BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 21, 2014, 04:54:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the vibram five fingers just for running or can they be my everyday shoe?  (Read 1558 times)
kieli

kieli is a new face.

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »

I am a dog trainer so I spend most of my day standing, walking or jogging. I am starting to get pain in my kneecaps and am looking for a good shoe. Can these shoes be used as an everyday shoe?  If I where to walk on terrain other then paved road would it hurt my feet? Are they any good on wet surfaces? Any information would be welcomed.
Thank you, Kieli 
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »

They are good for any and all conditions.  Just choose the right model.  For what you are looking for I would suggest the Komodosport/Komodosport LS or one of the models with a Trek Sole.

Many people on this site use them as everyday shoes and never run.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »

The answer to that is yes! You can definitely have them as an everyday shoe. It'll take some time to get your feet used to them, but it should be easy on the knees. I'd also recommend a trek sole, as it's good on pavement, but much better off road and on wet surfaces. The grip on them is really great in any condition.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
equiraptor

equiraptor is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »

I use VFFs as my daily wear shoe. I wear them for everything that doesn't require some other specialty shoe (on the motorcycle I wear motorcycle boots, in a wheel-to-wheel race I wear fire resistant boots, etc.). One of the things I do involves wandering around a field in south-central Texas. We have a lot of mesquite, and these thorns will go through a car tire. I walk through the field in my VFFs not worried about my feet. Smiley

I don't own any VFFs with the Trek sole.

Sprint Slate/Lichen W39 (first pair, too big), Jaya LR Almond/Copper W37, Bikila LS Black/Grey W37, SmartWool Classic Charcoal W39 (also roomy, but that's nice with the EcoStep sole), W38 KSO Trek Black
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »

Nugget

Nugget is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »

Since I bought my first pair of VFFs in March I have only worn "normal" shoes one time (a funeral).  They're my everyday shoes, my work shoes, and my running shoes.

I can't stand wearing "normal" shoes now.  My toes feel all squished up and like I can't get my balance.

Find me on RunKeeper - I own eight pairs of VFF in seven different styles - I'm hooked
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »

In the summer, I wear Classics almost exclusively.  I also have Speeds for casual wear.  I do not run and I own 9 pair of VFFs.  They are a great shoe for everyday wear.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:46:16 AM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:41:58 PM »

I only wear Vibram FiveFingers.  I don't wear "normal" shoes anymore. 

I switched immediately from wearing my old shoes to the FiveFingers and had no issues.  I already had pretty calloused feed though because I walk around barefooted all the time.  I think since I have started wearing them I wore my previous show one other time. 

You may want a trek sole if you plan on going on rocky terrain often.  KSO Trek, Trek LS, TrekSport, & Bormio all have the Trek Sole which offers a little more protection for off road. 

I put my old shoe on a few days ago to see what they were like.  They were way heavier then I remember.  Two to Three times heavier then the most heavy pair of FiveFingers.  It felt like I was walking in wooden clogs.  I really can't believe I used to walk around in those. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »

You may want to go with the Trek LS or the Bormio if there is a high likelihood that doggie toe nails will be stepping on your VFFS.  Since they are both Kangaroo leather they would be more durable than other models.  The Trek sole that both of these have has lugs for traction and would indeed be good for wet terrain.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »

If you get a discreet color, yes. If you get a flamboyant color that doesn't match any of your clothing (older Bikila models are notoriously bad with respect to this)... probably not, unless that's how you dress normally.

The Trek LS/Bormio/Trek/Speed, black version of Flow/Treksport/KSO, or Classic/Sprints (if you're a lady) are pretty nondescript unless someone is truly paying attention (from the front not the side...or from the back when you pick your foot up far enough). Komodosport LS/ Bikila LS also blend in pretty well until people notice the toe separation because it looks as though they were sneakers (the back looks like a normal sneaker). Actually if you're a woman you can get away with any of them in nondescript colors because the other models are either ballet flat/ mary-jane styled.

The ones with the strap at the back tend to blend in less if you get a odd color because the strap stands out as different from normal footwear. If you like attention then it's okay but sometimes you don't want to spend minutes explaining to a random stranger.

EDIT: Disclaimer, the above is personal opinion.

People wear them for pretty much everything save for fire-proof/foot protection required situations though. (Auto racing, motorcycling, hard-hat required areas)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:28:39 PM by acc » Logged

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
The_Dingman

The_Dingman is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »

I wear my black KSOs any time I'm out and not working.

Shoes with toes all year, and mittens on my hands in the winter.  Screw your sense of "normal".
Kryx

Kryx is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 02:28:48 AM »

I wear my black KSOs to work every day. Sometimes brown classics w/ brown socks. Rarely grey/blue sprint.

Dress pants and dress shirt.
ghost

ghost is a new face.

Remember Powell-Peralta Skateboards???

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 02:43:28 AM »

I wear my VFF's for everyday use, especially at work.  I work at a sporting goods store and they don't mind I wear them, only time I have to switch to regular shoes is when we have a truck delivery; after that's all unloaded then I switch back to my VFF's.

I have a body of a god...unfortunately it's Buddah
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 08:42:39 AM »

I'm at work and wearing mine right now...

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
Marisha

Marisha is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:37:06 AM »

I wear mine to work so often that I've become known as the girl with those toe shoes.
JustinB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 09:39:18 AM »

I wear mine to work so often that I've become known as the girl with those toe shoes.

The guys in the warehouse just said..."oh no... those shoes again?"

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: