BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 22, 2014, 04:46:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Fat in Five Finger Shoes  (Read 74415 times)
Vlad

Vlad is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2012, 02:00:11 AM »

I'm big, been everywhere from 250lbs to 350lbs in the last few years. Just moved into a new place which I am counting on helping a lot (what I lack in willpower I make up for in being cheap, and not buying food... was previously living at home). I got into minimalist shoes because they just made sense, regardless of what I was doing in them. I did a fair share of running when I was lighter, and some pretty good hiking (including Mt. Si in the snow in my KSO's lol).

I got even more into it as I felt better and better, despite my weight. After replacing my work shoes with some VivoBarefoot Dharmas my back pain is almost entirely gone. And that's why I stick with it. I'd love to lose weight, but my shoes are not part of that.

-JVRR
меня зовут Владимир или Джеймс.
Я знаю только немного русский язык (я американец, но мой пра дедушка русски).
Xbox LIVE! GT: "Vlad is Rad"
PS3 PSN: "Vlad_Is_Rad"
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2012, 02:00:11 AM »

mitro

mitro is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »

I'm 6'4" and 290 lbs. I took up walking late last summer (when I was 315 lbs.) and slowly transitioned to running over the winter. A couple months ago I saw the KSOs at a price that I could live with spending to find out if I'd like them. I've always liked the feel of a minimalist shoe (or what i considered minimal at that time) but figured at my size I needed giant marshmallows to keep my knees from exploding. I'm glad I took the plunge and now have three pairs (KSO, KSO trek, and Bikila LS) as well as a pair of NB Minimus Trail Zeroes  on the way. I run in the KSOs primarily and wear the other two for casual wear as much as I possibly can.

I've got my first 5k in two weeks and you can bet VFFs will be on my feet.  Smiley
DrBig74

DrBig74 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2012, 02:23:44 AM »

I'm big, been everywhere from 250lbs to 350lbs in the last few years. Just moved into a new place which I am counting on helping a lot (what I lack in willpower I make up for in being cheap, and not buying food... was previously living at home). I got into minimalist shoes because they just made sense, regardless of what I was doing in them. I did a fair share of running when I was lighter, and some pretty good hiking (including Mt. Si in the snow in my KSO's lol).

I got even more into it as I felt better and better, despite my weight. After replacing my work shoes with some VivoBarefoot Dharmas my back pain is almost entirely gone. And that's why I stick with it. I'd love to lose weight, but my shoes are not part of that.

Many kudos to you!  You are an inspiration!

Be well!

DrBig74
MomoAK

MomoAK is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »

Hello,
I came across the post and figured its about the perfect place for me to put in my 2 cents.
When I bought my first pair of VFFs I was 369 lbs, the heaviest I have ever been. I got that big due to a number of factors but mostly due to two big injuries that
kept me from being the active outdoorsy person I was formerly. The first was when I tore my kneecap off when I worked for an airline as a ramp agent.
That lead to two surgeries to put it back in the right place and keep it there. I now have permanent nerve damage in that knee.
The second was while working for a para-transit services provider, where I herniated both disks on either side of my L3 vertebra with a 50% herniation on each.
when I messed up my knee I was layed up for almost 3 years and the back injury added another 2 years on top of that. But even once I was up again I couldn't do most of the things I did formerly.
Then I heard about Fivefingers and minimalist shoes.
It took me a very long time debating with myself and doing research into minimalist shoes before I jumped in. But it has been one of the best decisions I have made.
Unlike most people i didn't experience the harsh break in/ acclimation period that so many have warned of. After the first day I couldn't wear any other shoes with out pain.
The VFFs have all but eliminated my knee pain even with the nerve damage and have corrected my stride to the extent that my wife says I walk like I did in highschool.
This stride correction has realigned my spine and taken almost all of the pressure off of my lower back.  All of this has led me to be able to be far more active in the past year than i had been in the past 8.
The result so far is that I am now down to 317 lbs and counting. I have 2 jars in my bathroom. One has a marble for every pound that I was carrying around for all those years.
The second holds the marbles that I have taken from the first for every pound I have lost. Written on the bottom of the first jar is the weight I was when I started keeping track.
Written on the bottom of the second is the amount of weight I will lose. Its a great motivator to hear the plink as another marble/pound is lost.

In regards to the OPs question about sole wear, I have had 3 pairs of VFFs. of those three, Only my KSOs have worn through the sole but that is only after 2 years of very hard use. and even then it is only now a little hole.
Anyway thank you for your time. and I cant wait for the fall VFFs to hit!
Thanks
Jason

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »

Congratulations MomoAK, glad to see you have found VFFs to be your salvation, they are for many of us. Hoping for the water resistant ones as well...

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple,EVO WP
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »

@ Jason AKA MomoAK

52 pounds is great.  Glad to hear you are having weight loss success.  The marbles in the jars is a cool idea.  Back in 2001 I lost 97 pounds in approximately 7 months.  I seemed to have found it back since then, but it is a marriage, three kids and a transfer into a desk job later.  I know these are all excuses, but they're all I've got.   Wink  I need to become more active and am actually planning on embarking on another weight loss venture myself.  Once I begin, I am going to take before and after pictures this time, something I never did before, and I am going to keep pushing to break the 100 pound loss milestone this time.  My ultimate goal is to not revert to the old poor eating habits that got me that heavy to begin with. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
PapaChub

PapaChub is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »

Hey everyone. I am new to the board, but this thread is what made me decide to pull the trigger and get my first pair of VVibram Five Fingers. I am a bigger guy too and I was worried that this style of shoe would not work well on my wide/fat foot. But after reading all of the stories on this particular thread, I had confidence to come off of my wallet and buy some. I just wanted to say thanks to you all. I am happy that I made this decision. I am on a weight loss journey as well. When I was at my biggest, I weighed 360 pounds. I lost 82 pounds and was down to about 278. Due to a number of reasons I gained back about half of it and I was back up to about 326 a little over a month ago. I now have support and I am motivated to finish what I started. In the past 5 weeks I have lost about 13 pounds so I am back down to 313. I have set weekly goals and it is going well. I haven't started wearing my VFF's to the gym yet because I just got them last weekend and I am trying to give the muscles and tendons in my feet and legs time to adjust first. However, I plan to start training for my first 5K soon and I will be wearing my VFF's for sure. I actually bought two pair. I got the KMD LS and the Bikila LS. I don't know if it is just me or not, but the Bikila LS seems to me a much better fit on my foot. I'm not sure if it is made a little wider or if the KMD LS just need broke in more, but when I where the KMD LS I can tell that I have something on my foot, but with the Bikila LS I almost forget that I even have it on.
DrBig74

DrBig74 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »

Congratulations!  I am always excited to see someone changing their lifestyle for health, and changing their minds to new and unique concepts that work.
Please, take it slow with your legs and feet.  Foot injuries are painful, and tend to hang around like an odd acquaintance!  Slow and steady!
Kudos!

Hey everyone. I am new to the board, but this thread is what made me decide to pull the trigger and get my first pair of VVibram Five Fingers. I am a bigger guy too and I was worried that this style of shoe would not work well on my wide/fat foot. But after reading all of the stories on this particular thread, I had confidence to come off of my wallet and buy some. I just wanted to say thanks to you all. I am happy that I made this decision. I am on a weight loss journey as well. When I was at my biggest, I weighed 360 pounds. I lost 82 pounds and was down to about 278. Due to a number of reasons I gained back about half of it and I was back up to about 326 a little over a month ago. I now have support and I am motivated to finish what I started. In the past 5 weeks I have lost about 13 pounds so I am back down to 313. I have set weekly goals and it is going well. I haven't started wearing my VFF's to the gym yet because I just got them last weekend and I am trying to give the muscles and tendons in my feet and legs time to adjust first. However, I plan to start training for my first 5K soon and I will be wearing my VFF's for sure. I actually bought two pair. I got the KMD LS and the Bikila LS. I don't know if it is just me or not, but the Bikila LS seems to me a much better fit on my foot. I'm not sure if it is made a little wider or if the KMD LS just need broke in more, but when I where the KMD LS I can tell that I have something on my foot, but with the Bikila LS I almost forget that I even have it on.

Be well!

DrBig74
PapaChub

PapaChub is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »

Congratulations!  I am always excited to see someone changing their lifestyle for health, and changing their minds to new and unique concepts that work.
Please, take it slow with your legs and feet.  Foot injuries are painful, and tend to hang around like an odd acquaintance!  Slow and steady!
Kudos!

Thanks for the advice. I have been taking it slow so far. I have wore my VFFs to the gym a couple times now and no pain so far. I am being very careful not to over do it.
AlexHelton

AlexHelton is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2013, 06:15:05 AM »

i saw such type of shoes on ebay and that were from adidas. they look completely different to me

violaceousmumsy

violaceousmumsy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »

Because they are a different brand.

Komodo sport, classics, and alitza all take their turns chasing after my kids with me.
AlexHelton

AlexHelton is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2013, 12:01:01 AM »

I RECENTLY PURCHASED 5 FINGER SHOES FROM ADIDAS AND WOULD SAY THAT THEY LOOK ANNOYING TO ME ITS USELESS TO SPEND MONEY ON THEM. BETTER TO GO FOR SIMPLE SHOES

marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »

good stuff - good luck with your training - 5k runs are a blast
btw - get yourself a pair of seeyas - then you will get a real minimalist feel - bikila is a good shoe though

Bull-Hansen

Bull-Hansen is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2013, 03:31:53 AM »

I'm 230 lbs and since I started wearing Fivefingers, my lower back and iliosacral injuries have gotten better. I find that when the body is forced out of it's natural position, like when you use shoes with heels, the weight of the upper body is a much greater strain on especially the lower back and hips.
capitlJ

capitlJ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

I'm a big guy too, 6'4 and over 350 and I love my VFF KMD Sport LS's and my Vivobarefoot Ra's.  Been wearing them for about two years and I hate having to wear non-minimalist shoes.  I don't run, I should,  but I love to wear my VFF's when I'm fishing, taking the dogs for a walk, or riding my bike.  They're my everyday shoes and my Vivo's are my work shoes, office casual.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: