BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 08:23:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any walkers out there?  (Read 1362 times)
Jesse

Jesse is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »

I don't mean the walking the dog twice a day sort of walking, I mean like distances of 10+ miles.

I'm aiming to walk the Seattle Marathon in November and am looking for some footwear help. Right now I walk in KSOs with Injinji socks. The problem is that after about 5 miles the toe pockets start to squish the webbing between my second and third toes and eventually the balls of my feet hurt too much to continue. I know this is due to my feet swelling the longer I'm on them, but in order to do 26 miles I'm going to need to figure something out. I would be entertaining the idea of training for a totally barefoot walk, if it weren't for the time of year. November in these parts tend to be damp and chilly. Not conducive to barefoot endeavors.

Has anyone tried either the Softstar RunAmok or Rambler for walking? I'd be curious to hear reports...also for the Vivo Aqua. I'm going to have to order something this week in order to keep up my training schedule if I hope to be ready in time, so any input is much appreciated.

what a day a difference makes...
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »

BigR

BigR is starting to look familiar.BigR is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »

interesting concept i walk around 5-6 miles a day usually just around school and on assignments for my classes but walking a marathon seems I don't know not right like there is nothing wrong with it just seems off..

"The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot."
I want to smother the guy who said we need arch support...
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »

Definitively YES. Nothing that extreme as a marathon, but I did a couple of 10-15+ km walks in the Sprints (the longest being approximately the length of a half-marathon, and I am looking forward to more) and greatly enjoyed the experience. Just watch out for interesting surfaces :-)
I walk sockless; may be the answer to your tightness problem?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:53:57 AM by gryllus » Logged
Jesse

Jesse is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »

Definitively YES. Nothing that extreme as a marathon, but I did a couple of 10-15+ km walks in the Sprints (the longest being approximately the length of a half-marathon, and I am looking forward to more) and greatly enjoyed the experience. Just watch out for interesting surfaces :-)
I walk sockless; may be the answer to your tightness problem?

Unfortunately no, sockless works for a little while then I get really tender spots under my big toes and eventually raw spots all over the bottom edge of my heels...which is weird considering how tight the front of them fits. I think I just need to admit that my 'stubby toed wide as canoe paddles' feet aren't made for VFFs and start working on full time barefootin'!

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »

BigR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »

the problem may just be your feet are not tough enough.

Jesse

Jesse is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »

the problem may just be your feet are not tough enough.

No, my feet are fine. I can go all day barefoot with no issues, it's only with my VFFs on that I start to have problems. They just don't fit, hence my original question and request for assistance.

BigR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 11:03:09 PM »

well do the socks make them too tight? and from my knowledge the runamocs would fit barefoot ted seems to adore them so i don't see why they wouldn't be a good choice

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: