BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 19, 2014, 08:47:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 82
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do barefoot or in VFF today?  (Read 88267 times)
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2011, 04:55:26 AM »

Did a 5 mile run on the beach barefoot the other night and have spent all week in university in the sprints doing freshers fairs.
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2011, 04:55:26 AM »

Shiraz-mataz

Shiraz-mataz is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »

Worked in the yard all day, cutting brush in the woods and then burning it... all 100% barefoot!
vffjeeper04

vffjeeper04 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 01, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »

Ran and passed my Police Academy entrance physical test in my flows!

VFF's: M42 Classics (Walnut/Brown), M41 Flows (Black), M41 Speeds (Black and white), M41 KSO Treks (Black)
Non VFF's: Barefeet, NB Minimus MB10, Inov8 Evoskin M (Smoke)
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 01, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »

Ran and passed my Police Academy entrance physical test in my flows!
Awesome tyring to be a pig while wearing your piggies. Grin  
Seriously though, GREAT!  Going for your act 120 and 235?  One of our local PD's?  I did that years ago but other job opportunities came around.  Other than some private work and weekend security for the gaming commission I never used them.  I kept the cert up for years, but let it lapse.  I was getting older and those psyc interviews were getting harder....  My last went something like this.....

Shrink:  Do consider yourself normal?
Me:  By what standard?
Shrink:  Today's standard.
Me: Based on what?
Shrink:  Based on what you see in current events and in society.
Me:  Well, based on what I see in the news and the fact that my children are not abused, my mom isn't locked in the attic, basement or burried in the back yard.  I don't do drugs, smoke, or drink.  I attend church and have been married for 12 years (at the time)...   I am not over-extended in debt....  Using that as my societies norm, No, I don't consider myself normal.
Shrink:  You really don't want to pass this, do you?
Me:  You asked, I answered....  

I passed... but never re-newed again.... Cheesy

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
« Reply #408 on: October 01, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »

vffjeeper04

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 02, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »

haha nice...I'm going for the Act 120 and for the local PD's for now.

VFF's: M42 Classics (Walnut/Brown), M41 Flows (Black), M41 Speeds (Black and white), M41 KSO Treks (Black)
JD Hammo

JD Hammo is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 02, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »

Took my second SAT test yesterday, trying to get a 40,000 scholarship that I've missed by very small amounts. (30 points the first time on the SAT and then 2 and 1 points on the two times I did the ACT)

:)Felt great about this one though, perhaps my VFFs helped me get in the zone Tongue  plenty of great looks from the teachers and students at the test center though, apparently no one wears them at their school.

Breaking in my new favorite pair of shoes that I've had all my life.
vffjeeper04

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 05, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »

I passed my written exam for the academy!

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »

Congrats.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 05, 2011, 05:48:04 PM »

Way to go!!!!  Awesome!!!  Happy for you!
Just remember, be nice to barefoot'rs.  Especially those driving Rover's, Saab's, MG's or M35a2's (and Jeep's of course). Wink

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
Olarte

Olarte is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: October 05, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »

Well not today, but I went out last Sunday barefoot and went for it. Using my trusty running watch, I ran all 26.2 miles in 4 hrs 14 min.

This was an early birthday present to myself as I will be turning 50 tis month.

Also as a resullt of Chris McDougall and others at the NYC barefoot run from a week earlier who saidimwas ready, and should go for it.

I wore my zensah sleeves, used a metronome at 64 beats every 3rd step which is 192 bpm and ran across two towns up and down hills etc.

I was able to cruise a lot by relaxing and maintaining good form. And never got exhausted et except for a bit of tenderness on the soles the last mile or so.

I felt great the next day except for the tenderness. I'm ordered a pair of Lunas afterseeing Barefoot Teds in NYC and plan to use them th last leg of my long runs just enough so that when I do need them they will be broken in and not cause blisters.

I dunno about others but the marathon was easier than I expected and I suspect it's because of being barefoot, light on the strikes and relaxed.

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

The Journey is  the reward...
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 05, 2011, 08:51:23 PM »

Well done! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've got a long way to go before hitting a marathon, barefoot or not but I'll get there soon enough!

You'll be happy with a pair of lunas to finish the run off with. They have an awesome product!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 06, 2011, 06:24:51 AM »

did a 9k run last night in the flow treaks but took them off and completed the last couple of K barefoot on tarmac. Feet are a little tender afterwards but fine this morning.
noelbodwell

noelbodwell is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 06, 2011, 06:27:50 AM »

Well not today, but I went out last Sunday barefoot and went for it. Using my trusty running watch, I ran all 26.2 miles in 4 hrs 14 min.

This was an early birthday present to myself as I will be turning 50 tis month.

Also as a resullt of Chris McDougall and others at the NYC barefoot run from a week earlier who saidimwas ready, and should go for it.

I wore my zensah sleeves, used a metronome at 64 beats every 3rd step which is 192 bpm and ran across two towns up and down hills etc.

I was able to cruise a lot by relaxing and maintaining good form. And never got exhausted et except for a bit of tenderness on the soles the last mile or so.

I felt great the next day except for the tenderness. I'm ordered a pair of Lunas afterseeing Barefoot Teds in NYC and plan to use them th last leg of my long runs just enough so that when I do need them they will be broken in and not cause blisters.

I dunno about others but the marathon was easier than I expected and I suspect it's because of being barefoot, light on the strikes and relaxed.

Wow!! Nicely done Olarte! Did you run a specific marathon route or map out your own? Light on your feet and relaxed seems to be the magic formula. I don't run trails barefoot, but do wear my Treks for all hiking and running. The cold morning temps will be beckoning me to wear my "other" shoes and I am not looking forward to that. What will you do when the weather gets colder?

Again, congratulations on a fabulous run!
NoŽl
Olarte

Olarte is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: October 06, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »

Well I'm lucky to leave in a great town in New England. Excellent paved roads along the country side.

I have a sportsline watch that is pretty accurate in measuring distances, and so I made the route as I went with road sections that last for from 2 to 5 miles at a clip.

Having just attended the NYC BFR run, I used a lot of the ideas learned to check my form, stay light on my midfoot etc... I was also able to "Cruise" along from time and switch gears at other times.

Also I went up and down long hills the ones that you can see in front of you as you drive on the road. well thanks to Barefoot Ken Bob and his clinic which explained how to just keep moving in almost the same form when going up or down hills, I'm no longer afraid of them or run out  of breath, I just kept my form and took it one step at a time.

I also started running with a metronome at 192 bpm since NYC, and that helps so much with just keeping you going at a very steady pace. I used it for the whole run.

I was surprised that I did not have  any difficulty with my breath, energy, or muscle\knee aches.. sure my calf would want to tense a bit once in a while but I would just think to relax and it would, my big toes would start getting a bit achy knowing they were working with the constant lifting etc... but I would  focus on another aspect of the run and the discomfort would disspipate.

But the biggest surprise was no muscle aching or unusual recovery needed afterwards.

My mind set like in all my previous long runs which had been up to 16 miles just the week prior was to just take it one to 3 steps at a time, and then one leg or section of the run at a time. So it was just a bunch of smaller runs strung together.

AS for the cold, well last years I was only running up to 4 miles but I did  run barefoot through the winter down to 25 F degrees. What I did was bundle up from my ankles up including gloves and hat for the the wind chill.

AS long as it was dry I found that my feet warm up within 5 min and stay warm for the rest and a few hours after.

However this year, since I'm now doing 10 miles or more, I will not be using a treadmill when it's snow or wet, so I plan to use either the Vibrams or Lunas when the ground  is wet or packed with snow.

I can't believe that the Marathon run was easier than I expected. I think it had to do with seeing it as just another run, being inspired and motivate by all the greats that I met and the experience of the NYC Barefoot run, and most importantly the Barefoot running form which uses so much energy and creates very low impact on your body.

And because the Marathon run was without big fanfare, preparation for it etc, I  can now see how people can run 50 miles or more and also that I can do many things if I just  go for it systematically and patiently.

It's funny 18 months ago it took me about 3 months to go up to a mile, then another 3 to go to 4 miles. After that about a year later, it seems that my body just adjusted well and next thing you know within 6 months I went from 5 to 8, 10, 13, 16 and 26.2. And the more I increased the easier it felt.

One more thing that helps me stay motivated is my 10 year Rat Terrier loves to run although he got lame at about 6 miles so even on slow days (not counting rest days) I go at least 3 miles with him then drop him off and go for longer runs. He motivates me to go out, and is a great running partner.

Last of all, I think the key to my success is that I have learned to read my body like a pilot checks the "Dashboard" in a plane. And so whether I run on a given day, or the length and type of run depends on how I feel that day. My minimum is usually a 3 miler with Skip, and then I may do another 6 or more depending on how my body feels that day.

After the Marathon I ran 1 mile two days after with Huaraches and that was just right. A day later I did 3 miles and tomorrow I will probably go back up to 10 or a bit more.

I  see two types of running possible, the one with the running shoes where you stretch for 20 min before and after, exert a lot of energy and each run is a mountain to encounter... (my wife says many runners don't look happy when they run), or running like a primitive man be it a Tarahumara, greek runner, Indian what not. one where you run with little preparation, free like the animals that we are, relaxed and enjoying each step as we connect with the earth and the environment.

I found how to do the latter, and it makes all the difference. I was shocked how easy and enjoyable it was to be on the road for 4 hours, especially when compare how I hate being cramped in a nice comfortable heated seat in my car when I travel say to NYC for the same period of time. A 4 hr drive feels like an eternity, a 4 hour run feels as good or better than a 30 min session of sitting meditation.

Sorry to ramble but I wanted to share my experience with you.

Ivan

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

The Journey is  the reward...
swtmdmboo

swtmdmboo is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 07, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »

Spent the day at Universal Studios in Florida in my Sprints and hand knit socks.  Feet are a little tired but no more so than if I had been in a pair of tennies.  I was surprised to see only one other VFF wearer.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 82
  Print  

Jump to: