BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 23, 2014, 07:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Depressed, had to go back to padded shoes  (Read 1295 times)
Kyrah

Kyrah is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »

So, I'm not a runner but I do enjoy going barefoot and wearing my five fingers and other minimalist shoes.

A few months ago, my foot started to hurt.  Saw my doctor and he told me it wasn't necessary to go back to full blown running shoe so I was careful about how I walked and continued wearing the minimalist.  A week ago, it got really really bad.  I couldn't walk for days and had to buy a pair of running shoes with tons of cushion.  I can walk properly now with minimal if any pain.  I wear them in the house and out and about.

I'm really depressed about this whole thing.  I didn't want to ever go back to "normal shoes" because I liked how free my toes felt.  I just feel like my foot will never get better and I can kiss all my minimalist shoes goodbye. Sad

Bikila's 37, Jaya 37 - not sure whether I'll keep these
Vivobarefoot Brooklyn's 39(old stock), Franklin 37, Neo 37
Kigo Edge women's 8
Stem's 38
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »

dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »

try some lessons in the Alexander Technique. If you like it (and you should) and take a whole lot of them, you might get rid of the problem.
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »

How long did you take to transition to the Minimalist footwear?  Do you have the same pain when you walk around your yard or house barefooted?

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »

So, I'm not a runner but I do enjoy going barefoot and wearing my five fingers and other minimalist shoes.

A few months ago, my foot started to hurt.  Saw my doctor and he told me it wasn't necessary to go back to full blown running shoe so I was careful about how I walked and continued wearing the minimalist.  A week ago, it got really really bad.  I couldn't walk for days and had to buy a pair of running shoes with tons of cushion.  I can walk properly now with minimal if any pain.  I wear them in the house and out and about.

I'm really depressed about this whole thing.  I didn't want to ever go back to "normal shoes" because I liked how free my toes felt.  I just feel like my foot will never get better and I can kiss all my minimalist shoes goodbye. Sad

TOFP/Inflamed tendon?  I had the same thing from TMTS.  I borrowed a moon/walking boot from work (Ortho office) and walked around in it and then a super cushy running shoe for a week+ before transitioning back.  Don't get discouraged, it happens to the best of us! I felt like it would never get better either, but just baby it and wean even slower back into minimalist when you are COMPLETELY healed.

Hang in there.

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »

chemexkev

chemexkev is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:52 AM »

i went through some nasty TOTFP last summer that kept me from going minimalist or barefoot for about 8+ weeks.  I had to transition from big clunky boots to cushy sandals to barefoot again. for about 3 weeks i couldn't walk pain-free at all no matter what i was wearing. Just look at these shoes as a recovery tool. No matter how painful it feels now, it will get better eventually.
Kyrah

Kyrah is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:55:12 AM »

Bearfooted:  I started transitioning in August.  I know I did it far too quickly now, but back then I didn't because I wasn't on this forum back then and the sales person that sold me my first Vibrams didn't tell me about it.  Yes, it's just as painful to walk around the house without shoes on, I pretty much wear my shoes any time I'm not sitting right now.

I'm not sure what TOFP is.  When I went to my doctor he said that I'd hurt my fasci.  He explained it like this:every time you walk on your arch it elongates, I kind of tore something in there I guess so every time I walk it rips all over again.  He told my to roll my foot over a tennis ball, which I've been doing.

Thanks for the support guys, it's just so disheartening when you can't do something you love.  Just two weeks ago I was so excited because my toes were very visibly separating, I have nice toe splay!  I miss my Stems and Jaya LR's already!

So everyone that has had this same issue, you guys have eventually healed and were able to transition back to minimalist?

I can't afford to take Alexander Technique classes but I will scour the web and Youtube to see if there is anything I can find and put in to use on them.

Kigo Edge women's 8
Stem's 38
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:20:59 AM »

TOFP means Top Of Foot Pain

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »

I did a seven month transition to VFF running, and early on I had minor instances of PF.  Not enough to sideline me, but enough to let me know that it was coming.  I know the feeling because I had a bad case of PF when I was running in marshmallow shoes.

Try also picking up things with your toes, like marbles or golf balls.  That helped me gradually build up foot strength.  I can't yet pick up a tennis ball, but I keep trying.

Also, you could be over-striding while walking.  Something to look in to.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »

I used to have plantar fasciitis too, only I had it with regular shoes. In regular shoes only big orthotics (high and rigid arch support) would heal it. Since minimalist shoes and starting to walk with a shorter stride and mid ot fore foot strike, I don't need the orthotics and the PF hasn't come back. Massage your arches, stretch them before you even put a foot out of bed in the morning.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:32:59 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »

It sounds like you have a lot of inflammation in there if you can't walk at all without any pain.  I would hold off on massage and stretching for a while, or at the very least be really gentle with it!  And ice baths are a great thing.  Fill a large bucket or bowl (anything you can fit your foot in without cramping your toes) with ice water, and submerge your foot.  You don't want to do this for more than about 5 minutes.  I do this with my forearms sometimes for wrist issues, and once I left them in for a little longer and actually lost some nerve function temporarily (my hands felt weak for about half an hour).  So, don't overdo it!  Tongue

If you do want to do some massage, I would focus on your calves.  The plantar fascia is connected to the Achilles tendon, which is the tendon for a couple of different calf muscles.  A great thing to do is take a tennis ball, kneel on the floor so the tops of your feet are on the floor, and stick the tennis ball near your knee between your calves and hamstrings.  Hang out there for a little bit, move the tennis ball down a little, hang out there, etc...

I bet this is frustrating but it will get better eventually!  Just try to be patient and give your body what it needs.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:15:31 PM by skye97 » Logged
Kyrah

Kyrah is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 11:48:44 PM »

So, I have been wearing "normal" shoes once again and my foot has begun to heal.  I haven't had major pain in it for almost two weeks now though if I do a lot of walking it does start to ache.  Last week I started introducing my Kigo Edge's back in to my daily routine for anywhere between 15 - 60 minutes a day, depending.  I mostly wear them if it's raining out because my "normal" shoes, while padded, suck at repelling water.

The hugest change however has come from the fact that a week and a half ago, I received my Service Dog.  Part of the regimen is doing a minimum of an hour walk a day with her.  Now, I have never been interested in running before, I've liked the idea of it and thought the idea of being a runner was cool but it was never something I actively pursued or enjoyed.  With the introduction of Didi(Service Dog) in to my life I have started jogging/running and find enjoyment in it.  I can't do more than a minute or two at a time but it's fun and it gets her energy out too.

In any event, lots of positive things going on after feeling like I would never be back to normal again Smiley

Kigo Edge women's 8
Stem's 38
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »

Kyrah,

Best of luck to you and you heal and also as you transition back into minimalist footwear.  It does sound an awful lot like a case of "too much too soon", but once the pain has subsided you can begin to slowly reintroduce your minimalist footwear and build up your foot strength.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: