BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 18, 2014, 01:46:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Achilles tendonitis  (Read 1527 times)
vffjeeper04

vffjeeper04 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »

From what I've been experiencing and what I looked up, this seems to be the onset to my "posterior" heel pain. When I get up from not moving for awhile or sleeping I can definitely feel it and after I do PT (police academy) I can feel it a little more. Next week is our final PT test and no more PT (I'll still work out) so I'll be able to rest it up but any tips or hints for work outs or general knowledge. I was able to use my NB Minimus's for it and they're great but I don't think I was really ready for all the running we did even though I have ran barefoot a few times at home and ran the track a bunch with my VFF's.

VFF's: M42 Classics (Walnut/Brown), M41 Flows (Black), M41 Speeds (Black and white), M41 KSO Treks (Black)
Non VFF's: Barefeet, NB Minimus MB10, Inov8 Evoskin M (Smoke)
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »

rookhoe

rookhoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »

How pften do you run and what is your average distance? I found that the NB Minimus was more forgiving in terms of Achilles pain.

Furthest distance in VFF: 12 miles
Furthest distance in NB Zero Trail: 12 miles
VFF: KSO M43, Bikila LS M43
Non VFF: NB Minimus Zero Trail
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »

I've been getting some of that achilles pain too, mostly when I stand up and walk after sitting at my desk at work for some time.  It goes away after a few steps.  Usually, I get it because I've been doing high mileage in my Evo IIs.  The only way I got rid of it was to switch over to the Altra Instinct for really long runs and recovery runs after a long run.  I think the extra cushioning helped my feet recover.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
vffjeeper04

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »

I couldn't tell you the exact distance but id say around 2 miles twice a week for pt. It does go away after i walk but can still slightly feel it. Doesnt help im stuck in foot coffins for 8hrs when im normally barefoot or in my vff's

VFF's: M42 Classics (Walnut/Brown), M41 Flows (Black), M41 Speeds (Black and white), M41 KSO Treks (Black)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »

I've been dealing with AT for close to two years.  Since I've quit stretching and now use a foam roller, its much better. I use a high density foam roller both before and after I run, and sometimes use a marble rolling pin.  Check out this video, I found it very helpful.

Calf-Hip Stretch Reflex

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
vffjeeper04

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »

Just did a barefoot run around my block and the pain didn't appear...also biked and walked my dogs around it and didn't really feel it while I was barefoot.

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »

I couldn't tell you the exact distance but id say around 2 miles twice a week for pt. It does go away after i walk but can still slightly feel it. Doesnt help im stuck in foot coffins for 8hrs when im normally barefoot or in my vff's

Having foot coffins on at work used to drive me crazy until I ran across the Vivobarefoot Ra.  It works well in the office and everyone mistakes it for a regular dress shoe.  Adding a little black shoe polish on it makes it nice and shiny and it looks a lot like a formal dress shoe.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
vffjeeper04

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »

Yea well my graduation is in may so getting new shoes is out of the question. I was looking at them too. Sad   Pressing the back of my heel, I can feel the area where the annoyance is...if I gently massage it it dulls a bit. Did a few calf and tendon stretches and seems like that aggravated it a little.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:32:25 PM by vffjeeper04 » Logged

paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »

Check out this video, I found it very helpful.

Thats quite amazing after only rolling for a minute or so
syphen

syphen is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »

I've been running since last summer in VFF's.  Last year I was running 50/50 in a pair of New Balance 760ST's and Bikila LS's.  Besides calf pain, no problems.  Distances were typically 5-6km, 2-3 times a week.    This spring I've ramped up my mileage and switched exclusivly to VFF's. I was Running 10km 3-4 times a week and a 15-20km run once per week.  After a month of this pace, I developed some pretty extreme pain in the back on my ankle and heel. Turns out I've given myself achilles tendonitis.   I've switched back to a pair of Nike Free Run+ 3's for now to add a bit of cushion. Its been 2 weeks since my last "serious" week of running and working out. Starting to feel like crap from not running. I hate it, but the pain was getting un-manageable.  The pain has subsided now and I'd like to slowly work back into VFF's but I think I'll go the next few weeks in the Nike's till my tendons are healed..  and keep my mileage down a little.

Damn body! My cardio can go and go and go..  my legs are my weak point and its frusterating.  If they could hold up, I'd run everyday.

Trek Sport, Trek LS, Bikila LS, Speeds,  Leming Origins
mitro

mitro is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:11:29 AM »

Damn body! My cardio can go and go and go..  my legs are my weak point and its frusterating.  If they could hold up, I'd run everyday.
I'm in the same boat. I'm counting the days since my last run and its depressing. Unfortunately I know its my own doing and my 280lbs+ body just needs more rest and less push.

My tendonitis is on the tendon on the outside of my heel (I forget the name) rather than the achilles, but more than a week after it developed, I can't run 3 steps w/o pulling up (or walk with long-ish strides). For the 6 months previous I didn't have a single injury. A month ago, I signed up for my first 5k ever and unfortunately it is this Sunday and I'll be sitting at home thinking how much I wish I was there and how ready I felt two weeks ago.

And now I'll end my pity party and just imagine that feeling when my VFFs hit the asphalt again. Smiley
syphen

syphen is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »

Its a sad boat to be in!  Angry   I'm only 150lbs to begin with and my recovery times was less then 24 hours - until I started to ramp my mileage up significantly.  Learned my lesson the hard way.

Trek Sport, Trek LS, Bikila LS, Speeds,  Leming Origins
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 01:32:36 AM »

@Junkie Thanks for the video link - it really help if I do the rolling few times a day (including before & after running).

@mitro @syphen

Why don't you take your VFF off  and find yourself a nice, "rocky" if possible, asphalt path/road and start running there, but barefoot (namely without shoes).
This way your feet will guide you through your run and not your brain (ambition or joy of running).

I did similar thing (TMTS - too much too soon) but barefoot on trail path (5k/9k in woods as my 5th or 6th barefoot run), and I felt great but trashed my feet and tendons for few weeks. So now since I can run again, I 'm back at the start, with 2k runs few times a week (on hard asphalt, barefoot) + using minmal shoes at work, and beeing barefoot other parts of my day).

Don't push yourself too much :-)   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: