BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 01, 2014, 05:43:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fila's attempt at Speeds  (Read 1511 times)
autostick73

autostick73 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »

i tried these on today.  Not bad but not VFF's.

http://www.finishline.com/store/product/fila-skele-toes-voltage-mens-running-shoes/_/A-72114?productId=prod685370
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »

pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »

Those are...interesting to say the least. The high-top look makes the "oddness" of 4 toes stick out much more than the originals. To me, we have FIVE toes, not four!

In general, having the 4-toes seems almost detrimental to helping toe-splay, especially since the pinky toe is the least independent toe and should be getting as much help as possible, not keeping it squished next to the 4th, which is a problem area for almost anyone who has worn "traditional" shoes most of their life.

Also, don't the Simpsons have 4 fingers and toes? ;-)

vffs: classic, performa jane, sprint, jaya, kso, kso treksport
non-vffs: merrell pace glove, nb minimus trail, saucony hattori, vb neos, zemgear original ninja low, stem survival origins, vb brooklyn, otz madlib canvas
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »

They aren't bad.  I tried on the other skeletoes but could not get a good fit.  At least they are opening up the market. 

Pooch, there is alot of sentiment from people that say they can't spread their toes enough to wear VFF's (not realizing that they gain mobility once they start wearing them), this would help people who think its uncomfortable to have their small toe splayed and it prevents broken toes.

And MOST cartoon characters (at least when we were growing up) had 4 fingers.  And to prevent the "that guy" response, the definition of a finger is "one of the five digits of the hand" 

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »

lol yeah those do look fairly cartoonish, having only 4 toe pockets.  And the way they designed those makes it look MUCH more apparent that there are only 4, as compared to the original Skeletoes which didn't really appear to have only 4 pockets at first glance.

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »

Little King

Little King is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »

In general, having the 4-toes seems almost detrimental to helping toe-splay, especially since the pinky toe is the least independent toe

Maybe I'm weird but my pinky toes on both of my feet have more horizontal flexibility than any other toes
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »

Saw them at Modell's in pink. Flexed the big toe and other ones with my hand. Was not pleased.

Why have toed shoes that have such stiff toes?

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:33:50 PM »

Saw them at Modell's in pink. Flexed the big toe and other ones with my hand. Was not pleased.

Why have toed shoes that have such stiff toes?

For the people who aren't into the minimalist movement yet.  Think of them as training wheels. 

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »

If they wanted to make "training wheels" legitimately, they'd make a toed version of Merrell's barefoot access (zero drop but with added insole thickness).

If the toes have no flex, then it seems pretty much like Fila is trying to cash in on toed shoes' novelty.

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
JustinB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »

people aren't looking for flex in the beginning, you can't think like us, you have to think like people who don't want minimal.

These are just like a regular sneaker but with toes.  It's a start.  Yes it's Fila jumping into the industry, but that is also a good thing.  Selection and competition is good for us... the consumer.  I tried some skeletoes and couldn't get a good fit, but I was comparing to VFF's I am sure if you are coming from clogs, they seem minimal.

sgp2012

sgp2012 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »

they look hardly minimal at all. the sole reminds me of the reebok realflex shoes. (which i have for casual wear)
I think it's pretty ironic to have toe shoes that aren't very minimalist. but they look nice!
Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 01:18:55 AM »

Personally, I think they're pointless.  The idea of separate toe pockets without true flexibility completely negates having the toes separate in the first place.  Why bother?  I look at these shoes and other attempts at toe shoes, and I just sit there and wonder what purpose they actually serve.  Because if my toes are still separated but I can't move them like I can barefoot or in a super minimal VFF (ie Sprint, or even a racing flat with generous toe box)...seriously I just think it's a waste of material and a lame attempt at getting people to buy the shoe for "the look."

And the look, by the way, is equally ridiculous.  I have bought and maintained my toe shoes only because they actually offer me a lot of movement and flexibility in my toes and feet.  I don't find the toe shoe look particularly appealing, so seeing so many companies throwing themselves on the bandwagon is equally silly and pathetic to me.  But hey, they have to make money, right?

I am equally unimpressed by the flexibility of many of the VFF models, too.  It's all personal preference, sure.  But I got rid of my Bikilas and dislike the newer models I've tried because all of them lack the amount of flexibility of the simpler, older models.  I just don't see the point of separated toes if the toes don't actually flex or move well.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:20:52 AM by Go_Blue » Logged

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 02:26:57 AM »

I just don't see the point of separated toes if the toes don't actually flex or move well.

The models with leather toe pockets like the Trek LS and the Bormio work almost like correct toes.  http://nwfootankle.com/correct-toes  they do a better job then any of the other models at keeping your toes separated at the appropriate distance.  More then any other models the Trek LS and the Bormio have helped my toes spread apart and revert back to a natural position.  Also I hurt my 4th toe yesterday and it turned black and blue.  So far the Bormio is the only one I can get my toe in to with out much pain. 

Not everyone wants the most absolute minimalist shoe all the time.  I have several friends who prefer the feeling of the sole of the Fila Skeletoes vs FiveFingers.   It is all a matter of preference.   Regardless of if your toes can't flex a ton because of the sole thickness you don't feel like your foot is either cramped in a tight shoe or loose in a cavernous open toe box.  Just like the feeling of the toes being separated but have no desire to feel groove between two pieces of pavement when they walk.  Also a few people prefer the skeletoes because they have issues with either their 4th or 5th toe and having them combined helps make them feel comfortable. 

More choices is better for everyone.  It forces Vibram to stay on their toes and keep offering new and better stuff. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Lyonel

Lyonel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »

This is the first Skele-toe that I find appealing although they look like a Nike Free with Adidas stripes and toes.
When will this one be up for review?

Bikila - Bikila LS (2x) - Bormio - Classic (2x) - Komodosport - Komodosport LS - KSO Trek (retired) - KSO Treksport - Trek LS (2x) - Seeya - Sorrento - Speed - Spyridon LS - KSO Remix - ElX

Adipure Lace Trainer-Original Luna ATS laces-LEMS Boulder Boot
PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »

heh I must be backwards then.  I went barefoot for months before getting VFF's.  Grin

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

This is the first Skele-toe that I find appealing although they look like a Nike Free with Adidas stripes and toes.
When will this one be up for review?

I think it might be.  I asked Justin but I can't remember. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: