BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 21, 2014, 06:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ocean? Maybe?  (Read 3235 times)
Gdawg2014

Gdawg2014 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »

I'm down at the beach and I was wandering if I could wear my KSO's in the water. Does the salt water hurt them At all?
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »

delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »

I think the purpose is of the KSOs where to be an all around shoe land and sea. The salt shouldnt hurt them, especially if your sweat doesn't. It wouldnt be a bad idea to wash them off once you are done in the ocean. 

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »

I've done beach running in my KSOs.  I've run along the water's edge as well and gotten them very wet.  The salty ocean water didn't seem to hurt them at all.  Though it does seem to enhance the dreaded VFF stink, but a good washing took care of that!  Whew! Shocked
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:12:35 PM by jmijares » Logged

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
Gdawg2014

Gdawg2014 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »

Thanks, this was very helpful
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »

sbslider

sbslider is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »

I have worn mine in the ocean, no problems at all.  The only thing I don't like is that very fine sand gets into them, and it is a bit of a chore to clean out.  Not a big deal, but you do need to work a bit to get it all out, especially in the toe pockets. 
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »

For the toe pockets I use an old toothbrush to get in there.
Sprints and classics for me so better vision but should be ok on kso

Jason

Striped Toad

Striped Toad is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »

I just wear mine in the shower after salt water or trail run. Seems that cleans em out.
TenToes

TenToes is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »

Definitely!

Fine sand, yeah a bit of a hassle... but worth it!
Douglas

Douglas is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »

I've used mine at the beach numerous times.  No issues with the salt water, and I swim in them (I do rinse them off at the end of the day though).   Also, I'm amazed at how little sole-wear I've noticed even though I hike along rough/jagged rocks.  But the sand is a pain in the ass though...it actually seems like the sand WANTS to stay in the shoes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:43:10 PM by Douglas » Logged
meriellyn

meriellyn is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »

Yeah, getting sand out of VFFs is a pain in the rear. I love wearing my Sprints at the beach/in the ocean but after the first trip I washed them out twice and really tried to rinse out all the sand, only to find sand in there once again when I put them on the next time. So I still rinse them off/out well but don't worry so much about it because it's easier to shake the rest out once they dry, before I head out to get 'em dirty again. Of course, these are my Sprints specifically for swimming, cleaning, mucking about, etc so I'm not exactly concerned with them being pristine. The saltwater has had no effect thus far. I don't leave them out in the sun to dry or anything so I haven't experienced any fading (bright blue on blue Sprints). I haven't used them in chlorine yet but if/when I do I have some bathing suit cleaner that is supposed to neutralize chlorine so I'll probably try that on them.

The warning I can think of for beach, etc + VFFs (besides sand) is don't wear Classics in moving water because they're not as secure so you might lose a shoe. KSOs or Sprints should be fine though.
Me_Brzozowski

Me_Brzozowski is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »

What about wearing them in a river? My gf and I swim about a mile and would like to wear our Bikila LS in it but don't know if they will be ok.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:29:24 PM »

What about wearing them in a river? My gf and I swim about a mile and would like to wear our Bikila LS in it but don't know if they will be ok.

You would probably be fine, but I would not use that particular shoe as a beach/ocean shoe.  There are other models that are more conducive to those environments.  if it is your only pair, they would probably work fine.  be mindful it may be mroe difficult to completely get sand out of them and they are going to take longer to dry than say a KSO.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Me_Brzozowski

Me_Brzozowski is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »

You would probably be fine, but I would not use that particular shoe as a beach/ocean shoe.  There are other models that are more conducive to those environments.  if it is your only pair, they would probably work fine.  be mindful it may be mroe difficult to completely get sand out of them and they are going to take longer to dry than say a KSO.

Yeah I only go to the river and would use them for just jogging and everyday wear. Would you recommend KSO's for water or Flow's?
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »

Would you recommend KSO's for water or Flow's?

KSOs should be fine and are a better all around shoe than flows.  Flows are warmer and most people who own them use them for colder climates, often with Injinji socks.  If you are not out in cold climates KSOs should work nicely. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: