BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 26, 2014, 07:04:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tough Mudder Georgia  (Read 4045 times)
Rickabaw

Rickabaw is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »

I finally got to partake in Tough Mudder this past Saturday (03/12/2011) and what a blast it was. If you've never heard of it, go here http://toughmudder.com/ It was a 12+ mile offroad course full of mud, countless obstacles, mud, hills, and lots more mud. All I've got to say is that I am soooo happy that I wore my KSOs.

There were so many complaints from fellow mudders about heavy, waterlogged, blister-inducing shoes. I have never seen so many shoes just discarded on the side of the course. By mile 8-10, there were areas that became shoe graveyards from so many people giving up on their traditional shoes. Many of the racers had to tie their shoes to the point of cutting of circulation to attempt to "keep stuff out" and keep shoes on but with my VFFs, I had no problems. The water drained from the shoes within a few strides, and the velcro fastener kept stuff out. Sure I still got some dirt in them but it was expected and not bothersome. Let me just say, I did not get a single "hot spot," much less blister anywhere on my feet during the day. This has never happened to me before. I was definitely glad I paired the KSOs with some Injinji crew sport socks for the race. It was the first time I'd ever worn them so I was gambling but it definitely paid off. The socks did make it so I retained more water, but they paid off with less friction.

I lost count of the compliments, comments, and jealous (yet usually humorous) remarks that I received during the event. It was especially hilarious when I saw one runner in particular who had discarded his shoes and socks around mile 5. When I ran beside him, I asked how his feet were feeling now that he was literally running barefoot. He boldly began to say (before looking at my feet) "Better than yours!" But before he could finish, he looked down and saw my feet and with a sigh just said "Oh! never mind."

The only disadvantage I think I had with the KSOs, was the lack of traction on the extremely slippery/ muddy portions of the trail. When trying to run up a steep, muddy hill, it would've been nice to have some tread like on some TrekSports or Komodos, but hey, what are friends are for if not to lend a helping hand to pull you up that last 2-3 feet of hill. Another thing I found was that if I was running down a long muddy hill, it was near impossible to stop. I had to yell ahead a couple times so I didn't run into anyone. There was one point where I was literally skiing down this muddy mountain of a hill. It added to the fun though.

It was great to see other VFFs as well. I saw some Bikilas, Komodos, TrekSports, but the most common were the good ol' KSOs. There may have been 1 in every 100+ had on VFFs...probably less than that unfortunately and there were several thousand runners. About 2 hours before my wave started, I got to talking with someone wearing Skeletoes. He said it was the first time he'd ever worn them and that he'd never worn any minimalist shoe before much less a toe shoe. I did the best I could to basically warn him that he would probably get some nasty blisters for this being his first time...a 12 mile trail run...yikes. I let him know I trained in mine for 4 months and still get the occasional blister on the pinky toe. I think he decided to switch to some tennis shoes, I'm not sure.

Anyway, now that I've rambled for a while, I think I'll finish up. I just wanted to let everyone know that wearing VFFs for this event was the best decision I made. If anybody else was there or at another Tough Mudder or similar event, feel free to comment.

One you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.
-Dan Gable
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »

Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »

You sold me.

I'm running in my KSOs

Saying "5716 People entered a race, and I beat 5021 of them" is way cooler than telling people you came in 695th"
Rickabaw

Rickabaw is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:51:08 PM »

You sold me.

I'm running in my KSOs

Glad to hear it! Which event are you doing? I signed up again to do Tampa in December. I can't wait to run it in TrekSports!

-Dan Gable
Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:08:23 AM »

Beaver Creek Co. June 26th @ 10:20am  Grin

Saying "5716 People entered a race, and I beat 5021 of them" is way cooler than telling people you came in 695th"
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:08:23 AM »

Rickabaw

Rickabaw is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:34:36 AM »

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-Dan Gable
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 07:08:49 PM »

I've seen several people say that they have or will run this type of mud race (Tough Mudder, Muddy Buddy, Warrior Dash, etc.) in KSOs. Why aren't the ones with better traction on the bottom (Treks, Treksports) more popular for this kind of race?
Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »

after having thought it out- I'm running in Komodo Sports for exactly that reason.

Rickabaw

Rickabaw is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »

It's probably because most people have KSOs to begin with. I bought TrekSports after the TM in GA and will run the Tampa event in them. I would have loved to use TrekSports at the first run but I didn't have them.

-Dan Gable
FL Runner

FL Runner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 01:45:27 PM »

You sold me.

I'm running in my KSOs

Glad to hear it! Which event are you doing? I signed up again to do Tampa in December. I can't wait to run it in TrekSports!

Just checked out the site and I'm gonna do the Tampa, just don't know if I'll go with my KSO or Bikilia.....either way looks like a blast!!

"I just felt like running." - Forrest Gump
Opportunity is often passed up because it is disguised as hard work.
Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »

Well... I DID IT- I finished Tough Mudder CO so now I'm a head band wearer too

HERE is my write up on the experience-  have a lot of work to do on my downhill form, but definitly going to run another one! It's like a sickness I think...

Ran in Komodo Sports as stated in posts above... and the distance was under advertised as the OP stated above... LoL

Philip
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:56:35 PM by Cheese » Logged

Rickabaw

Rickabaw is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 05:10:36 PM »

Awesome. Congratulations! There's nothing like finally putting that orange headband on! I can't wait for Tampa. December is so close!!

-Dan Gable
xtrain_willy

xtrain_willy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »

I did the April Mudder in Allentown in the KSOs.  They totally rocked.  Every "regular" shoe person I spoke to had slipped and fallen and I was dashing all around them, especially during the Cool Runnings.  Got tons of questions on them and unlike 90% of the other mudders, I didn't have to throw out my shoes at the end.  I washed them and as good as new Smiley

Two complaints I had were: The soles are definitely thin and rocks really hurt towards the end.  These ain't trail shoes.  And, I should have worn socks.  I had terrible cuts on the base knuckle of my big toes because of the dirt and sand rubbing raw skin especially down the ski slopes.  Downhill was brutal.

I'm doing the Oct one in VA and just bought Treksports in black.  I've already done 4 and 6 mile runs in them with socks (not to mention wearing all week) and they will be great for Mudder.  Like Rickabaw, my feet would have benefited from treads.

To be honest, I'm actually liking the Treksports to replace my bikilas when I do regular road work.  My feet tend to ache/hurt after in bikilas and the extra treads give just enough cushion plus on a hot day, the road can get your feet burning but the treads help there too.  I'm quickly becoming a fan of this model.

Can't wait for next Mudder!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: