BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 21, 2014, 10:51:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Activities not to be attempted in VFFs  (Read 5282 times)
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 06:46:31 AM »

Not VFFs but barefoot: accidentally treading on a slug. There were a fair few of them around yesterday evening when I went for a walk in my KSOs. I was very glad of the barrier between me and them.
Treading on a slug barefoot is just nasty. Treading on it in VFFs is twice as nasty, as the slime is rather hard to get off the vibram soles, especially if it had an opportunity to dry.
Even worse is treading barefoot into a fresh, still warm goose dropping - that one I am still remembering with a shudder after quite a few years.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 06:46:31 AM »

shadowfax_c11

shadowfax_c11 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »

I trim horses hooves for a part of my living and have been stomped on lots of times. Not thinking that my vibrams would provide good protection so just about the only time I wear regular shoes/boots is when I have to be underneath a horse. I have however ridden in them once. Din't have time to run home and change shoes after work.
BlackFoxSees

BlackFoxSees is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 01:46:45 AM »

Stomping on stubborn tree branches to break them up for a bonfire.
Basketball. My Komodosports performed very well in a few games at a family reunion, but I found that I couldn't pivot very well, which was a major drawback. The soles had too much grip and were too flexible (not something I thought I'd ever say about VFF's). Whenever I tried to pivot on the ball of my foot the forefoot part of the sole stayed glued to the ground while the rest traveled with me, which led to a crazy twisting of the shoe and my foot slipping around inside.
At my old job in a kitchen. I spilled hot oil/sauce/etc on my crappy old sneakers too many times to be comfortable without a pretty thick layer of fabric on my feet, and puddles are a pretty constant hazard waiting to soak toes. Some models might be OK (if you're OK spilling food on them and waiting a few hours for a chance to clean them) but my KSO's were a no go.
Hiking in the Costa Rican jungle. While I did it (and loved it) for a few days, I have to agree with the criticism of a researcher I met, especially after seeing a hognose viper for myself. When the critters that can kill you fit in the palm of your hand and blend in perfectly with the forest floor (assuming they completely concealed by a small leaf), you might want the recommended footwear: thick leather boots and knee-high kevlar leg guards. Paying lots of attention to foot placement like we do is added defense, though.
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 04:32:38 AM »

Basketball. My Komodosports performed very well in a few games at a family reunion, but I found that I couldn't pivot very well, which was a major drawback. The soles had too much grip and were too flexible (not something I thought I'd ever say about VFF's). Whenever I tried to pivot on the ball of my foot the forefoot part of the sole stayed glued to the ground while the rest traveled with me, which led to a crazy twisting of the shoe and my foot slipping around inside.
I've tried dancing in such grippy rubber-soled shoes. If you have to slide in a step, it's impossible -- your foot's welded to the floor.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 04:32:38 AM »

nowster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 03:21:56 AM »

Apparently it's walking across the carpet in a hotel bedroom in just your socks. I stumbled, bent the second toe on my left foot back at its first joint. Now it's very tender and sporting a nicely coloured bruise. No long walks for me today.  Sad

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
MCvet

MCvet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »

This has sort-of been covered before, but..........

I've done everything but ride a motorcycle in my VFF's or barefoot.  Roofing, welding, cutting/splitting wood, replaced an engine, mow, funeral(s), demo/re-modeling, rock climbing, fishing, feeding the chickens, built/installed hot water solar panels, etc...  Like I said, everything......  I do however have a pair of spare KSO Trek's and Komodo's that are reserved for the deed's that may have negative impacts on the looks of my beloved pairs Wink

i dont rock climb. but I've done the same including digging trenches with a shovel

Trek LS Brown 45... Speed black/white 46... Flow black 45... KSO REMIX 45... Bikila white/red 45... KSO trek brown 45... Komodo yellow 45... 1 Black and 1 Brown bormio's 45... Green Spyridon 45...  Yellow/Blk SeeYa 45
questionesse

questionesse is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 03:24:11 AM »

Paintball is another nogo - no grip, no ankle support and also a bit more material in case of a hit would be appreciated...

Get up on your toes!
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »

Paintball is another nogo - no grip, no ankle support and also a bit more material in case of a hit would be appreciated...

I'll agree with the "bit more material in case of a hit", but no ankle support?  I guess you never played volley ball, American Football, or trail run barefoot before?  You just need to strengthen those ankles Wink

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
questionesse

questionesse is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »

well, maybe I'm especially prone to injure because of a longer skate career with several incidents of stretched/torn ligaments, but I wouldn't play paintball either football barefoot.
Adding to that, there are always instinctive reactions to your opponent in milliseconds involved which can easily lead to spraining your ankle out of full speed and with fully accelerated weight. Don't need to be a physics genius to realize that it's irrelevant how trained your ankles are at that moment...

Get up on your toes!
nowster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »

Apparently it's walking across the carpet in a hotel bedroom in just your socks. I stumbled, bent the second toe on my left foot back at its first joint. Now it's very tender and sporting a nicely coloured bruise. No long walks for me today.  Sad
And a couple of days later, I stubbed the little toe on my right foot...

nowster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

Oh dear! I wonder if I'm too clumsy to wear these shoes.

I tripped over the lip of a baby gate this evening, wearing my KSOs, bruising the middle toe on my left foot. Then, stupidly, I walked my sister's puppy a mile or so, making the injury worse.

What was that about some occupations requiring shoes with steel toecaps? Perhaps Vibram should also make armoured toe VFFs for those of us with two left feet.  Wink

barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 08:29:13 AM »

Adding to that, there are always instinctive reactions to your opponent in milliseconds involved which can easily lead to spraining your ankle out of full speed and with fully accelerated weight. Don't need to be a physics genius to realize that it's irrelevant how trained your ankles are at that moment...

Physics is physics, but our bodies are wonderfully created and capable of many amazing things.  Although we don't play paintball (unless you count shooting at each other with airsoft pistols which you don't want hit by either). You don't get anymore "instinctive reactions" playing paintball than trail running down a hill side or runnning full bore through a cow pasture trying to avoid thistle, thorns, and steaming cow pies while being chased and having hardened cow pie frisbees thrown at you.  All in good fun mind you...  We used to jump out of lofts, tree's, even the low roof of the barn.  We play/played football, baseball, rode bikes, badminton, volleyball and anything else a kid can think of barefoot and I never remember anyone treading an ankle in my almost 40 years.  My kids are the same, even family laser tag is done in VFF's...  We are bare or in minimalist shoes for everything we do and our well developed muscular feet and ankles show it........  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:28:52 PM by barefootin » Logged

barefootin

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »

Oh dear! I wonder if I'm too clumsy to wear these shoes.

I tripped over the lip of a baby gate this evening, wearing my KSOs, bruising the middle toe on my left foot. Then, stupidly, I walked my sister's puppy a mile or so, making the injury worse.

What was that about some occupations requiring shoes with steel toecaps? Perhaps Vibram should also make armoured toe VFFs for those of us with two left feet.  Wink

Sorry to hear Nowster...  Looks like your piggies need some glasses not armor Grin

Although, I'd love to see a steel toe cap version  Cool

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »

Lawn darts. Especially if you are the goalie.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
barefootin

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »

Lawn darts. Especially if you are the goalie.

Ahh yes, but it's not your feet that need protecting.....  Wow, that brings back memories of playing "Jarts" barefoot.... 

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: