BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 20, 2014, 04:14:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey (prehensile) toes :-)  (Read 9178 times)
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »

I wonder ... how many of us here have the ability, or even the habit, to grasp small objects, or pick things up, with (bare) toes?
I do, and consider it a natural thing, but I did notice that it does surprise some people.
(I am not talking about VFFs now ... that, I believe, would be a challenge even for me!)
Do you also have "monkey toes"?
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »

runnerbean

runnerbean is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:28:45 AM »

i can pick up marbles but a pencil is beyond me Wink although it is something i keep trying , it's my competitive nature i think. Tongue
johnmjoy

johnmjoy is a new face.

Big Green Space Piggy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:35:29 AM »

I'm annoyed by the fact that I can't seem to get my middle three toes to move independently - they want to work as a group.

I'd also like an opposable big toe.  I suppose if I ever became rich and nutty (like a certain deceased pop star), I'd hire a team of surgeons to make it happen.  Of course, my VFFs wouldn't fit any longer, but if I were rich (and nutty) enough to afford the surgery, I'd probably be able to get Vibram to custom make some for me.   Grin

Space Piggy's Hoofprint:

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmjoy/
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »

Runnerbean, you made me try it ... For the record:  I can pick up a pencil from the floor with either foot, holding it.between the toes and the ball of my foot.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »

runnerbean

runnerbean is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »

damn you gryllus Wink  i'm going to spend all weekend practising now  LOL Grin
johnmjoy

johnmjoy is a new face.

Big Green Space Piggy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:08:40 AM »

OK, I did it.  Picked it up and dropped it on my desk.

Space Piggy's Hoofprint:

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmjoy/
Adam C

Adam C is starting to look familiar.Adam C is starting to look familiar.

Free Weezy Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 10:43:45 AM »

I typed this with my toes...and then corrected the grammar with my fingers lol

I LIKE TURTLES!
vwater69

vwater69 is a new face.

walking through dandelions and horsesh*t!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:57:41 AM »

Guilty as charged! I can even write with my feet. Considering I've broken my toes a total of 26....YES TWENTY-SIX times, I'm surprised how dexterous my feet and toes are.
 Grin
Victoria

I don't want to be on my deathbed, and have regrets of those things I 'didn't do'.
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »

I can write with my feet... sort of.  It requires a large pen to pull it off.  I can also pick up and toss things with my feet.

Sometimes I like to grab the cat's tail with my toes... which always causes her to give me A Look.  Cheesy

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
bigtruckguy3500

bigtruckguy3500 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »

There was a time when my feet would begin to cramp up if I tried doing anything with my toes.  Thanks barefooting and my new found foot strength that I can pick up pencils (just tried it), marbles, golfballs, etcs. with my feet.
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »

I just picked up a pen, a small bike pump and one of my Vivo shoes off the floor. Not all at once, of course!

I use the gap in between my big toe and 'index' toe and curl the toes round the objects. Wonder if that's cheating... Wink

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
Alex.JMD

Alex.JMD is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »

Yeah, I most commonly use the space between my big toe and second toe to pick things up. With the Vibrams on, I curl them all in and the way the ball of the sole buckles into the toes, I can pick up a lot of things, more than with my bare feet actually. I can pick up balls of paper, clothes, pencils, and even small pieces of wood (all stuff I drop at school). I can even put papers in between my toes and hand foot them off to people while still sitting in my desk. It's great!
BigR

BigR is starting to look familiar.BigR is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 08:11:22 PM »

I constantly pick things up with my toes VFF clad or not i pick up keys, pens, leashes, phones, iPods, and even TV remotes.

"The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot."
I want to smother the guy who said we need arch support...
inbetweenmytoes

inbetweenmytoes is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »

4 months ago, I had no foot dexterity at all. I had a big toe and a flipper. VFF wearing and barefoot training have given me spreadable toes. After reading this thread, I am going to try using those toes to pick things up, perhaps learn a few "monkey-like" tricks. I'll pass on the following trick, however:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG4vtRMCuRo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG4vtRMCuRo</a>
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:38:09 PM by inbetweenmytoes » Logged

Nathan
inbetweenmytoes.com

"Your possessions should set you free like a boat or a pair of hiking boots. If you work for your possessions and they don't set you free, what are you working for?"  Billy Harris
I know... replace hiking boots w/ VFF
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 01:39:13 PM »

I have always been told that i have monkey feet -- even by my parents growing up.  I have very long toes... 

was at a barefoot running clinic by Michael Sandler (author of Barefoot Running), in NYC last night and he had us picking up golf balls with our toes! I was able to do that easily. 

My challenge to all of us competitive people -- try picking up a bar of soap in the shower with your feet! LOL! I have been trying that for a long time...close but not quite that dexterous...yet!!

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: