BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 23, 2014, 03:32:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiking  (Read 4245 times)
ZeitHeld

ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.

And so Antaeus returns, wiser for the wear.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

Phew. That $350 watch is about $300 out of my price range.

twitter.com/derekofbavaria
facebook.com/derek.beyer
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

shapeshifter

shapeshifter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 05:50:39 AM »

you ain't kidding... lucky for you the release of that product brought down the price of the previous version called the forerunner 305. at $199 msrp you should be able to find one for a lot less on craigslist, ebay or resale shop. these miniture wrist gps's do not display maps but are great for recording the track after the fact.

the handhelds may be the route you want to go for convenience. when money isn't an issue the rino 530hcx are a pretty good choice for collaboration in the wilds or even the big city. i keep a few of these and use them when i need a handheld map display even though there are better choices for visual display if two way communication/locator isn't necessary. those maps can get expensive unless you aren't beyond hacking your way through the overgrowth.

keep an open mind to the other brands available out there. in the early years i used a handspring visor (read palm pilot on steroids) with a gps module for satallite navigation but remember that nothing compares to knowing how to use the trusty compass and a map!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:55:26 AM by shapeshifter » Logged

the game is a foot!
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »

nothing compares to knowing how to use the trusty compass and a map!

Yup.  No batteries, no spotty coverage... though I always feel like a cranky old fart when I point out stuff like this.

For after-trip mapping, you might take a look at wikiwalki.com - it's a site where you can draw your routes on a map and get info about things like distance, elevation loss/gain, etc.  You can also register (free) and save your trails.  It's pretty cool (and unlike the similar mapping software at Runner's World, it allows you to map routes that go "off trail").

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
shapeshifter

shapeshifter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »

heheheh... not to worry, after all that walkin' yesterday - i am a cranky ol' fart!!!

really like that wikiwalki there rana! looks like something we can all use to "share the ride".

the game is a foot!
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »

Marnee

Marnee is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 01:13:44 PM »

I like to use MapMyRun.com.
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 01:40:25 AM »

We went on a light hike in my KSOs. The small rocks were a little painful, but not as bad as I thought it would be. The large rocks were nice foot massagers. My KSOs had excellent grip on the rocks and going down steep downhills I didn't feel like I was slipping the way I would in normal shoes. Being closer to the ground and having ankle flexibility helped me feel more steady and connected the ground.

There was one water crossing where we had to rock hop, but our KSOs still got a little damp from water seeping in from the bottom between the toes. Not too fun since it was cool out. I really would like something a little more water resistant.

Fun. We're going again on Tuesday.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: