BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 30, 2014, 10:14:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: combat boots?  (Read 1890 times)
valyn85

valyn85 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

At my regular job I have to wear reinforced toe, 1 in. heel, lace up, support shank boots.  So I'm out of luck there.  I'm also in the National Guard.  I have to wear Army approved, tan colored, combat boots.  Does anyone know if there is a brand out there that is some where close to minimalist shoes in a combat boot?  Nike makes a combat boot, the sole is not too thick and its very light weight.  I'm sure they aren't zero drop and the toe box is narrow but they are the closest I've seen so far.
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »

I've heard good things about Tactical Research's Kiowa Boot. I haven't tried them though.

http://www.tacticalbootstore.com/tacticalresearchkiowaboottan-p-3519.html

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
valyn85

valyn85 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »

Thanks, only thing that worries me is "extended arch support corrects over pronation".  These do look nice though.  I imagine there is not much call for minimalist combat boots, so maybe these will be the best choice.  The price is not too bad either.
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »

You might also check out the runners world barefoot forum and if thebarefootrunners.org (barefoot runners society) is up and running, they have a military forum. 

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »

Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 01:14:20 AM »

Most folks looking for as zero-drop as possible have actually zero'd out their shoes.  Some cobblers are willing to do that, by taking down some of the external heel and possibly putting in a flatter footbed.  The Nike SFB is probably your best bet right now, Belleville supposedly has a lighter boot to compete with the SFB, and the Rockys are pretty popular.  There's another boot but I lost the bookmark for the page.

jock80

jock80 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »

Hello from the UK

Bit of a late reply but it might be worth checking out the "Aku NS 564" i've been looking at these for my work (civilian PTI for the UK MOD).

Hope this is of some help.

Jonny
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »

Most folks looking for as zero-drop as possible have actually zero'd out their shoes.  Some cobblers are willing to do that, by taking down some of the external heel and possibly putting in a flatter footbed. 

If you find a boot of "welt" construction, a good cobbler can do the rest.  I had a pair of steel toe/I MET boots recently modified.  I had the shank removed, midsole re-done, toe box stretched and sole replaced with a 5mm Vibram sole.  They are almost tolerable Wink 

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: