BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 20, 2014, 09:03:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hole in my VFF Sole.  (Read 860 times)
dredone

dredone is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »

I notice all my VFF's wear a hole on the outside of my right foot.  
Obviously my feet land differently although they don't feel like it.

These Komodosport's are my absolute favorite with the liner, etc. and have roughly 300 running miles/3 months/on blacktop. I tried running w/the hole but it causes blisters and rocks get into the pad.

A pair every 3 months would be quite expensive.

Well, I'm looking at some of those skeletoe (?) shoes tonight.  Less expensive and MAYBE will last longer. Who knows...

edit: Just found this post about shoe goo http://birthdayshoes.com/vibram-five-fingers-sole-repair-using-shoe-goo.  Maybe if I try the Goo before the hole starts wearing bad that will extend the life of my VFFs? Think I'll give it a try. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:06:22 PM by dredone » Logged
« on: March 14, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »

That hole is too large to be fixed.  Sorry Sad You would have to use allot of shoe goo.  It wears off quickly and you have to apply it often.  So you would be spending more on shoe goo then you would on a new pair of shoes. 

Skeletoes quality are no wear near VFF.  I was the one who reviewed Skeletoes 2.0 for the site.  If you like the Komodosport then you will consider the Skeletoes a step backwards. 

You best bet is to look for a pair of Komodosport on sale. 

Also work on your running form.  Holes and stuff on the bottom of the shoe form from friction.  Friction is caused by dragging your feet.  If you step directly down and lift directly with out dragging the shoe along the ground it will greatly prolong the life of the shoe.  I have a pair of leather bottomed house shoes that I have had for a long time.  They have not worn thin because I walk carefully making sure not to drag them along the ground as I walk.  It is the friction that causes the wear and tear on the soles of the shoe.

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
dredone

dredone is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »

Yes, those VFFs in the photo are in the trash now.  I'm going to TRY the Shoe Goo on some older VFFs (Bikilia, KSO's) that are worn thin or have very small hole...then look for the Komodosport's on sale.

Form...I have been thinking about that lately whilst running.  My typical thought is usually "lift" my heal and let the other foot simply "drop".  I am , however, probably causing unnecessary friction on the bottom of my foot.  Even after 2+ years in these things I still need to improve my form.

Also am passing on the Skeletoes after trying them on today.

Thanks for your excellent input.
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »

The shoe goo should help the KSO and other pairs you are talking about.  It will help delay the wear and tear of smaller holes.  I use it to make sure the leather around my Bormio and Trek LS stays glued to the sole.

Yea in terms of form.  Well I don't run enough to be an expert.  I got started but quit after awhile.  One of the things I did learn is that you can always work on your form.  Even the pros are trying to improve their strides. 

For me it is a catch 22.  You have to feel natural to run well.  If you think about it is kind of loose that natural intuition.  You have to think about it though to improve your form though. 

One of the things I read is to run barefooted.  That gives you a idea real quick how you are landing and pushing off.  It seems like for me allot of my friction comes from the push off.  I kind of flick my foot backwards at times. That is where most of my friction comes from when I walk.

Keep a look out for a replacement Komodosport on Sale.  If I see any i will let you know.  Do you like the LS or the Strap?     

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »

barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »

Form...I have been thinking about that lately whilst running.  My typical thought is usually "lift" my heal and let the other foot simply "drop".  I am , however, probably causing unnecessary friction on the bottom of my foot.  Even after 2+ years in these things I still need to improve my form.

The 2 plus years is because the VFF's are still not allowing the proper feedback you need to change your form.  There are many good sources of information on here, other sites, and in print by authors on here.  The best advice I can give is to find a hard surface, kick off those shoes, and take a 50 - 100 foot jaunt.  NO MORE!  Listen to your body and feet.  They will guide you.  It is easy to overdue it!  "Read your skin" and work on that form.  Do this before or after your runs.  When you learn to properly walk and run bare you will rarely, if ever, wear your soles out. 

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
dredone

dredone is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »

Keep a look out for a replacement Komodosport on Sale.  If I see any i will let you know.  Do you like the LS or the Strap?     

Thanks, either one is fine w/me.
dredone

dredone is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »

The 2 plus years is because the VFF's are still not allowing the proper feedback you need to change your form.  There are many good sources of information on here, other sites, and in print by authors on here.  The best advice I can give is to find a hard surface, kick off those shoes, and take a 50 - 100 foot jaunt.  NO MORE!  Listen to your body and feet.  They will guide you.  It is easy to overdue it!  "Read your skin" and work on that form.  Do this before or after your runs.  When you learn to properly walk and run bare you will rarely, if ever, wear your soles out. 
Yes I've studied a fair amount over time and actually feel very comfortable/relaxed running in my VFF's.
I'll withhold my opinion about some of the experts  Smiley who are very popular BUT, I agree, and believe you are correct. 
I'll add some barefoot before/after my runs; it will be fun.  I did this a bit on my first pair but clearly it's been too long and not frequent enough.
thanks!
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »

Yes I've studied a fair amount over time and actually feel very comfortable/relaxed running in my VFF's.
I'll withhold my opinion about some of the experts  Smiley who are very popular BUT, I agree, and believe you are correct. 
I'll add some barefoot before/after my runs; it will be fun.  I did this a bit on my first pair but clearly it's been too long and not frequent enough.
thanks!

Honestly, I'm too dumb to run in shoes...  Grin  Anything on my feet when running and I get lazy with my form (even KSO's).  My bare feet are the only thing that keep me honest.  BTW, The best expert is your skin...... 

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »

Just to give an idea of how long VFFs can last, my original Black KSOs from 2007 have around 1800 miles on then. I still have about 1mm of tread left before it is down to the bottom of the sipping. I also have a pair of Flows with 800 miles on them with about half the tread left. My newer red remix KSOs have 250 miles on them and they still look new. Its a shame you are going through them so fast.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: