BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 22, 2014, 11:25:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: Bystander Comments on Your VFFs and Barefooting  (Read 126585 times)
Lyonel

Lyonel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 07, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

"Hey, can I take a picture of your shoes?"

Bikila - Bikila LS (2x) - Bormio - Classic (2x) - Komodosport - Komodosport LS - KSO Trek (retired) - KSO Treksport - Trek LS (2x) - Seeya - Sorrento - Speed - Spyridon LS - KSO Remix - ElX

Adipure Lace Trainer-Original Luna ATS laces-LEMS Boulder Boot
« Reply #870 on: July 07, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

armadillo76

armadillo76 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 07, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »

Same bar & grill (I've been going to for near 20 years) I got two different reactions in two days. First was "Yours have laces! I want a pair like that!" Turns out she'd gotten a pair at EMS (they sounded like the classics with the strap? I forget what those are called). I gave her a VFF card with this website on it for more information and places to get them.
Second encounter was tonight meeting my Dad for dinner. I wish I had taken a picture of the disgusted look on another servers face as she saw my Trek LS(s)! Everyone else was like "He's been wearing them for months." Every time she came by she gave me this look and asked why i would  wear those things and how I could "get a rock through them." I'm not sure how that would easily happen. I fall off a mountain and land sole first on a sharp rock? She was wearing these pink rubber flats. Hey, whatever works for other people is fine and while I might make fun of something (I do that, there might be sarcasm too) I'm fine with that. Even had a manager stand up for me saying they are like walking barefoot which is better but I don't think she heard. I'm going to have to get a picture of the look on her face. It was priceless.
People are funny. AndyB, NH.
PS I think now I will make a point of freaking her out since it's unlikely I'll be wearing anything but VFF until my bike gets running and I switch to boots (need protection in case I go down, don't need my toes rubbed off!).

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
kayb

kayb is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 09, 2012, 01:13:05 AM »

I've been getting the whole "Are they comfortable? etc..." at planet fitness alot but recently I talked a few people into getting them themselves.
A coworker looked at my water shoes and asked why I wore them.  I was like well I can't wear my grey vibrams so these work pretty good too.  She said hmm I've wondered if they'd let us wear black vibrams.  Haha I never even knew she was interested in them.
Then apparently my sil got into a conversation with her mom about them since she may get some.  Her mom was like "why would you wear something like that they look disgusting".  She says "no they look like feet".  Her mom went back and forth about how they are not normal haha.  We are like uh yeah they are more normal than those blocky foam shoes you wear
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 09, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »

Got stopped four times while hiking my favorite mountain yesterday with mostly: How do you like those shoes? Took a little time each time to explain some. Lots of saucer eyes when I said I liked them so much I had 17 pairs...  Roll Eyes

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple,EVO WP
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
« Reply #873 on: July 09, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »

Lyonel

Lyonel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 21, 2012, 07:40:26 AM »

While running barefoot: "That looks very tropical."

Bikila - Bikila LS (2x) - Bormio - Classic (2x) - Komodosport - Komodosport LS - KSO Trek (retired) - KSO Treksport - Trek LS (2x) - Seeya - Sorrento - Speed - Spyridon LS - KSO Remix - ElX

Adipure Lace Trainer-Original Luna ATS laces-LEMS Boulder Boot
Soloboy1972

Soloboy1972 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 24, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »

I bought a pair of Speeds on Sunday from REI.  A friend was in town so I was showing him around Dallas.  We stopped at the W hotel pool bar for a drink.  I was wearing the Speeds.  Then something crazy happened.  My Speeds sparked a conversation with "Drizzy" Drake.  He's the number one Billboard rap artist of 2012 and is the guy who sings that song which goes "errday errday".  He was in the elevator with us as we left the bar, and when we got outside he asked me where he could get my shoes!  I told him REI, and then he asked me what I could do in the them.  I stood on my toes and said "EVERYTHING".  He responded "like Spiderman!"  This guy is worth $16 million.  And he liked my Speeds!  Wow.

Spyridon LS - brown / black / gray    Speeds - black / white      Morton's Toe and reconstructed (now failed) ACL
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:53 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the conversation goes like this.

"Are they comfortable."

"Oh, yes. I'm wearing socks with them as well."

"Yeah?"

"And of course the socks have toes too."

"[boggle]"

In other words they're more weirded out by the socks than the shoes, and it didn't occur to them that I'd need toed socks if I was wearing toed shoes. I've been wearing toed socks since 2010, but nobody ever saw them inside my "normal" shoes.

In other news, someone said of my Speeds last week, "I've seen those before. Some of the poseurs down the gym wear them."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:46:42 PM by nowster » Logged

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 24, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the conversation goes like this.

"Are they comfortable."

"Oh, yes. I'm wearing socks with them as well."

"Yeah?"

"And of course the socks have toes too."

"[boggle]"

In other words they're more weirded out by the socks than the shoes, and it didn't occur to them that I'd need toed socks if I was wearing toed shoes. I've been wearing toed socks since 2010, but nobody ever saw them inside my "normal" shoes.

In other news, someone said of my Speeds last week, "I've seen those before. Some of the poseurs down the gym wear them."

It has happened to me many times, some people even after six months or so, they stare and tell me: then your socks have toes too.

If you really want to have fun, slip your foot out and wiggle your toe "socks" Grin

If you think they are disturbed by the shoes, you'll take it to a whole new level.... Wink

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 24, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »

I forgot to mention this earlier.

A week ago Saturday, I was out for my long run, wearing my Spyridon LS.  I was running along a paved path, enroute to some off road/trail areas.  A runner began to pass me and slowed down to talk to me. He asked about my shoes and what I thought of them, how long I'd been using them, etc. I explained the transition and change in form and how I had gotten stronger and had healed some injuries.  He asked a lot of good questions.  Come to find out, he's a physical therapist and wanted to know all about them. He said he probably woudn't use them, only because he had a significant leg length discrepancy.  Still, it was nice to come across someone who was genuinely interested and very open-minded about them.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
chelsbells26

chelsbells26 is a new face.

Vibram-lover, Vegetarian :) Runner!

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 26, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »

I feel like I am constantly trying to explain these shoes to people!! I love mine and everytime I go to the gym in them, or run the boardwalk where a lot of people are, I get questioned or silly looks. I just shrug it off or giggle to myself because I see all these "serious" runners in these big ole shoddy shoes and I just wanna be like, "Yo DUDE! Get a pair of these and feel the LOVE of minimalism!" I am totally obsessed with these things and when someone gets me going about them I just can't stop talking them up!
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 27, 2012, 06:01:02 AM »

Last saturday I did a 5k in the achilles and got a few offers of being bought shoes for my birthday. :-)
toesstoutdownyesfingers

toesstoutdownyesfingers is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 03, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »

What is on your feet?

Those are awesome! 

Are those comfortable?  I can't see myself in toes.

Let me see the bottom of those!

Cheesy

M43 Komodosport LS Castle Rock/Navy/Grey
M43 Bikila Royal Blue/Black/Grey
M43 TrekSport Black/Charcoal
M43 Classics Black
M44.5 Merrell Road Glove Twilight
M44.5 Merrell Bare Access Black/Gecko
Jammy

Jammy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 08, 2012, 04:14:46 AM »

Last week I fell on the slippery wet grass while doing dog agilty wearing VFFs, and everyone commented about buying decent shoes...  Angry

Once you go barefoot you'll never go back! :-)

VFF Spyridon LS - VFF KomodoSport - VFF Bikila LS - VFF Sprints khaki/putty/clay are on their way :-) - Inov-8 Bare Grip 200 - VivoBarefoot Neo Trail
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 08, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »

Last week I fell on the slippery wet grass while doing dog agilty wearing VFFs, and everyone commented about buying decent shoes...  Angry

Ouch! That must have been so frustrating!

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple,EVO WP
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Dubbsy

Dubbsy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 10, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »

The only person who has had a negative comment so far was my wife and our friend kayla.  Wife says "ugly"  Kayla says "creepy"

Besides that it is just general questions asking about them.  I got a black pair to avoid a lot of attention to be honest...it really hasn't helped, they still get noticed everywhere.  Undecided
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: