BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 25, 2014, 10:51:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basketball?  (Read 2545 times)
eventhorizon

eventhorizon is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:50:27 AM »

I'm considering picking up a pair of VFFs and doing all sorts of walking, running, and hiking with them.  However, I was wondering if anyone has actually tried playing basketball in these things.  I play pickup games every Friday and I feel like if I get used to these VFFs, I may not like the feel of my cruddy old basketball shoes while playing.
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:50:27 AM »

vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:13:05 AM »

Never tried it and only things i could see as a problem is maybe they would offer too much grip on court and maybe you would need a pair without the black sole. That is of course if you are playing indoors, on an outdoor surface i think the KSO's or sprints would be fine but maybe the classics would not work so well. Of course if you play indoors apart from all the shoddies there is nothing stopping u play barefoot.
Kuranto

Kuranto is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »

I have messed around a little with basketball in my KSOs.  The stop and start, and lateral movement seem to be a problem. My toes like to slide really far into the toe pockets...and it can be a little painful in between my toes. Especially after a sideways jump.
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »

Certainly try it out and see how it goes, but I would echo some other comments -- I think the lateral motion tends to push the VFFs in ways that stress seams in unnatural ways.  I'm guessing the Sprints would probably be best for basketball for this reason -- they lock down the tightest of all models -- both forward and laterally.

The other tricky thing about basketball would be to improve your landing ability.  Landing without padded soles requires reteaching your feet/legs to absorb shock and not be stiff.  Takes a little practice.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »

iamcam

iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.

Jesus wore huaraches.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »

I've played basketball in my VFF's and it wasn't pretty. I don't recommend. The problem is exactly what Justin hit on. Landing is not comfortable and your feet will not like you after several rebound attempts.

I am Cam

go barefoot... everything else is just holding you back.

I miss 100% of the shots I don't take.
barefootnyc

barefootnyc is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:41:01 PM »

I've played basketball indoors and outdoors in Sprints. Grip is good on asphalt and wood floor. Did not have any problem landing, and particularly liked the way it forced me up on my toes when playing defense. Running the floor is great. Lateral support is not there, true, and I'd have to experiment more to see whether that is a big problem. Making sharp cuts and turns you don't want a mushy feeling shoe. Felt a little vulnerable on top with other players wearing harder soled shoes, but never got seriously stepped on. Socks should prevent blisters, which I started to get one time going sockless. I had some discomfort from having slightly long second toes--but that's a problem I have in general with VFFs.

I was playing what I consider light basketball. Really running hard and fast with top pick-up players might be a different deal. I'm 55, and am generally laying off the high flying stuff I used to do. But I have not experienced the knee pain I had ten years ago when wearing regular Nikes.

Am interested in how others do at sports that require lots of side to side movement. Tennis, for instance.
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »

I couldn't imagine playing tennis in VFFs. First, you need that lateral movement. Second, the tennis courts get really hot and add the heat of friction and you have very hot feet. Also I woudln't want to wear out my VFFs so fast since you drag you feet a lot when you serve etc. But let me know how it goes.
iain

iain is starting to look familiar.iain is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 04:49:16 PM »

I've played badminton with my KSOs, it works very well. And you can feel more what grip the shoes give.
Iain

"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." Woody Allen
iamcam

iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.iamcam is making a name for themselves.

Jesus wore huaraches.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 06:23:06 PM »

I will still stay away from Basketball in my VFF's. Just not my forte I guess

I am Cam

go barefoot... everything else is just holding you back.

I miss 100% of the shots I don't take.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: