BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 02, 2014, 10:03:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail running & hiking in VFF  (Read 2000 times)
Ziggy

Ziggy is a new face.

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »

I"m going camping for a week in the Pocono Mts. and I am brining my VFF. Can anyone give me some tips or advice on using them for trail running/ fast pace hiking.

I ALREADY POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER SECTION BUT THEN SAW THIS ONE SO CAN A MODERATOR PLEASE REMOVE MY OTHER THREAD.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:54:58 PM by Ziggy » Logged

TrekSports, Sprints, Hattori
« on: July 16, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »

Komodo1988

Komodo1988 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »

you can delete your own threads i think. and isnt it spelled pace?
Ziggy

Ziggy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »

EDIT: I figured out how to remove the other topic.

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »

Which VFFs do you have?  I went on a hike at the Stawamus Chief two months ago and my KSO Treks did great!  I bumped into rocks and roots and the roo leather didn't even get scratched.  I also used my Bikila LSs for half marathon trail run on mostly fire roads and wall traveled dirt paths.  No problems with those either.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »

Ziggy

Ziggy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »

Yeah I have the KSO Trek in black thanks for the feedback. By the the way, how does that roo skin hold up in water?

dredone

dredone is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 06:13:46 PM »

I do multi-day packpacking with my KSO Treks and love 'em.  I occasionally stub a toe (not fun) and they can be slippery a bit around rocks/streams.

My only watch out was getting them soaked in a torrential 5 hour downpour...they recover fine but a FIRE at night was ESSENTIAL to drying them.  I take backup sandals or whatever is super light.

(I abandoned my Yosemite hike last year after 2 days due to an incoming early snow storm.  We got lucky since the major inroad was closed for the season...ANYWAY, I am just not sure how my KSO's would have done hiking in snow.)

have fun!  I'll be using them in the North Cascades right after Labor Day this year!
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:30:50 AM »

I'm heading into the backcountry just outside of Jasper, Alberta in the Rockies in a week from now. It's usually relatively dry here, but I am bringing my bikilas and my clunky hiking boots in my pack with me just in case we encounter snow (which is pretty likely this year). I'm doing the 44k hike in my leather treks, but I'll switch out if it gets really wet or I need to do a river crossing. We are going to be in high-altitude forests, and no fires are allowed, so if they get wet i may hold them over my camp stove (carefully) to help dry em out.

I've been working up my distance fully loaded in some hilly local trails, and I can comfortably do what I used to do in boots in my treks. Only difference is I can do that distance without giving myself blisters. I used to hike in a pair of Magnum combat boots which I used when I was in the CF. I've always been in between sizes in any type of combat boots and they would all make hamburger out of my feet, even the fancy light ones. I'm really looking forward to giving it a go in the leather treks/bikilas.

It's great, as long as you don't have to hike over long sections of jagged rocks or through deep snow!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
desertVFFrunner

desertVFFrunner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »

I take it a little more cautiously on the trails and try to avoid stepping directly on rattlesnakes. Just watch out for big rocks and tree roots. Have a great trip.

Treksport Fan!
AMD64Blondie

AMD64Blondie is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 01:52:24 AM »

What about the Sprints for hiking? Any thoughts would be welcome...
Ziggy

Ziggy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »

Thanks for the advice, had a great time in the mountains with the Treks, I went on a few day hikes with them and wore them casually all week.

Not sure Speeds would do so well in the conditions.

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »

Sprints might be slippery on rocks and also the openness of the shoe could easily lead to top of foot injuries from scrapes and such.  Probably not a wise choice.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »

I tried that last weekend and all I can say is OUCH when it comes to big pointy rocks (I thought my feet were pretty tough after wearing VFFs for a year and a half, but 4 solid miles of rocky trail did them in).  Also, they get no traction whatsoever in mud, so going up and down a steep muddy hillside was quite the adventure.  Unless I know the trail's going to be dry and relatively smooth I'm sticking with my Treks from now on.
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »

Treks, Treks, Treks! Ziggy, I haven't used them for "water" activities but I've done trail runs in them that took me through mud and shallow creeks, and the only way to get them clean again was with a hose. They dried out just fine and the roo leather held up well. But if you're asking about wearing them for, say, swimming in a river - I'd stick with my KSOs for that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: