BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 28, 2014, 11:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyline Trail, Jasper Alberta (warning, picture heavy)  (Read 2644 times)
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »

Finally back at my computer, and I thought I'd post some pictures of the hike I just completed with my wife.  We started off with way too much gear, and it kind of took a toll on us. The last portion of the trail was insane.

Our first day had fantastic weather. about 18 degrees celsius and sunny, which was perfect for backpacking. Not too hot or cold.  We crossed over a bunch of little streams like this one.

Here is a view from our campsite the first night.

The second day we had some crazy weather. 30 hours of torrential downpours, and a huge thunderstorm too. I wore my bikilas that day, and they felt good even though wet. My feet didn't move in them at all. It was about 4 degrees at night, and we got soaked.

With 31k left, we decided to go for the end on day 3 when we saw the sun rise in a clear sky. I threw my treks on for day 3 and we did it. It was crazy, especially given the elevation gain we had. We gained about 1k of elevation that day, and then lost 1.5k in the last couple of hours.

We found some snow after a pass here,

My wife on our way up to 'The Notch', a 2510m high summit. That was the longest, steepest thing I've ever climbed. The treks gave me great grip on the partially melted snow and the loose shale at the top of the summit.

On this 'foot-shot', you can see Mount Edith Cavell and the Athabaska river in the background. It was a fantastic view from up top!!

We walked along a very long section of ridge before decending downwards. We crested another mountain, and then went down for the next couple of hours on an old fire road until we hit the trailhead. It was a brutal day, 31k with all that gear on, especially when we could have gone with 1/4 of the food we brought. Still though, it was a great trip!!

If you ever find yourself in the Canadian Rockies and like to backpack, this trail is rated the most outstanding by a number of sources. It isn't overly hard to do elevation wise, yet you spend 60% of the hike above the treeline, and get some stunning views. Happy trails!!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »

delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »

Awesome! I love the pictures.

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
7 miles

7 miles is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »

WOW thank you so much for my virtual vacation. i really enjoyed those pics.
PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

OMG man that is so awesome!  I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do something like that!

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

AMD64Blondie

AMD64Blondie is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »

Absoutely beautiful pictures.
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:22:29 PM »

Thanks!!

I'm excited, I've got another one of these treks lined up for the first week in September. He saw the pictures, and really wants to go. I'm going to do the Rockwall in Kooteney National park, a couple hours south of where these shots were taken. It's a tougher trail, much more physically demanding.

I can't wait to get out there and do it all over again!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 03:00:53 PM »

Congratulation! I am afraid that I just found that Im not immune to envy.
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »

Spectacular!

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: