BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 20, 2014, 08:03:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Biking / Cycling  (Read 12141 times)
Twist

Twist is a new face.

Ars celare verum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »

I wear cycling shoes for both my road bike and my recumbent bike. I will be carrying my VFF's on rides with me so I can change out of my cycling shoes. I had a bad experience years ago on Okinawa when I had to walk my bike, I broke the sole of my riding shoe right in the middle. I learned a great lesson that day, Don't walk in your cycling shoes. Solution: Take your VFF's along for the ride.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »

CaliSelkie

CaliSelkie is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »

Not sure how much this counts, but my old Trek Navigator is basically my car.  I've ridden it barefoot before (and would do so again).
comment

comment is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:10 PM »

I am a huge fan of going barefoot and wear my VFFs wherever I can.

However, there are some activities for which VFFs are not a good idea.  Downhill skiing might be one. Running a power lawn mower might be another. As a lifelong serious cyclist, I can tell you that bike riding is another.

Here's why:
1. It's inefficient. It's not the really foot that generates power when cycling, it's the leg.  There's a reason why cyclist wear stiff soled shoes.  It translates more energy, more efficiently to the pedals.

2. It's dangerous. I don't know about you, but I try to keep my toes away from rapidly spinning bike wheels and gears.

3. It will probably hurt your feet, not help them. Putting your bare foot on a tiny bike pedal and then exerting pressure will cause your foot to bend in ways that it's not intended to bend.  Don't tell me that cavemen rode their bikes barefoot. They didn't have bikes.

One possible exception might be a short hop on a bike with very large rubber platform pedals, but otherwise go with stiff, thin soled shoes cycling shoes.  Clipless pedals are most efficient, but even if you go with old-fashioned toe clips or just plain pedals, you do yourself no favors by riding barefoot or in VFFs.

Joel S

Joel S is a new face.

Toe wigglin'

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »

I am a huge fan of going barefoot and wear my VFFs wherever I can.

However, there are some activities for which VFFs are not a good idea.  Downhill skiing might be one. Running a power lawn mower might be another. As a lifelong serious cyclist, I can tell you that bike riding is another.

Here's why:
1. It's inefficient. It's not the really foot that generates power when cycling, it's the leg.  There's a reason why cyclist wear stiff soled shoes.  It translates more energy, more efficiently to the pedals.

2. It's dangerous. I don't know about you, but I try to keep my toes away from rapidly spinning bike wheels and gears.

3. It will probably hurt your feet, not help them. Putting your bare foot on a tiny bike pedal and then exerting pressure will cause your foot to bend in ways that it's not intended to bend.  Don't tell me that cavemen rode their bikes barefoot. They didn't have bikes.

One possible exception might be a short hop on a bike with very large rubber platform pedals, but otherwise go with stiff, thin soled shoes cycling shoes.  Clipless pedals are most efficient, but even if you go with old-fashioned toe clips or just plain pedals, you do yourself no favors by riding barefoot or in VFFs.

This, it's a bad idea to use VFFs for cycling.
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »

marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 08:17:48 AM »

i wear vivos on the bike - have worn my vibes but preferred the mono toed thicker sole of my vivos for cycling

Barefootin Family

Barefootin Family is starting to look familiar.Barefootin Family is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »

I actually have been using my Merrell Barefoot, and really llike them for cycling.

Be free.
Grouch

Grouch is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 04:25:03 AM »

My brother's got the Defy, it is a sweet bike. And half the time it just sits in his garage  Angry
Piemaster

Piemaster is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »

I've found Lontras fine for cycling into town, shopping, whatever, in. Sole plenty stiff enough on flat pedals and the neoprene cuff stops rain water running down your leg into  your shoe (I'm in northen UK so this may be more of an issue for me than others here).

If I'm taking the road bike out it's SPD's. Thats whats fitted to it  and there won't be much, if any, stopping and walking happening. If I do stop it may well be for a 5k run (triathlon) and it is in places where the shoes will be left behind for a barefoot run anyway.
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »

For me the Treksports are plenty stiff and thick enough, they have become my cycling shoes.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
daveuk

daveuk is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »

Same for me, I find Treksports are ideal for cyling, good grip, stiff enough soles and no laces to get caught in the spokes...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: