BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 30, 2014, 10:14:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: College running?  (Read 403 times)
Dexter_Morgan23

Dexter_Morgan23 is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »

Well first off just wanted to say I just found out yesterday I got accepted to my college of choice!!!! Cheesy

but secondly, is there anyone here who ran in college? or is in college and runs? how did it go? when did you run? any tips for time management?

Proud owner of my first pair of Red Remix KSOs as of 08/12/11 at 12:13 pm Cheesy
Leming Natural Origins, Invisible shoes 6mm and 4mm, Altra Adam, Altra Samson (March 5thish), Newton MV2, Aguias Spartan 1
www.minimalistandlovingit.blogspot.com
www.barefootfarm.org Support the Tarahumara
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:57:34 PM »

Well first off just wanted to say I just found out yesterday I got accepted to my college of choice!!!! Cheesy

but secondly, is there anyone here who ran in college? or is in college and runs? how did it go? when did you run? any tips for time management?

Where are you going? You can look up places around the college, see if they have any trails or clubs.  Schoolwork and social life should keep you pretty busy.. but there's always time to RUN.  You'll have to find/make the time.  Do a little of your schoolwork everyday and plan around social events/parties.  Don't party too hard, though  Wink

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
Dexter_Morgan23

Dexter_Morgan23 is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »

But of course! school and running most of all Grin

Thinking early nights, early mornings and try out doing my runs in the morning since in theory that would be the best available time.

But being college doubt that would last long. lol Hell, I still don't have a routine for my runs xD

Proud owner of my first pair of Red Remix KSOs as of 08/12/11 at 12:13 pm Cheesy
Leming Natural Origins, Invisible shoes 6mm and 4mm, Altra Adam, Altra Samson (March 5thish), Newton MV2, Aguias Spartan 1
www.minimalistandlovingit.blogspot.com
www.barefootfarm.org Support the Tarahumara
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »

I will tell you right now... you will find yourself wanting to do runs at 1 and 2 am on weeknights.  Our gym was 24 hours and it would be the middle of the night and I would getthe urge to go workout. 

On weekends, you will be midday... right after the hangover goes away.

Congrats and enjoy.  The one thing I tell people is to remember there is a difference between school and college.  Keep the school in mind, but experience college.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »

jayesel

jayesel is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »

I used to, and still run, at around 5 or 6 pm after my classes were done for the day. I used to run in my college campus' gym at around 6. I did have a running course one semester, and participated in a few of the school runs. I eventually set up a schedule to run two hours to a half hour before the sun fully sets (early nights). You'll get the rhythm of it though, schedules in college are quite different as one semester you might have all night classes (5-8pm), and the next you'll have two classes from 1-4pm every other day, and two more from ...say...9am-2pm on alternate days. I've never been a morning person, but most of my friends said that our campus was perfect at around 6 or 7 am. I remember that I did start doing midday runs on the weekends, but they were usually at the local bike trails rather than at the school as I lived off campus.

In my humble opinion I found it much easier to manage exercise in college, but maybe it was because I was older and had a better idea of what my goals as a runner were. I also noticed I was able to study better if I took a break to run.

On a side note, in the 7+ (grad student now) years since I've been there I never had any problems running barefoot at my college (public university). At the gym shoes are required, outside they are not. You might also meet a running buddy, which is nice if you like to run at night when it starts turning dark.

...and yes, to paraphrase Justin: "experience college". I know I like it a whole lot more than Elementary, Middle, and High School combined.

Size 40 - Grey/Palm KSO's, Grey/Camo KSO's, & Black/Black KSO's (a little on the tight side), Blue/Black Komodosport, Red/Black Komodosport LS.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: