BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 21, 2014, 05:59:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 83
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do barefoot or in VFF today?  (Read 95252 times)
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 04, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

After years of wearing regular shoes I realized something yesterday in my VFF's...  how much I LOVED doing things barefoot but never could.  My feet never had the toughness to walk outside barefoot, now I can.  I always loved driving barefoot, but it's illegal, but now I can.  Over the last two days I drove well over 1000 miles barefoot (one day in VFF's the next bare).

So today in my VFF's i drove barefoot and it made me realize how much I wanted to be barefoot all these years.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
« Reply #345 on: September 04, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

Shiraz-mataz

Shiraz-mataz is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 04, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »

...I always loved driving barefoot, but it's illegal, but now I can.

Justin, just so you know, it is NOT illegal to drive barefoot ANYWHERE in the U.S.!
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 04, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »

Justin, just so you know, it is NOT illegal to drive barefoot ANYWHERE in the U.S.!
[/quote

Yup, not illegal to drive naked... well at least from the ankles down anyway.....   Cheesy

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

I moved out of my b/f's house today in KSO Treks... moving sucks.. but breaking up sucks even more.. Cry

So is life..  Cool I will survive

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

pjgh

pjgh is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »

You will, Stef! Bummer ...
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »

Apparently I was mistaken and fell victim to the urban legend.  I have ALWAYS enjoyed driving barefoot just never thought I was allowed

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: September 04, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »

I moved out of my b/f's house today in KSO Treks... moving sucks.. but breaking up sucks even more.. Cry

So is life..  Cool I will survive

Boo! Well I hope everything works out for you.

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
Peter

Peter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 05, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »

I got assaulted by a bee on my run this morning.   Like, really ... assaulted.  He attacked me out of nowhere and stung me on my forearm.  Thankfully it was the mildest sting I've ever had.  A couple hours later it was nothing but a tiny welt.
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 07, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »

Just got back from my hike in the beautiful Kootenay National Park.  Hiked on the Rockwall trail, and it was one crazy grind. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking, as were the insanely steep ascents over the passes. I went with a good friend of mine, and had a wonderful trip. Though I hate to say it, I had to retire my Treks half way through the second day, due to a knee problem. My friend was just bombing down the trail in his trail runners, and I was stepping a little more carefully in my treks to avoid the big rocks and the roots which covered the trail during the second ridiculously sloped descent we encountered that day. Due to the repetitive careful stepping, and the amount of force that was enacted on my knee from landing forefoot first and slowing myself down with a 40lb pack on, I developed a searing pain in my left knee. Thankfully it only hurt when I walked slowly downhill in that particular way.  For the rest of the hike I threw on my Nike Frees which I packed instead of my clunky hiking boots. I was able to pound down the trail with what I would describe as 'reckless abandon' for anything underfoot.  As much as I enjoyed trekking with my VFFs on my previous hike, I realised that there is a certain point in which some padding underfoot isn't the worst thing in the world. On my last hike, I had no problems with my VFF's, but then again the terrain was a lot less severe.

The Rockwall trail is listed as the most difficult hike in the Canadian Rockies out of two of the guidebooks I have. I know why know, due to the insane amount of elevation gain/loss. I liked going up a lot more than coming down. On day 1 we gained over 1000 meters of elevation, followed  immediately by an 800 meter descent in less than 5k. On day two we gained another 800 meters, then immediately lost another 600 meters and back up again for 400 meters. We levelled off for about 5k, then descended another 800 meters into camp. By that last downhill my knee had enough, and I threw on the Nikes and limped into camp. I think I could do it in VFF's at a later date, but I guess I need to work on my technique for going downhill with a pack on so I am not constantly braking. Until a time when I can do that, the Free's work great as a bad terrain hiking shoe. On the last day, we did a relatively flat 15k section with about 400 meters of drop, though it was all at once. I threw all of my barefoot experience out the window and started heel striking to keep my speed up so I wasn't braking, and my knee didn't bother me at all, except when I landed forefoot and slowed myself down. I brought my flows and they kept my feet pretty warm at camp, even though it was between 0-4 degrees celsius at night and in the mornings. They were fantastic for camp, and good to know I had them for river crossings just in case! A bridge crossing a fairly wide but shallow glacial river was just about to be closed for repairs but the guys working let us over. At least I was prepared! Otherwise we would have had to take a 10+ kilometer detour.

On a side note, there were 2 girls that started the trail at the same time that we did. The only difference was that they were running it. The whole 55 kilometers, plus the distance between trailheads, which put them in for a 70k run in one day, over the craziest terrain I've ever encountered. We ran into other hikers who were doing the trail in the opposite direction, and they all saw the girls running, even over the insanely steep ascents. Those girls were hardcore!!!

I'll have pictures up soon, but I would say it's another fantastic way to spend time in the rockies if you like backpacking and find yourself in southern Alberta/BC.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
JustinB

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 07, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »

Those are some CRAZY distances to run, let alone run them on hard terrain.  wow.

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 07, 2011, 06:46:58 PM »

Both my friend and I thought the same thing. Wow. I wish I could have met them at the end of their run for a high five, because it was one crazy run.

I couldn't believe the number of couples nearing 60 years old doing that same trail. One couple we met said hello, turned off the trail and did a scramble to the top of a peak about 200 meters above one of the passes, with their packs on! It was awesome to see, and I really hope I have that much energy when I am that age. It was an inspiration!

We felt like we were pretty tough setting out to do this really difficult hike, and were definitely humbled by the other people on the trail. I am excited to go back, and most definitely will be!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
JustinB

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 07, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »

Nothing... cut my toe nails too short and it hurts to wear them today..  Sad

Bushrod

Bushrod is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 07, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »

Nothing for me...dropped a paver on my big toe last weekend!
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 07, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »

That is so ridiculous! Be more careful when you give yourself a pedicure!  Tongue

I ran 3 miles yesterday in my Bikila LS (treadmill running.. boring but keeps track of my distance for me +)
Today I only ran 1.75 miles and walked the rest up to 2. My foot felt uncomfortable and didn't want to push it.. always have in the back of my mind "TMTS, take it slow! Listen to your body!" Day off tomorrow, then back at it hopefully..

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
JustinB

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 07, 2011, 10:09:25 PM »

That is so ridiculous! Be more careful when you give yourself a pedicure!  Tongue

Just means I'll wear my Mocs around the house intead of the KSO's.  Little more room for comfort.  :-)

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 83
  Print  

Jump to: