BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 01, 2014, 04:19:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fivefingers lontra - finally, a waterproof VFF  (Read 5850 times)
pooch

pooch is a new face.

barefoot stander

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »

Looks like Zem is working on something solid as well...

I am excited about this one (I just finished reading the PDF that was linked in the first post). I want to love my ZEMs sooo badly, but because the sole doesn't curve up the heel, I find walking on the back seam very bothersome. I haven't tried the 360 series, and they don't show a clear profile shot, so I am hesitant to order a pair for that price only to find me walking on seams again.

I await this new ZEMGear model eagerly!

vffs: classic, performa jane, sprint, jaya, kso, kso treksport
non-vffs: merrell pace glove, nb minimus trail, saucony hattori, vb neos, zemgear original ninja low, stem survival origins, vb brooklyn, otz madlib canvas
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »

AMD64Blondie

AMD64Blondie is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »

Curse it.. another new FiveFingers variant that I'll probably have to buy sometime.

The lontra looks quite tempting.If it's a laced model,like my Komodosport LS.. Very interested.
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »

Looks like Zem is working on something solid as well...

I am excited about this one (I just finished reading the PDF that was linked in the first post). I want to love my ZEMs sooo badly, but because the sole doesn't curve up the heel, I find walking on the back seam very bothersome. I haven't tried the 360 series, and they don't show a clear profile shot, so I am hesitant to order a pair for that price only to find me walking on seams again.

I await this new ZEMGear model eagerly!

I pointed it out just for you pooch.  I know you like them with the exception that they shift around.  I am yet to buy a pair but I love the concept.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Lyonel

Lyonel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 08:06:35 AM »

Found some promo pics

Bikila - Bikila LS (2x) - Bormio - Classic (2x) - Komodosport - Komodosport LS - KSO Trek (retired) - KSO Treksport - Trek LS (2x) - Seeya - Sorrento - Speed - Spyridon LS - KSO Remix - ElX

Adipure Lace Trainer-Original Luna ATS laces-LEMS Boulder Boot
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 08:06:35 AM »

Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 10:10:48 AM »

The Lontra with the Spyridon sole would be the shizzle.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
toh-shu

toh-shu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »

I think so! Just got them and that spyridon sole is amazin,

My VFFs: Black/Grey TrekSports (Torn and fixed sort of.  Sad), Grey/palm KSOs, White/Grey/Red Bikilas, Brown/Black Spyridon LS, White/Black Speeds

NB MT10
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »

Agreed. The Spyridon sole is 1000x better than the trek sole in my opinion.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »

I tried on half of a pre-production pair of the Lontras at the Vibram booth today (Naked Run 5k in DC). I'm a W39 in the KSO and W38 in everything else. The Lontra shoe (only one foot) I tried on seemed to be about right - 38 or 39, but there was no size stamped on it (the Vibram rep couldn't find it either). The sample shoe and the Komodosports I was wearing at the time were pretty much the same length.

Impressions: The fit isn't as comfortable as any of my other pairs (I have the KSOs, Treks, Treksports, Komodosports, Flows, and I had a pair of the Bikilas).

Part of it was because the toes seemed too long. This is hard to explain, but the webbing between the toes on the shoes really jammed up against the skin between my toes. There was still a bit of space at the ends of the toes. My heel, on the other hand, felt sort of loose, as if it would float around in the shoe if I broke into a run. I didn't run in them, just stood and walked a bit, but I got the impression that the heel was unusually loose-fitting compared to all my other VFFs. This felt strange because there's a closely fitting cuff at the top that keeps water out. It's just the heel itself that felt loose.

I'm not sure if the insole is what the actual Lontras will have or if it was a cheap preproduction thing, but the whole thing basically seemed to be a thin piece of black felt-like cloth, bottom and up. The Trek sole felt quite stiff but so did the soles on my Treks until I broke them in.

The top of the foot is an odd crinkly-feeling cloth that reminded me more of paper than of cloth, but since it's supposed to be waterproof I guess it's sturdier than it feels. The cuff feels more like Neoprene (soft and stretchy). 

The women's Lontra I tried on was spectacularly ugly. I've seen pictures of it prior to today and they looked OK, but when you actually see them, they look like someone went to a bar, downed all their most colorful drinks (including something with pink in it), and threw up all over the shoe. I told the Vibram rep that this one was really ugly and his response was that "well, they all are."

I'm looking forward to trying on an actual pair, not a preproduction one. Hopefully the fit will be more similar to all the other VFFs I have because the toes and heel on this one were not comfortable. I won't be buying it if the production pairs are exactly like what I tried on today.
Jammy

Jammy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 03:53:14 AM »

Mmm, that doesn't sound like what I expected/ hoped for  Embarrassed

Does anyone have an idea about the release date?

Once you go barefoot you'll never go back! :-)

VFF Spyridon LS - VFF KomodoSport - VFF Bikila LS - VFF Sprints khaki/putty/clay are on their way :-) - Inov-8 Bare Grip 200 - VivoBarefoot Neo Trail
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »

I think I'll wait for the second generation of water resistant vffs...

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 02:17:49 PM »

Jammy, the Vibram rep told me "maybe September."
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »

I don't know guys. I've ran the last 3 winters in my Flows and don't have any real complaints. You do have to stay moving to keep them warm, but even when wet my feet have never been freezing cold. I'll still try the Lontra to see what it has to offer. Either way, I'm getting a new pair of winter time VFFs.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »

I asked about the possibility of Trek LS/Bormio uppers with the Spyridon sole last year and they said the reason for the Trek sole is because it has less ground contact so it has less heat transfer. In other words, it is more insulating at the cost of groundfeel.

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
AMD64Blondie

AMD64Blondie is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »

My precious..... Speed XCs... come to me..

(Where are they!!! Bah humbug.)
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 08:30:27 AM »

I want the Lontras because I'm planning a trip to Peru this winter. Part of my time there will be spent in chilly and wet conditions. With all-day walks on the agenda, I'd prefer my feet to stay dry and warm. Going for a quick run in my Flows and getting my feet wet is fine - my feet will dry out when I get back. But all-day things are nearly guaranteed to make my feet freeze and give me blisters simultaneously.

I'm really hoping the preproduction pair I put on was actually missing its insole and was made just to show what it generally will be like. I want the final product to be fab.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: