BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 22, 2014, 10:43:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kickboxing class  (Read 1231 times)
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »

I donned by blue camo KSOs to a kickboxing cardio class at the gym. They had great grip and the lightness of my feet was really fun. Maybe too fun since I put in a little too much umph into things and forgot about my bad knee which decided to give out. Sad

So I'm out for a week or so till the swelling goes down and then I'll hit the gym for some strength/stabilization training. Looks like I'm be back on my bike for a while too, which isn't a bad thing Wink Next time I'm going to spin class or yoga.

I'll miss my vff running, but at least it's still warm enough to wear my VFFs here without socks, even classics. Smiley
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »

ashotis

ashotis is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »

Oh! I am sorry about your knee! I am waiting for the new year to go get an MRI on my knee. I may have a torn lateral ligament and a torn meniscus in my left knee and possibly something wrong with my ACL. Fun Fun! My dr told me that I shouldn't do yoga. Bleh! But I'm stubborn..

Good luck with your knee :]

All you need is love!
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:14:53 PM »

My dr told me that I shouldn't do yoga.

Whuh?  I mean, some yoga poses are definitely knee-stressors, but all yoga?  That makes no sense to me.  (No Savasana for you!)

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
ashotis

ashotis is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »

My dr told me that I shouldn't do yoga.

Whuh?  I mean, some yoga poses are definitely knee-stressors, but all yoga?  That makes no sense to me.  (No Savasana for you!)

Specifically, knee stressors, yes.
I think he pretty much such no yoga to be safe, you know?
When he told me what he thought might be seriously wrong, it kind of broke my spirit.. :[ I haven't been to yoga since September. I think he was being a little dramatic so I am really trying to get back into it and running, as well.. I'm still working on it.  Embarrassed

All you need is love!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »

Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

Again, that seems over cautious, and suggests a misunderstanding of what yoga's about.

Given yoga's insistence on listening to your body and respecting its limitations, I'd argue that you need more yoga, not less.

That said, you'd obviously want to talk with your instructor about poses that don't hurt your knees.  There are always modifications to poses - if you can move at all, you can do yoga - fragile elderly people, the bedridden, people with AIDS, paraplegics... all of these can, and do do yoga, and benefit from it. 

Your doctor would serve you better if he explained, more specifically, what you should or should not do (don't stand with knees locked...  don't flex your knee past so many degrees... avoid standing on one leg... etc.) since yoga includes a number of poses (like Legs-Up-The-Wall Pose, or Savasana (Corpse pose)) that would be beneficial to your knee.

Obviously, a full-bore ashtanga sequence is right out, but Gentle Yoga, with modifications... I honestly don't know what your doctor's on about there.  If that sort of thing is too dangerous, well, then you should be lying in bed not moving, because simply walking around the house is more stressful.

Now, these poses should be avoided, but they are not all of the poses by any means.

You might find these two links interesting as well.

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
Zombee88

Zombee88 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 01:25:51 AM »

I'd work on squats for better knees.
ashotis

ashotis is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:26:53 AM »

Again, that seems over cautious, and suggests a misunderstanding of what yoga's about.

Given yoga's insistence on listening to your body and respecting its limitations, I'd argue that you need more yoga, not less.

That said, you'd obviously want to talk with your instructor about poses that don't hurt your knees.  There are always modifications to poses - if you can move at all, you can do yoga - fragile elderly people, the bedridden, people with AIDS, paraplegics... all of these can, and do do yoga, and benefit from it. 

Your doctor would serve you better if he explained, more specifically, what you should or should not do (don't stand with knees locked...  don't flex your knee past so many degrees... avoid standing on one leg... etc.) since yoga includes a number of poses (like Legs-Up-The-Wall Pose, or Savasana (Corpse pose)) that would be beneficial to your knee.

Obviously, a full-bore ashtanga sequence is right out, but Gentle Yoga, with modifications... I honestly don't know what your doctor's on about there.  If that sort of thing is too dangerous, well, then you should be lying in bed not moving, because simply walking around the house is more stressful.

Now, these poses should be avoided, but they are not all of the poses by any means.

You might find these two links interesting as well.

Thank you for such an informative response.. Thank you! I don't think he wanted to give me specific limitations until we got the MRI. I feel better when I do yoga.. I have felt like crap lately :[ I really need to get back into it..

All you need is love!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: