BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 31, 2014, 07:28:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost everywhere  (Read 1698 times)
robestrong

robestrong is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »

Since I've started using my 5 toe shoes I've gotten quite attached to them. The smell hasn't been noticeable so far, and they're quite comfortable, but at the same time let me feel what I'm walking on, and give me great flexibility and dexterity (I find myself using my feet more often).

I quite often wear them inside the house as slippers if you will, because I despise wearing socks. Jogging, biking, you name it. Whenever I go out I wear them, with friends, to get gas, just about everywhere. I also wear them to school. The only time I can't is at work, due to the dress code, but other than that I wear them everywhere. Smiley
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »

PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

Have you tried just going barefoot?  I wear my VFF's if my feet are a bit tender from a previous BF run, but my feet feel nasty in them.  I much prefer the "free" feeling of just straight BF.

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
robestrong

robestrong is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »

I have done it whenever I can, but I'm pretty sure most places have a shoe wearing policy, plus during the winters here my feet would get numb very quickly.
PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

I have done it whenever I can, but I'm pretty sure most places have a shoe wearing policy, plus during the winters here my feet would get numb very quickly.

In nearly a year of barefooting, only 4 or 5 places have asked me to put shoes on.  I had the same concerns about winter, which is why I actually purchased my VFF's in October of last year (started barefooting May of last year), but then this winter turned out to be so mild I didn't really need to use them all that much.

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

Hamnert

Hamnert is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:13:58 AM »

I like to wear mine out wherever i go, but if i am sitting, I can smell the odor seeping out of them... I wish there was a cure for this.
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »

I like to wear mine out wherever i go, but if i am sitting, I can smell the odor seeping out of them... I wish there was a cure for this.

Spray them, wash them, and store them with deodorizers.

Whenever I take mine off they get sprayed with mcnett rank away and get stored with a deodorizing ball.  The most recently worn pair also gets silicon dessicant packets to help dry them out.  If they are one of my workout pairs as opposed to casual i spray with disinfectant and tinactin.

When I wash, I wet the sole, scrub with a brush to break up grime, wet with mcnett again, then wash in hot water, heavy dirt, with detergent and lestoil.  They come out good as new.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
kissel

kissel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 02:14:04 PM »

1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar soak for 4 hours, rinse, wash in machine w/ regular Tide, line dry.  Fresh as a daisy.

Been doing that for 2 years now.
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »

Since this has turned into a discussion about avoiding the funk, this is what I do:

When I take them off, I spray them with Lysol disinfectant spray and let them sit.

When they to need to be washed, I soak them in hot tap water with efferdent tablets (2 per shoe) for about an hour, then hit the footbed with an old toothbrush to get the grime off and then just throw them in the washer and let them air dry.

My bikilas will be the next pair for the washing described above. Not bad since I have about 100 miles on them.  I've noticed my KSO Treks are less likely to smell, but then again, I don't run in them but wear them to work.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »

Don't let them get -THAT- stinky in the first place!  All I have been doing is letting my VFFs/minimalist shoes air out for at least 24 hours in between wear.  Another reason to have multiple options for work and working out Wink.  I can rotate between 2-3 shoes for both activities throughout the week and stave off any smell.

For work (I wear non-toe minimalist here, see signature.) I've also been putting baby powder in the shoes, swirling that around, and clapping the excess out because I have stopped wearing socks!

If I do need to clean them, a tab and a half of denture cleaner into EACH shoe (efferdent- they are pretty cheap!) and a good, long soak in the sink with some hot water does the trick wonderfully!  I'll scrub them if needed, but usually just ring them out and let them COMPLETELY air dry from there.  Usually takes about 48 hours to dry but its worth it.  I probably won't ever put my shoes in the washing machine again unless they get extra grimey and smelly.

A little upkeep goes a long way =)

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »

When I wash, I wet the sole, scrub with a brush to break up grime, wet with mcnett again, then wash in hot water, heavy dirt, with detergent and lestoil.  They come out good as new.

You wash your shoes in heavy dirt.  Seems counter productive to me.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »

You wash your shoes in heavy dirt.  Seems counter productive to me.

Mr Leigh. You and I seem to have the same sense of humor Grin

*I'm barefoot for skeletel correctness*
kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 12:13:41 PM »

Mr Leigh. You and I seem to have the same sense of humor Grin

Yeah, usually I let that sort of thing slide but occasionally I will get a dig in where I can.  I kind of thought JustinB might edit his post after that comment.  He is a good guy, have PM'd with him before.  Just thought I'd poke a little fun.  No harm in that once and a while.  I made a similar comment in the "What are you wearing thread", http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/talk-about-other-stuff-here/what-are-you-wearing-today/ but I think the humor was lost there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:15:32 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »

Ha, I read it, laughed and thought it was something I would say.  I didn't realize til just now that it was a dig on me.  Now my feelings are hurt... you sir... are a jerk face... Grin

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »

Your humor is never lost on me Mr Leigh  Wink

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: