BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 20, 2014, 04:57:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 68
  Print  
Author Topic: Bystander Comments on Your VFFs and Barefooting  (Read 112086 times)
armadillo76

armadillo76 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: June 15, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »

Is this about politics or barefooting?
Huh? I think it started as how to get the VFF ambassador cards outside of North America, an island was mentioned and then a short education of the island of Great Britain and surroundings geography.
Where are you seeing politics? Though I suppose there is the politics of bare footing/minimalist shoes.
Back to the topic, no comments today but a look from a lady while dining. I saw her look at the shoes, then me, then the shoes. Didn't say anything though.
G'night, AndyB, NH.

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
« Reply #855 on: June 15, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »

nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 15, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »

Is this about politics or barefooting?
No, it was geography, about which I was being a little playful.

The point is, Vibram USA sends out ambassador cards to people in USA and Canada who request them. Vibram Europe seems to be a lot less gregarious.

VFF: M46: KSO (Four colours), Trek (Brwn)x2, Trek LS (Blk), Treksport (Bk/Bk, Orange/Bk), KMDSport (Bk/Silver), EL-X (Black),
     Flow (Bk), Signa, Speed (Bk/Wht), Sprint (Wht/Blue, fake?); M47: Speed (Bk/Wht), Classic (Grey/Green, too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove (Blk), 47 VB Synth Hiker
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 18, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »

In the Midwest on business and went for a jog in a development behind where I'm staying. 

I heard a car then I hear....
"Hippie", Yo, Hippy" 
I turned to look and the guy goes yeah you, Hippie...  You seriously running barefoot....?
I just smiled, and yelled "nothin better" and continued on.....

I'm curious, when others hear Hippie what do you think?  I think long hair, twig thin, the dead, barefoot girls in summer dresses (Ah, Joss Stone)Cheesy, Vanagon's, etc.  Me, muscular build and my hair is tight 3/8" top 1/16" sides and cut every 2 weeks.  It's been that way since I gave up the mullet many many many years ago Grin.

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
DrBig74

DrBig74 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 20, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »

In the Midwest on business and went for a jog in a development behind where I'm staying. 

I heard a car then I hear....
"Hippie", Yo, Hippy" 
I turned to look and the guy goes yeah you, Hippie...  You seriously running barefoot....?
I just smiled, and yelled "nothin better" and continued on.....

I'm curious, when others hear Hippie what do you think?  I think long hair, twig thin, the dead, barefoot girls in summer dresses (Ah, Joss Stone)Cheesy, Vanagon's, etc.  Me, muscular build and my hair is tight 3/8" top 1/16" sides and cut every 2 weeks.  It's been that way since I gave up the mullet many many many years ago Grin.

You are correct.  I travel quite a bit, but in many parts of the mid-West, USA, hippie means that you are doing something different than "normal folk" in that area, and they don't like it.  Had a young adult (kid, really) tell me that "if it ain't country, it's crap!" To each his/her own.  Ignorance is bliss, but normal, I guess.  BTW- I have many friends that are real cowboys, so I mean no offense to anything country!  Smiley

Be well!

DrBig74
« Reply #858 on: June 20, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 20, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

I'm curious, when others hear Hippie what do you think?  I think long hair, twig thin, the dead, barefoot girls in summer dresses (Ah, Joss Stone)Cheesy, Vanagon's, etc. 

I was born and raised in the Midwest and still live here.  Of course this topic is likely going to be controversial and stereotyping, but I am going to answer anyway.   Wink  When I hear hippie, I think weeds and seeds.  A long haired, pot smoking, tree hugging, no deodorant wearing person.  If I see someone walking barefoot, I certainly do not immediately think Hippie. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 20, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »

I'm curious, when others hear Hippie what do you think?  I think long hair, twig thin, the dead, barefoot girls in summer dresses (Ah, Joss Stone)Cheesy, Vanagon's, etc. 

I was born and raised in the Midwest and still live here.  Of course this topic is likely going to be controversial and stereotyping, but I am going to answer anyway.   Wink  When I hear hippie, I think weeds and seeds.  A long haired, pot smoking, tree hugging, no deodorant wearing person.  If I see someone walking barefoot, I certainly do not immediately think Hippie. 

Too funny..... 

@DrBig74,
Well, I'm not normal....  If that makes me a hippie, so be it....   Cool   I'll be out again tonight once the temp drops a little we'll see if I can get any other comments.   

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
Joel S

Joel S is a new face.

Toe wigglin'

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 20, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »

I also tend to think B.O. that could clear out a room.

I have had people call my VFF's hippie shoes, lol.
DrBig74

DrBig74 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 20, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »

Too funny..... 

@DrBig74,
Well, I'm not normal....  If that makes me a hippie, so be it....   Cool   I'll be out again tonight once the temp drops a little we'll see if I can get any other comments.   

I like different, and this topic thread!  Looking forward to future comments from your trip!
All my best to all the "different" people out there!

Be well!

DrBig74
happyfeet

happyfeet is a new face.

Barefoot since 1970

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 23, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »

I was standing outside a restaurant at lunch talking to my mom and a "suit and tie" walks by and says, "OH Man!  Awesome Shoes!"  He was referencing my truely awesome (mauve) classics.  I said I totally agreed.  I like to think by the way he commented that he has a few pairs in his closet at home, if not, he definately appreciated my spectacular taste in shoes.  Wink

"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Wanted: Grados - Size: 38
beachbum1701

beachbum1701 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 25, 2012, 12:22:04 AM »

Recently, I found myself in a particularly foul mood after a really crappy day. I was hoping a good workout at the gym would help me burn it off so I could relax that evening. In the locker room, as I am changing into my workout rags, a guy in about his 20s stops, looks down at my black KSOs, and asks, "Hey! Do those work?"

Snapping the lock on my locker and turning to go, I replied, "As an alternative fuel source? No."

Needless to say, when he saw me on the gym floor he kept his distance. I felt like a dick.
toh-shu

toh-shu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 25, 2012, 01:56:43 AM »

HAHAHAHA, thats a hilarious quick response! Sucks you snapped at him, but of course understandable. After a shitty day the last thing I wouldn't be too joyful to go over the whole spiel to someone.

My VFFs: Black/Grey TrekSports (Torn and fixed sort of.  Sad), Grey/palm KSOs, White/Grey/Red Bikilas, Brown/Black Spyridon LS, White/Black Speeds

NB MT10
armadillo76

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 25, 2012, 05:06:10 PM »

Two things. First was at my local eatery. The father was pointing out my monkey shoes to his kids who seemed quite amused. However, I was TWO FEET AWAY and he never once made direct contact with me?! People are weird. Maybe I need a tshirt that reads "Andy the handlebar moustached, monkey toe boy! 25 cents a look, $1 to touch!"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2852240479_7f9d3dd2b2.jpg
(Sorry, not sure about posting pics from google)
The second was in an Eddie Bauer outlet clothing store. I was looking for some shorts and asked if they had some smaller sizes and got them from a helpful young man. He asked about the shoes. Were they comfortable? Did I run in them? Etc. I gave him one of my Vibram FiveFingers "amabassador" cards and wrote down this site for further information. No funny comments, just sincere interest.
Oh, third (or pre-1) was from a father whose kids were at church (running around barefoot of course because flip flops are apparently too restrictive for children?). I pointed out they made them in kids sizes and were as close to being barefoot without being barefoot (think I had KSO on then). He tried to discourage them by saying the school wouldn't allow them because of limits on open toe shoes:-( I point out that except for my Hi-Tech Magnums, the protection from impact is no worse than normal sneakers (and I am forever resting things on my feet. Tables, desks, whatever I am carrying or hauling.).
Drat, now I feel like Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition skit! One more thing. A waitress at Cheers scolding me for having 10 pairs of them. Ridiculous! I only have, err, wait, 11? Is there a VFF Anonymous? My name is Andy and I have too many toe shoes? Hehe.
Okay, enough rambling. Back to work. AndyB, NH.

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
AMD64Blondie

AMD64Blondie is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 26, 2012, 12:48:10 AM »

Brilliant idea,Andy.We should start our own VFF Anonymous  group here on birthdayshoes.com.
paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 26, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »

What exactly do they Amabassador cards say ?

Ive now got 2 stock answers for any queries about the comfort of VFFs (which strangely seems to be the most common query) -

1) If I think the enquirer is genuine - "Imagine fine Hawaiian maidens soaking their hands in coconut oil for 2 days before slipping them into the finest silk gloves and then caressing your feet - thats what these are like"

or

2) If I think the enquirer is taking the piss - "Its like walking on a bed of nails, but Im a masochist so I love them...."
armadillo76

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 26, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »

"Someone handed you this card to spread the word about vibram FiveFingers, a revolutionary new foot ware line.
Check out our FiveFingers at www.vibramfivefingers.com or visit your local FiveFingers retailer:"
With a line to put a retailer tho I often write the birthdayshoes.com for more information about minimalist foot ware.

I was kind of hoping for a list of common questions and answers.

I just tell people they are great, comfortable (slow to get my feet accustomed to them), like "gloves for your feet" and the closest to being barefoot without being barefoot.
Don't know if i convert anyone but maybe planting a seed of wonder they will eventually try them out, like I did, and love them.
AndyB, NH.

KSO Trek
KomodoSport
KSO
Bormio
Trek LS
Flow
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 68
  Print  

Jump to: