BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 25, 2014, 09:22:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Fat in Five Finger Shoes  (Read 75476 times)
scarycrow

scarycrow is a new face.

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »

Ok, so I am a big guy, about 314 lbs, and I am trying to exercise.  Currently I have been wearing MBTs for everything, sneakers for exercise, sandals for every day wear, and dress shoes.  I noticed that I am on the edge of thier weight standards and have been wearing down the souls quickly.  

I am very intrigued by Five Fingers shoes.  The KSO's look like they would do well for everyday wear, and the light exersise I am and will continue to do.  They will protect my feet, but not leave me standing 3 inches above the ground ready to twist my ankle.

I was wondering if there are any other big guys wearing Five Fingers, and what thier opinions are about the shoes.

Thanks
David
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:26:53 PM by Rana » Logged
« on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »

curtisnull

curtisnull is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:19:24 PM »

I'm 290. Been wearing them for 3.5 years. Don't really want to wear anything else.
BluNoseReindeer

BluNoseReindeer is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »

I was about 310 before I got vibrams (6ft).  I've been walking and lightly joggingin them for about 3 months now and I've gotten myself down to around 295.  They are great shoes, just make sure you take it very easy with the shoes.  Even when I first started walking my heels would be sore because I wasn't used to walking in them yet.  Now I wearthem everywhere except for work.  Good luck with your vff adventure.

VFF's since May of 2010. Losing weight and loving the freedom the shoes bring.
BigR

BigR is starting to look familiar.BigR is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »

got vibrams when i weighed 330 im now 290 and steadly losing weight from vigorous activities im on of my few very large friends who can run a 10K without stopping or breaking stride.

"The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot."
I want to smother the guy who said we need arch support...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »

theyurtingyeti

theyurtingyeti is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »

I'm about 250# and have been wearing VFFs for a few months now. I love them and loath the idea of wearing 'normal' shoes. I wore orthodics for 15 years and was able to ditch them once I started paying more attention to the biomechanics of my feet Smiley

I have a pair of classics and KSOs.
Road Dog

Road Dog is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »

I am 6ft and 310 when I go my first pair of VFFs, classics, they fit fine.  I am 240 and they still fit fine Smiley  I would suggest trying to find a local retailer if you can just to be sure but would not expect you to have a problem even if you order them online.

good luck
Shadowauthor

Shadowauthor is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »

I'm 260 (and dropping!) and have had my KSOs for almost two months now. Aside form some weird looks, they've been awesome for me.
Barefootin Family

Barefootin Family is starting to look familiar.Barefootin Family is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:05:36 PM »

225 lbs. here, I'm getting a pair, and I'm going to start working out. I'm with you guys.

Be free.
scarycrow

scarycrow is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 07:44:30 PM »

So, I bought a pair of KSO's.  They are comfortable, a little snug on the sides, and I can understand how they can take a bit to get used to.  But they were very comfortable to wear.  Well, here is to my new pair of KSOs!!!
stewieguy

stewieguy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 11:22:47 PM »

I started out at 375 pounds a little over two years ago, and with all the working out, walking and running I have been doing I have since went down to 315 pounds and feel like I have so much energy but I also know I have such a long way to go to get to 195.
scarycrow

scarycrow is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:50:44 AM »

We should start our own Fat Guy with Five Fingers category, and work together to lose weight.  My goal is 200lbs, going to start the Greens First Diet on 9/20, but can start my walking part once i am done breaking in my Five Fingers. 

Anyone want to join me?

Dave
zarzu

zarzu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »

if you feel like it you can also think about joining dailymile.com (no association) and connect with other vff runners there (there is one or two posts with profiles of people here around). the constant stream of workouts from other people can help keep you active and the community is generally very motivating with comments. it's not just about weight loss though, mostly staying/getting fit.

"first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
Barefootin Family

Barefootin Family is starting to look familiar.Barefootin Family is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »

I'll join the group, I always have a problem with motivation.

Be free.
krazygoat

krazygoat is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 09:25:17 PM »

I started at 240 with a pair of classics, I am now down to 210 and now wearing bikilas. I workout is a run every other day. I started at 1 miles and am now up to 5 miles around a 10min/mile pace. In addition to running I switched to a raw foods diet. I eat an apple and a banana for breakfast, I eat a normal lunch (anything I want but keeping portions reasonable), and then a raw fruits and veggies dinner. When I still had a gym membership during my off days from running I would do circuit training in the gym. Honestly though I lose just as much just running and I enjoy it a lot more. My goal is 185 so I still have a ways to go but even losing 30lbs made me feel much better.

Fivefingers are great for anyone because there is no instability, you provide the stability. I do 1/3 my running barefoot so I suggest that too. In fact start there before VFFs as you will get the form right quicker.

Good luck to everyone and stay motivated.
hansgruber

hansgruber is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:20:43 PM »

Ha!  I joined this board planning to start the same topic!!!! Grin

I'm 35 yo male, about 208 lbs and I run about 6-8 miles 5 times/wk.  My knees are shot.  My hips hurt.  My legs ache about 70% of the time. 

Lately I've been spinning instead of running, but that's about to drive me insane.  I'm seriously considering VFFs.

Which pair of VFFs are best for running on pavement/road?

Thanks!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: