BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 01, 2014, 04:59:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Starting...  (Read 3312 times)
AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

Run, eat, sleep, repeat...

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »

Rather than go for my planned 6.5K tempo run this morning (wearing shoes), I decided I'd try a barefoot run. I only went around the block, which is 0.6K. Ran on the road, since it was early enough that there was no traffic.

It felt wonderful! My feet and legs felt very strong and fluid, and my entire body felt lighter. Even now, three hours later, the muscles in my legs feel good. I don't think I ran terribly gracefully, and I sure wasn't going fast, but it was a very, very good start.

Alan

Barefoot Journey blog: http://thwaits.wordpress.com/
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »

koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:37:43 PM »

Great start. Thanks for sharing.

*I'm barefoot for skeletel correctness*
kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 07:57:16 AM »

This morning (it's Canada Day, and I wanted to celebrate), I ran 4K barefoot. Was very intentional about running on the balls of my feet, and found myself running taller and straighter than I do when shod. I also had the sense that my shoulders were more relaxed. (I tend to carry my shoulders high and tight when running.) No blisters, so I guess all my normal barefoot stuff has helped. And my calves weren't particularly tight afterwards.

I'm really pleased. Will do a little more distance tomorrow, I think.

Alan

justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »

This morning (it's Canada Day, and I wanted to celebrate), I ran 4K barefoot. Was very intentional about running on the balls of my feet, and found myself running taller and straighter than I do when shod. I also had the sense that my shoulders were more relaxed. (I tend to carry my shoulders high and tight when running.) No blisters, so I guess all my normal barefoot stuff has helped. And my calves weren't particularly tight afterwards.

I'm really pleased. Will do a little more distance tomorrow, I think.

Alan

Impressive -- this is on my list of things to do (a fully barefoot run) ... but I need to find a good place to do it as I've seen broken glass on nearby sidewalks.  It's not really a rough area, but car break-ins happen from time to time and often they are not well cleaned up.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »

AlanT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:53:06 AM »

Thanks! I did 6.5K this morning, on sidewalks rather than on the pavement. Sidewalks in my neighbourhood are pretty good, but it was still tougher than running on the paved roads.

I'm doing well, I think. My calves are a little sore, and I've got a very small blister on the little toe of my right foot. That's not too bad, considering...

Alan

allawayr

allawayr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:17:29 AM »

Wow - congrats at your quick development. I spend a lot of time BF but am still struggling with BF running on my local asphalt, it's akin to running on gravel!! OK -- It's not quite that bad but still, I have a lot of trouble beyond 3/4 mi - my feet start to get sore (the skin, not the tendons/muscles) - I suppose I have to be patient.

Although I suppose that's good - it's a lot harder to "overdo" it while barefoot than in VFFs - I have run too far in VFFs before and regretted it.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/yawalla
Better Living Through Nutrition: http://livingthroughnutrition.wordpress.com/
AlanT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »

In fact, the skin on the soles of my feet is a bit sore today. And there's that annoying blister on my little toe. I'm going to be cautious tomorrow...

Tell me more about "overdoing it" with your VFFs. What happened?

Alan

koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 03:46:59 PM »

Hi Alan. There seems to be a rub point directly behind your second and third toes that will give a blister the size of a nickel. It happened to me and a freind exactly in the same spot. It grounded me for a few days. Kevin

kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
AlanT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »

My blister isn't there. (But I'll watch that spot to see if anything develops.) As I said, mine is on the little toe of my right foot. Also, there's what feels like the beginning of a blister on my left foot, between my big toe and the ball of my foot. I think I was pushing off too hard on this morning's run.

Alan

TimButterfield

TimButterfield is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »

There seems to be a rub point directly behind your second and third toes that will give a blister the size of a nickel. It happened to me and a freind exactly in the same spot. It grounded me for a few days.
After the first couple of workouts in my Classics (with no socks), I had that blister on my left foot, same location, but slightly larger, almost the size of a quarter in width.  I took a padded bandage, cut out a hole where the blister was, and put it on.  Over that, I added a single layer of athletic tape (without a cut-out).  With this applied, the pressure was moved away from the blister and to the surrounding area.  For the next workout, two days later, I switched to my KSOs and added some Injinji performance crew socks.  I had no problems from the blister during the workout, though it still took a few days after that before it healed.
allawayr

allawayr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 07:53:51 AM »

In fact, the skin on the soles of my feet is a bit sore today. And there's that annoying blister on my little toe. I'm going to be cautious tomorrow...

Tell me more about "overdoing it" with your VFFs. What happened?

Alan

Well, I had a preexisting injury (slight tear in the gastroc/soleus complex) that was mishandled  by the athletic trainers I was dealing with - it took me out for most of my outdoor track season this spring. Anyway, I was building up mileage again in regular shoes and also running in VFFs occasionally. I ended up increasing my VFF mileage too quickly (from 1 mile every couple days to 3-4 miles back to back days) and reinjured my calf. By now I've developed a fibrosis and while I can still run am going through physical therapy to help get rid of it.

By running barefoot on asphalt, this same thing shouldn't happen to me - the soles of my feet will wear out before my calf does - so hopefully I won't reinjure my leg. The other problem is that BF/VFF running puts more stress on the calf muscles (an inherent attribute of the midfoot strike) than does running in normal shoes.

That being said, I am looking to eventually get more mileage out of VFFs when I'm confident I won't hurt myself. That being said, I do most other activities in them so it's not as if they are gathering dust in a closet!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/yawalla
Better Living Through Nutrition: http://livingthroughnutrition.wordpress.com/
AlanT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 08:47:14 AM »

The other problem is that BF/VFF running puts more stress on the calf muscles (an inherent attribute of the midfoot strike) than does running in normal shoes.

I'm learning the truth of that! <g> I didn't run yesterday, simply because my calf muscles were so tight. Got back to it today, though, and did a very pleasant 5K barefoot run. A lovely, cool summer morning here in southern Ontario, which helped make for a really great run. I also found that I'm getting back to a decent pace while running barefoot. Now, I have to work carefully at building BF distance; over time, I'll work at increasing my pace too.

So, since my first barefoot run last Tuesday, I've run 16K BF. I'm really happy about that, and looking forward to what happens in the coming week (and weeks). Thanks to you folks for being there and being supportive. It helps a lot!

Alan

koffeekev

koffeekev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »

You all (especially Alan) make me wish I didn't waste so much of my life smoking cigarettes. Perhaps someday i'll be able to run a carefree 5K. Happy 4th. Kevin

kso black x 4
kso gray x1
kso flow black x1
kso treksport black x1
kso trek black x 2
kso trek brown x 3
classic tan x1
seeya's black neon x1
vivo aqueous black x1
vivo aqueous grey x1
vivo dharma black x1
vivo aqua brown x1
merrill radius glove b
AlanT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 12:38:29 PM »

I hear you, Kevin. I quit smoking 18 years ago, and before that, was up to about 2 1/2 packs a day. I can't imagine trying to run with a nicotine habit.

That said, you also have to remember that my BF running comes on top of a winter of hard training (shod) for a series of races that started for me in February of this year. Two weeks ago today, I ran a 50K ultra.

Alan

AlanT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 02:33:03 PM »

Had a wonderful 10K BF run this morning - and wrote about it on my running blog.

http://thwaits.wordpress.com/

Alan

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: