BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 27, 2014, 09:22:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: Bystander Comments on Your VFFs and Barefooting  (Read 127292 times)
sapster

sapster is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: March 19, 2012, 07:15:07 PM »

While waiting for my table to be ready at a restaurant, a lady asked me if my Speeds had good amount of arch support.
I replied, "actually they have the perfect amount"
« Reply #765 on: March 19, 2012, 07:15:07 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 20, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »

Yesterday at the gym after a run outside in my Magenta/Orange Bikilas:

Girl:  Ooh, those are fun colors!
Me:  Thanks, I don't usually wear colors this loud, but they were on sale.
Girl:  Well I like them. 
Me: Thanks

She was wearing some sort of regular running type shoes in bright orange.

At the dentist a couple of weeks ago (I was wearing my black KSO Treks):
Dental hygienist to dentist:  Look at her shoes!
Dentist: Yeah, they're great until you step on a rock.
Me: Well you do have to pay attention to wear you walk.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 20, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »

Yesterday at the gym after a run outside in my Magenta/Orange Bikilas:

Girl:  Ooh, those are fun colors!
Me:  Thanks, I don't usually wear colors this loud, but they were on sale.
Girl:  Well I like them. 
Me: Thanks

She was wearing some sort of regular running type shoes in bright orange.

WHy are people always afraid of what we are going to step on and what it would be like if they stepped on our feet?

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 20, 2012, 01:03:33 PM »

The last time I wore my navy/gray/yellow Classics, I was on my lunch break and I walked past a group of engineers, also on their lunch break.  One of them spotted my shoes and gathered up the troops to converge on my desk.  He just had to show the rest of them what he had seen.  After parading several of them past me, and after I answered the usual barrage of questions, he apologized for putting me on the spot.  Of course it was no big deal and I got to educate several people all at once.  I don't think I made any converts though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:18:44 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« Reply #768 on: March 20, 2012, 01:03:33 PM »

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: March 20, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »

WHy are people always afraid of what we are going to step on and what it would be like if they stepped on our feet?

They have been trained since birth not to pay attention to where they walk.  I was barefoot most of my childhood.  We also had a dog most my life.  So I always look down when I walk.  It was never a concern or issue for me because I had already trained myself to pay attention to where I am walking.  I am always surprised when I am with others how they don't watch where they walk. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Cubicle51

Cubicle51 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 20, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »

I had the same kind of conversation today in a grocery store..
Cashier: that must hurt when you step on a rock
Me: eh..I tend to watch where I put my feet

M41 KSO's (Black/Black), M42 Spyridon, M42 Classic, M43 Leming (Earth Brown x2) (Black x2), Bellville TR MiniMil (Blac) and plain ol' Nekkid pheet

Veneratio est meritus , nunquam donatus.
toh-shu

toh-shu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 21, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »

The last time I wore my navy/gray/yellow Classics, I was on my lunch break and I walked past a group of engineers, also on their lunch break.  One of them spotted my shoes and gathered up the troops to converge on my desk.  He just had to show the rest of them what he had seen.  After parading several of them past me, and after I answered the usual barrage of questions, he apologized for putting me on the spot.  Of course it was no big deal and I got to educate several people all at once.  I don't think I made any converts though.

god the same thing happened to me a the dermatologist a few weeks ago. The lady who i was seeing for a check up saw my treksports and of course was all "oh, you have THOSE shoes!" and says how she really wants to get some. so i answer a few of the usual questions before i abruptly shut her up and change topics because i kind of wanted to discuss and ask questions about oh, i dont know, the reason i went in there in the first place lol. So as we are walking out she has to make me a model and show the other 4 women in the office my wild shoes. I haven't had to explain my vibrams to random that much yet so im still not totally versed on answering all the questions and being put on the spot. It was actually quite flustering getting put on the spot and getting all of these questions from 5 different people and explaining my shoes, it felt like i was giving a lecture to a small class.

My VFFs: Black/Grey TrekSports (Torn and fixed sort of.  Sad), Grey/palm KSOs, White/Grey/Red Bikilas, Brown/Black Spyridon LS, White/Black Speeds

NB MT10
Elenin

Elenin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 24, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »

I've been wearing my black/gold Komodos to high school for the past month and I haven't received a negative response. I expected that because the Human Anatomy & Physiology teacher wears them every day. A lot of girls have commented about them and my social sphere has grown because of my VFFS  Cool. I'm anticipating a decent number of questions from people at Disney when I travel there in a few weeks.
Peter

Peter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 24, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »

They have been trained since birth not to pay attention to where they walk.  ...

Exactly!  I've come to realize that this has led many people to also believe that objects laying on the ground are simply unavoidable.  You WILL step on them.  That's silly, or course.  The "doesn't it hurt when you step on rocks?" question is like a blind-folded person asking a non-blind-folded person why they don't run into walls. 

My new response to this question is: "I don't step on rocks."  It comes across a bit douche-bagy at first, but then I explain what I mean.
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 24, 2012, 03:19:34 PM »

I am living out in a remote oil town that has a lot of imported workers from Newfoundland, Canada. I'm also from there originally, and we saw a band that travelled from Newfoundland to play here last night. They are celebrities back on the island, and are great musicians that have some comedy and storytelling in their performances.

I ran into the lead singer just a little while ago and chatted with him for a few minutes. He noticed my treks right away and asked me all about them. He would have already bought a pair if they had a waterproof version, because the weather in newfoundland is always wet and cold. They would fit his personality great too, as he is a lot of fun when he is on stage. Cool encounter!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
BlackFoxSees

BlackFoxSees is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 25, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »

"When was your last climb?"    -  a guy at a plasma clinic

It was the first time I had to explain my VFF's to someone who already had an incorrect opinion about what they're for. I told him that I had actually climbed in them recently, but that isn't their primary purpose.

I also talked to a dancer who asked about them. She was interested in getting a pair for running, which I encouraged. She lamented that she hasn't danced as much as she used to in a few years, and wiggled her toes in a way that made me wish I had a foot fetish. I guess I hadn't thought of it much before, but dancers have seriously capable feet.
Elenin

Elenin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 28, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »

"Are those shoes specially made by a doctor?"-a substitute teacher

Had me laughing!
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 28, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »

"Are those shoes specially made by a doctor?"-a substitute teacher
That's almost the same as a colleague said to me today. "Do you have to have them specially made?"

"It appears you're wearing gloves on your feet." was his opening gambit... about three hours after he'd first spotted them.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
beachbum1701

beachbum1701 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 02, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »

Shocked

Oh good golly, Miss Molly. Where to begin! I've been wearing "dem damn toe shoes" since 2008, and have been exclusively wearing them since retiring from the Army in February. (Thus far, the Army is the only branch of the US military that has gone to the extreme of actually making a regulation banning freaky-deaky footwear with individual toe pockets during 'organized' physical fitness training, while every other service has either shrugged and OK'd them or gone the opposite direction and made a reg that OK's them... Oy.)

Speaking of the Army, let's start there:

In 2010 I had the chance to watch (as best I can remember the exchange) the following scene during PT one morning on Ft Bliss along a run route. This was between a very crusty Sergeant Major and a fellow E6/Staff Sergeant who I had seen around but didn't know personally. This was well before the Army reg officially banning toe shoes came out:

E6 running past SM: Morning, Sergeant Major.

SM: (grunt)

SM sees toe shoes, whips head around, stops dead.

SM: Hey, troop!

E6 stops and turns to SM, immediately going to Parade Rest: Sergeant Major.

SM, glaring at the black KSOs the E6 is wearing: The hell are you wearing?

(Long story short, E6 gives a Cliff's Notes version of VFFs and his KSO, citing what they have done to relieve his shin splints and their growing popularity.)

SM: I don't gove a good goddamn about yer medical problem! They're f***ing slippers! Get your goddamn PT shoes!

E6: I was told by my company commander, who also wears these, it was okay as there is no regulation against them.

SM: And I'm telling you I don't want to see troops wearing slippers at gaddamn PT! You're a goddamn staff sergeant and you are setting a goddamn poor example for your troops to follow... (Insert several minutes of gratuitous brow beating emphasized with a lot of 'goddamns.')

E6: With all due respect, Sergeant Major, you are not in my chain-of-command, and my company commander has been granted approval to wear his by our battalion commander.

SM, huffing: You gonna tell me how it is? You are the most unprofessional non-commissioned officer I have ever seen. I'll have you and your slippers on the carpet* and busted, you goddamn sh*tbag!

*On the carpet: calling someone 'on the carpet' means to stand before a commanding officer, usually for disciplinary action, as, in the olden days, only officers had carpet in their offices.

E6, retaining military bearing but not backing down: Sergeant Major, these are not slippers. They are running shoes. They allow me to run naturally and without pain, unlike the heavy running shoes the Army has forced me to wear my whole career which almost crippled me. Almost every infantry soldier has some problem with ankles, feet and knees, and it's your kind of unprofessional ignorance that will continue breaking good soldiers off.

By now there were a lot of soldiers milling about trying not to appear engrossed in their exchange but obviously enjoying a staff sergeant hold his ground against this SM.

SM, shaking with anger: (like Clint Eastwood) Moove the f*ck out, troop! I'll have your ass!

With that he turned and jogged off. The E6 stood and watched him go, pointing to the SM's NEON GREEN AIR JORDAN BASKETBALL SHOES HE WAS WEARING WITH A GRAY ARMY PT SHIRT AND BLACK ARMY PT SHORTS making sure all the soldiers with sight noticed as well. There were many chuckles in the SM's wake.

And one I get asked alot as I wear mine (among my friends, I am known as the Imelda Marcos of VFFs; if you don't know who that is, you are to young to remember. Google her...)

Uninformed Heel Striker: (points to my toe shoes) Do those work?

Me: (with incredulous stare) As a renewable energy source...? As...food...?

(I usually have to bite my tongue not to add: "Here's yer sign!")
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 02, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »

Really cool story!

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple,EVO WP
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: