BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 22, 2014, 05:33:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I walked a half!  (Read 1550 times)
Jessekuhs

Jessekuhs is a new face.

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »

Yesterday was the Jimmy Fund Walk in Boston.  It followed the Boston Marathon route, all 26.2 hilly miles of it!  I opted to walk 13.1 of those miles...and my marketing edge was "Don't sponsor me, sponsor my TOES!"  That's right, I took my KSOs along for the ride!

This was the longest I've ever trekked in my VFFs, and surprisingly I'm not suffering a whole lot today.  I wouldn't be suffering at all if it weren't for a mild strain (done at the gym last week, not wearing VFFs) that I definitely aggravated by walking the 13 miles.  VFFs or not, I knew I'd pay for it today Smiley

I climbed Heartbreak Hill in my VFFs, and at least 5 peeps asked me about my shoes Smiley  It was fun...I'll certainly do it again next year...maybe in my Jayas!!!

I think I'll be fine wearing only VFFs to Disney in December Smiley

Jessica
South Shore, Massachusetts
New to VFFs and loving them!
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »

gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:50:45 PM »

Congratulationa!
Which kind of terrain?
As reported elsewhere (http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/barefoot-activities/longest-distamce-so-far-and-happy/), I walked something similar in terms of length and footwear (Sprints), though  not other aspects (mine was a solitary hike) also with no ill effects, just the opposite :-)
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »

Congrats to gryllus and Jessekuhs!  Keep us up to date over the next few days.  My longest run in KSOs is 13.8 miles and I got top of the foot pain as a result, though I've never walked that distance.  I'd be interested in knowing of any after-effects of the long walk. 

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
Jessekuhs

Jessekuhs is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:42 PM »

gryllus - it was mostly pavement and cement (sidewalks/street), and a little grass (wet grass even!)

jmijares - I can tell you that while walking (aside from aggravating the existing pain...) I only got a little nagging pain just below and behind my ankle bones on both feet.  That has pretty much subsided.

I should also mention I was wearing my KSOs with a pair of injinjis, to keep the hot spots to a minimum.  That seemed to work beautifully!

Jessica
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:42 PM »

seret

seret is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 02:35:19 PM »

congratz!

Never give up. Never surrender.
-Galaxy Quest
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:45:18 AM »

Concrete and pavement is hard ... my combination of dirt roads - softish mud - riverside trails - fine gravel etc. was really refreshing; only about half a km was on roadside (boring)! and there was even a stretch of freshly harvested field on my way ... but I did have to wash the sprints afterwards :-)
noelbodwell

noelbodwell is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:07:28 AM »

Congrats Jessekuhs and Gryllus. That's a good distance!
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »

Actually, I felt that I wouldnt mind one more hill at the end ... only I had to catch the train back...
Jessekuhs

Jessekuhs is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »

P.S.  The "mild strain" was accompanied by some serious swelling.  2 weeks later I had an MRI (since I work for an MRI company, I have some ins there! Smiley ) .... the verdict:  Stress Fracture!  I'm in a boot and on crutches...BOOO!

So for now my VFFs are shelved, but just until I heal - then I'll work up my mileage slowly.  Disney is just under 8 weeks away, so I think I'll be buying some Nike Frees for that journey.

I wasn't able to to participate in the Making Strides Walk that happened in Boston this past Sunday...and I think my 2010 Walking season has ended.  Bring on 2011!

Jessica
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »

Sorry to hear that ... I hope youŽll get well soon!
I was seriously tempted to take the sprints for a 30 km hike yesterday. Finally reason won (it was rather cold, and almost half of the hike was expected to include wet grass with a possiblity of mud), so I wore "proper shoes" - but realized that I am becoming seriously tempted to buy Treks or Flow Treks.
noelbodwell

noelbodwell is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »

Sorry to hear that ... I hope youŽll get well soon!
I was seriously tempted to take the sprints for a 30 km hike yesterday. Finally reason won (it was rather cold, and almost half of the hike was expected to include wet grass with a possiblity of mud), so I wore "proper shoes" - but realized that I am becoming seriously tempted to buy Treks or Flow Treks.

I used my Treks to hike New Hampshire's White Mountains this summer and they performed beautifully. Great traction on boulders. Wish they were waterproof though!

Noël
Jessekuhs

Jessekuhs is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »

Update:

Down to 1 crutch and a really cute (NOT!) orthopedic shoe.  3 weeks of this and then hopefully I can get back to real footwear (and start transitioning back to the VFFs!)

Jessica
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: