BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 24, 2014, 12:57:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Biking / Cycling  (Read 11487 times)
marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »

i'll try and get a pic up soon Cool

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »

inbetweenmytoes

inbetweenmytoes is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »

I also intend to go back to clipless pedals soon.  One of the advantages in biking is that you can use other muscles and get more power by "lifting" the pedal on the upstroke in addition to the pushing downstroke.  I haven't heard yet from anyone who has biked in VFF's and used straps to this end.  If it comes recommended, I may give it a try.

I've found a clipless option for VFF! PYRO Platforms aren't perfect, but with a little tweaking, they could work for even bare feet. I haven't hesitated using my Bikilas in them while training for a triathlon. Check out my review on them here.

Nathan
inbetweenmytoes.com

"Your possessions should set you free like a boat or a pair of hiking boots. If you work for your possessions and they don't set you free, what are you working for?"  Billy Harris
I know... replace hiking boots w/ VFF
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »

Orlin did some triathlon racing with his VFFs strapped into biking sandals...perhaps message him or check out his thread.  I think it was about him placing 2nd overall in a duathlon using his bikilas and biking sandals. 

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
fanaa

fanaa is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »

Ah .. I didn't see the stickied up topic before I started a new thread. I'm beginning to get into road biking, with VFFs on flat pedals, and really enjoying it.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »

Gdawg2014

Gdawg2014 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 01:51:11 AM »

I biked in my KSO's today Roll Eyes
SilentGTboy

SilentGTboy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 10:42:52 AM »

A stiff sole is actually much better for cycling. In the early days, racers would put a flat hard wood insole in their shoes. Today we have carbon fiber soled shoes for stiffness.

The image below are the shoes I wear, 400 miles a week.

The shoes do require special pedals and a plastic cleat(not pictured) that  lock you onto the bike.
sbslider

sbslider is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »

I have not read through this whole thread, but I am with silentgtboy on this.  For cycling stiff soled shoes are what you want to distribute the weight of your foot.  I suppose you could get that with a big flat pedal.  Also being clipped in makes a huge difference as well.  I don't ride 400 miles a week, more like 50, but even at that cycling shoes are called for IMO.   I love VFF, but NOT for cycling.  Skateboarding, surfing, hiking, backpacking, running, just not cycling. 
meriellyn

meriellyn is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »

I'm so new to this whole bike riding thing.

I just got a bike a couple weeks ago. Pretty basic "comfort" style with 7 gears... first bike I've owned in about 20 years. Lol. I'm still focusing on trying to get everything adjusted right and my rides are still very short at the moment.
I'm just happy I can still stay upright on a bike. I rode a good bit as a kid but until last week I had probably ridden a grand total of maybe two miles in my adult life.

I pulled out my one remaining pair of "regular" sneakers to use on the bike for now. I've ridden in my NB Trails a couple times just because they're my shoe of choice for tennis and I was riding to the courts and back, but I definitely don't think I'll be hopping on with my VFFs any time soon.

gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 03:36:31 AM »

I am a lazy-middle-aged sort of cyclist ... riding for recreation, or just to get from place to place (if I can find a route with little traffic), on an old-fashioned city-style bike. And I somehow feel that it is good to have my feet  protected a bit more than in VFFs ... for instance, I almost never ride in sandals, and I feel uncomfortable if I ever do. So, nowadays I ride in my old, pre-VFF time sneakers.
Franklin

Franklin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »

I'm sorry to say I got a toe rip on my KSO's from biking. It'd probably work out fine if you pedal with the forefoot so the toes don't get too close to the ground.
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 07:27:42 PM »

I've enjoyed using my treks while out on my mountain bike. Was out on my Specialized Rockhopper Expert bashing through the local trails, having a great ride, when my derailer suddenly went in between the spokes, ripping it clean from the wheel. Luckily I had just crested a steep hill and hadn't built up speed. I was able to jump from the bike as it tipped. Then the handles smashed to the ground, and the rear brake line was broken. Have to go without the bike for a few weeks, so I guess I'll just run more!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
GoodJava

GoodJava is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »

I have not read through this whole thread, but I am with silentgtboy on this.  For cycling stiff soled shoes are what you want to distribute the weight of your foot.  I suppose you could get that with a big flat pedal.  Also being clipped in makes a huge difference as well.  I don't ride 400 miles a week, more like 50, but even at that cycling shoes are called for IMO.   I love VFF, but NOT for cycling.  Skateboarding, surfing, hiking, backpacking, running, just not cycling.  
^ this. As an ex road/mountain bike racer wearing VFF on a bicycle is not a good idea. Look I think most of us here are excited about our VFF and deservedly so. Cycling shoes are stiff for a reason. The very best setup is the clipped pedal and shoe combination. Sure it takes getting used to and you will tip over the first couple times at a stop sign but after that they become second nature. They allow you to apply power to the entire stroke of the pedal - pulling up and pushing down - pedaling circles so to speak. If that is not enough motivation to ditching your VFF how about the idea of getting your VFF toes caught in the chain/sprocket or ripped off when you crash at 20+ mpg. Not a pleasant thought. I wear my VFF for all activities but would never wear them on my bike. YMMV. Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:45:24 PM by GoodJava » Logged

It's all mind over matter. I no longer mind cause you no longer matter. -Hollywood Movie-
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »

I just got myself a bike and I am loving it.  

http://www.rei.com/product/808783/novara-fusion-bike-2012

I have not been on a bike really since I was a kid.  I had a single speed cruiser as an adult but this bike feels completely different.  I am looking forward to taking it out on some trails.

I had to get myself a helmet (I have never really worn one before)  they are so annoying to wear I kind of hate them.  I got myself a nice helmet because I figured unless it is nice I will not wear it.  I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/809817/giro-atmos-bike-helmet

I did not think I liked it but I just found a adjustment knob that fixed EVERYTHING that was annoying me about the fit of the product.  It fits fantastic now and is not very noticeable on the head. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 06:16:06 PM by BearFooted » Logged

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
JMoore86

JMoore86 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:38 AM »

VFF and mountain biking... not a good mix. If you're just going around the block maybe, or commuting on smooth surface, but I would just throw them in my camelbak and use clipless pedals with a cycling shoe. If you're doing really technical trails you dont want to endo or crash with vibrams on. I do like the idea of throwing them in my camelbak for the next hike n bike  Grin Grin
kissel

kissel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 04:35:23 PM »

I rode my Beemer R1200ST with my TrekSports around the block to Publix yesterday.  Up-shifting gears is a little rough on the top of the foot... Grin  The shifter catches right on the embroidered Vibram logo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: