BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 22, 2014, 11:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion on the new KSO Trek  (Read 55948 times)
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 23, 2011, 07:01:45 PM »

Just took my new KSO Treks out for my first trail run, and absolutely loved it.  It's finally warm enough to run outdoors without heavy layering, so i figured I'd take them out, and go around town on my bike.

There were some parts of the trail that had some snow, and large swamp-like puddles that I stopped trying to avoid after a few minutes. My feet were a little numb after going through a big cold puddle, but it didn't take long for the water to make its way out of the shoes, and once the sun hit me they warmed back up pretty quick.

I've had a pair of KSOs for a couple of months, and they are great for the gym, and on the road.  They are the grey/green ones, so they don't blend in so well with normal everyday wear, so I got the treks for more of a casual look, and for hiking and trail running.

I'm doing a 40k backpacking trip this summer through the Rockies here in Alberta and I'm interested to see if I can get my feet to the point where I can do the whole thing in my treks as opposed to hiking boots. I'll bring the boots just in case.

I don't have any issues with fitting, straps or anything with these. I find the 'roo leather keeps my feet relatively warm when its cool, and breathe really well when it's warm. I really enjoy these!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
« Reply #375 on: April 23, 2011, 07:01:45 PM »

noelbodwell

noelbodwell is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2011, 07:33:03 AM »

Don't your feet feel light and playful running the trails in your Treks!! I know New Hampshire's White Mtns aren't the same as the Rockies, but I had no trouble hiking the Whites last summer in my Treks. Lots of rocks, roots, boulders and I thought they performed great. I slowly introduced them, 2-5miles per hike til I felt my feet and legs were conditioned enough. I had been trail running in them for two months prior to starting to hike in them. The longest I did was a little over 10 miles. Good luck on your backpacking trip.

NoŽl
Zephyr

Zephyr is starting to look familiar.Zephyr is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »

It's really not that big a deal, but I know how you feel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_leather

It could be worse, but I wouldn't call it "not a big deal." From your link:
"A 2009 report commissioned by Animal Liberation NSW concluded that as many as 40 percent of kangaroos hunted are shot in the neck or body, rather than the brain (as dictated by Australiaís National Code of Practice), resulting in prolonged, painful deaths [14]. In addition, the babies of mother kangaroos (called joeys) who are killed face cruel deaths. Former full-time professional kangaroo shooter David Nicholls says that joeys 'also die in a state of terror by psychological deprivation, predation or starvation'"

I'm personally insensitive to any individual kangaroo's feelings. You know, in the real world living organisms have evolved to maximize their own survival and perpetuation of their kinship. You seem unable to think out of the box to realize that your empathy with the fate and suffering of other creatures is simply a byproduct of your inherited or learned social skills. Empathy works well in human relations but may be totally useless or even counterproductive when generalized to every living creature. The argument of the suffering capacity is also very weak. Why should suffering prevail over other mental processes? Suffering is simply an efficient mechanism to increase the chances of survival and perpetuation. The pain sensation has been developed to prevent actions or avoid situations that can be harmful to your life or health, that simple.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:25:24 PM by Zephyr » Logged
morgan_4785

morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.

live free or die hard

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 25, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »

officially put 1000 miles hiking on my treks. and man do they look it!

jesus Saves
Feet are the greatest piece of technology ever. guess who made them? God
« Reply #378 on: April 25, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »

sbslider

sbslider is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 25, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

officially put 1000 miles hiking on my treks. and man do they look it!
So after 1k miles what is the first thing that looks like it will wear out?  Pics? 
morgan_4785

morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.morgan_4785 is starting to look familiar.

live free or die hard

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 26, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »

welp, ive always had issues with pix but ill try yet again. they look every bit of 1k  miles too. I wore them on a 135mi trek at philmont  (scout ranch in NM) so theyre branded. The leather has lost all soft quality and is very stiff until after some heavy use. Because of the extenuous trek in the rockies, the soles are getting awful close to flat. On the right big toe the sole has torn away from the upper and is beyond repair. In reality, its past time for them to be retired. But ill keep on hikin in em and see how long it really takes for my treks to die. im rediculously pleased with how well and long theyve lasted with what theyve been through.  Smiley

jesus Saves
Feet are the greatest piece of technology ever. guess who made them? God
sbslider

sbslider is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 26, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »

Good stuff.  I have a pair of boot branded at Philmont, did a trek there back in 2004 I think.  I may be going again next year, so the treks will see the Tooth of Time, or maybe Mount Phillips.  Did you see anyone else in Treks there. 
I wore them on a 135mi trek at philmont 
Wait, was that one trek?  must have been at least two, unless they offer treks much longer now.  How many days was that? 
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]
  Print  

Jump to: