my pinky toe once or twice. The first time i tried to snowboard on it (while it was turning purple) it didn't go so well and i just had to give up. I just taped it up and wore some big open shoes and let it heal back up. Hope your toe heals up quick!
[/quote]

Thanks to those wishing a quick recovery!  They usually do heal pretty quick, but I am getting older....  Roll Eyes

paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »

Looks like you 3 need to admit defeat and succumb to the lure of Filas..... for the sake of your own safety & health.....  Wink Wink Grin

NEVER

Grin

I think you might like the current home page of birthdayshoes.com....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:07:18 PM by paulr » Logged
kwilliams

kwilliams is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »

haha.. I like the splint.

I do own a pair of Fila's and they aren't horrible. I"m new to minimalist shoes so likely my opinion means squat, but while they don't feel nearly as barefoot as VFFs do, they don't feel as cushioned as regular shoes. I'm clumsy so I see the advantage of a joined pocket for the 2 toes.  I tend to break other toes though and not the pinky so we'll see what happens now that I'm wearing five finger shoes more!

Kelly - mom of 2, navy wife, jewelry maker and coffee addict.. new to minimalist/barefoot shoes and loving it!
Fan of Jayas, Frescas and Soft Star Shoes!
barefootin

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 06:49:32 PM »

Oh they're horrible, you just haven't been spoiled by your VFF's enough.... Wink   

I've never come close to breaking a toe while wearing VFF's.  If I felt comfortable enough shoving a broken one into them, you should be fine Grin  My wife broke a toe not to long ago and still wore her VFF's as well.

kwilliams

kwilliams is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »

LOL since I'm not a runner, they are okay for walking or casual wear. I think they'll be decent enough when its a bit colder and I want a thicker sole. I do go for my VFFs first!

Kelly - mom of 2, navy wife, jewelry maker and coffee addict.. new to minimalist/barefoot shoes and loving it!
Fan of Jayas, Frescas and Soft Star Shoes!
plcd22

plcd22 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »

yeah i have the fila's (first pair of toe shoes) but i defiantly like my KSOTrek's better

Fila Skeletoes (Black - my first pair of "toe shoes"), VFF KSOTrek's (brown suede - now my favorite of the two)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: