BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 26, 2014, 10:57:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Correct a Bunion - Naturally  (Read 144029 times)
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »

Yeah, while I think there's something in the whole VFF phenomenon, and I'm not a big believer in the idea that things can be over-thought, this is too much.

I understood it.  But then, I edit writing for a living.  I'm also prone to over-clausing myself.  Wink

1) He think's there's something to the VFF phenom.
2) He's believes that over-thinking isn't usually a problem.
3) Despite those two things, the over-thinking here is too much.

It makes sense if you sub out the commas for periods, and think of this as something that someone said, instead of wrote.

Anyhoo... Barefoot, I really do think that you're spending more time worrying about what MIGHT happen, instead of what is LIKELY to happen, and all of that worrying is wasting time trying out the shoes and seeing what DOES happen.

I've been wearing the shoes for several months, and I can count on one hand the number of strangers who have said anything about the shoes, and all but one have been positive (and the one didn't say anything, just looked alarmed).  I'm not an exhibitionist, so I was dreading this a bit myself, but you know what?  Screw 'em.  They are random people who you'll never see again.

Family, friends, and bosses are harder to deal with, sometimes (my friends all found the shoes intriguing and cool - and now they're used to them and ignore them) and I don't wear them to work. 

Overall, you're giving the impression of someone who DOESN'T want to buy or wear VFFs. 

So don't. 

Or do. 

But, really, truly, honestly... you are getting immensely worked up with might-be scenarios that could be dismissed in an instant by getting a pair and trying them out.  At this point, you've read all the boards, you've read all our responses, and you are STILL unsure.

So at this point, fish or cut bait.  Try the shoes or don't.  They will either work or they won't. 

It's just that simple.  Don't make it more complicated than you need to. 

Really.  It makes ME anxious reading what you're writing here, and I'm worried for you.   Embarrassed  Try on the shoes.  Or don't.  But, please, stop worrying so much about things that may or may never happen. 

(Ants?  Syringes?  I mean, good lord.  That's like 1% of possible problems, and yet that's keeping you from just trying a pair?  Most people worry about things like dog poo and glass, which are at least common dangers - and dangers that one figures out aren't much of a big deal after all.)

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »

Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »

(Ants?  Syringes?  I mean, good lord.  That's like 1% of possible problems, and yet that's keeping you from just trying a pair?  Most people worry about things like dog poo and glass, which are at least common dangers - and dangers that one figures out aren't much of a big deal after all.)

I second Rana. Honestly, I never fully read these posts, but skim it, since they're way too long. Don't know how I missed the ants/syringe thing. LOL

You have eyes and I'm guessing some sort of sense not to 1) walk on syringes lying in the street 2) avoid ant piles. These dangers would be bad for anyone, shoes or vffs. 
ZeitHeld

ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.

And so Antaeus returns, wiser for the wear.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

Yeah, while I think there's something in the whole VFF phenomenon, and I'm not a big believer in the idea that things can be over-thought, this is too much.

I understood it.  But then, I edit writing for a living.  I'm also prone to over-clausing myself.  Wink

1) He think's there's something to the VFF phenom.
2) He's believes that over-thinking isn't usually a problem.
3) Despite those two things, the over-thinking here is too much.

It makes sense if you sub out the commas for periods, and think of this as something that someone said, instead of wrote.

I realize I do it, but it's not been enough to stop me, especially since I've been told by my creative writing classmates that they hear my voice when they read my work. Admittedly, that's pretty jokes.

Apologies to everyone for the sub-conversation here.

While I absolutely despise what Nike means for footwear, I'll agree that they have a great slogan. Just do it.

twitter.com/derekofbavaria
facebook.com/derek.beyer
Barefoot Down Under

Barefoot Down Under is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 05:59:40 PM »

Yes, I do care quite a lot about what other people think. But I care even more about getting rid of my bunion. I would never let other people's perceptions of me stop me from doing what's best for my health. Furthermore, I am not prepared to let others deny me the pleasure of feeling the ground beneath my feet.

Barefoot Down Under
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 05:59:40 PM »

Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 08:55:32 PM »

Alright, color me officially confused at this point.   Huh

Barefoot - do you intend to try a pair of VFFs or not?

Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »

Alright, color me officially confused at this point.   Huh

Barefoot - do you intend to try a pair of VFFs or not?

Rana, I don't think it matters. Let's just consider this thread "closed".

Also getting your bunion surgically fixed is probably the best way to go.

If barefootdownunder had made more references to the film The Big Lebowski, I'd say Jamwalker was back. Wink
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 09:09:47 PM »

Rana, I don't think it matters. Let's just consider this thread "closed".

That's probably a good idea.  It's not very enjoyable trying to hold a conversation with someone who just wants to soliloquize, Woody Allen style. 

Jamwalker's spelling and grammar was a lot worse; I'll give this dude that.

I'll see you in the other threads...  Wink

Barefoot Down Under

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 11:09:57 PM »

In case you're not aware, yes I do have a pair of VFF's, yes I have tried them on, yes I have worn them in public, and yes I intend to keep wearing them in public. I'm just not sure which is better overall - wearing VFF's or going completely barefoot. Some people tell me that VFF's will do more to correct my bunion than going completely barefoot, whereas others tell me I might wear a hole in the big toe pocket and would be much better off simply going barefoot. Any takers?

Barefoot Down Under.
SWANK-E

SWANK-E is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 07:31:21 AM »

Victoria Beckham needs surgery to remove her bunions but still insists on wearing high heels.
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/people/posh-crippled-by-high-heels-20091130-jzf3.html
Barefoot Down Under

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »

She wears high-heels all day long and then expects not to get bunions from them? What is her problem with flat shoes? Doesn't she know that her beloved high-heels have turned her into a heel-striker, so that her body can no longer absorb stress properly. It's absolutely pointless giving bunion surgery to Victoria Beckham, because she'll only be back in a few years' time for more. She should either ditch the high-heels completely or expect to put up with bunion pain for the rest of her life. There are no other options.

Barefoot Down Under.
ZeitHeld

ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.ZeitHeld is making a name for themselves.

And so Antaeus returns, wiser for the wear.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 06:43:38 PM »

It's likely she doesn't have the foggiest that there is a connection between her feet and her shoes.

twitter.com/derekofbavaria
facebook.com/derek.beyer
Barefoot Down Under

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 01:39:04 AM »

Sigh... Send her back to preschool!!!
Technesoma

Technesoma is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »

Hi Y'all!

I love the discussion here!  I'm the owner of Transcend Bodywork, the link provided for Correct Toes @ in the first post on this topic. http://www.transcendbodywork.com/Correct_Toes.html

I'm reading lots of great thinking about how to correct bunions naturally and rehabilitate our atrophied feet.

I wanted to clarify a couple of things about Correct Toes.  I work directly with the podiatrist who invented them, and utilize them in my structural integration/myofascial therapy practice which focuses on alleviating chronic pain.

1. Correct Toes are best utilized when active, they can be used as a night splint, but this only conveys about a third of the benefit.

2. Correct Toes are designed to function within wide-toed footwear, preferably footwear that hold the toes in the same plumb plane as the heel, without inflare. Read this article for more info about shoe position: http://www.transcendbodywork.com/Correct_Toes_files/Rossi%20-%20Why%20Shoes%20Make%20Gait%20Impossible.pdf

3. I most often recommend use within Crocs Shoes for folks first working with them.  The inventor regularly runs in Crocs while wearing correct toes.  The greatest benefit comes in asking your feet to build new motor and sensory neuropathways that can only be established while figuring out how to move under a functional load within gravity, while not trapped by "supportive, technological" footwear.

4. Correct toes do allow individual articulation of the toes.  They are made of Medical Grade Silicone - Yep, Breast Implants!  Think of something similarly pliable as a breast between your toes.  Some of the best formation of new neuropathways occurs at the moment of removal, as you wiggle your toes and stare in awe at the tactile differentiation and individual mobility of your toes, that was not present when you first put your Correct Toes on. 

5. "Traditional" shoes push toes together into a pointy-paddle shape, effectively holding them in a "cast", allowing them to move as just one piece.  If your shoes have space for your arches and toes to spread, they will start to gravitate toward proper structure/strength.  THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN OFFER YOUR FEET, IF YOU WANT THEM STRONG!  Arch integrity comes from the musculature which spans them- many toe muscles start in the calf, cross the ankle, span the arch and connect to/control the toes. Spend your days in foot wear that doesn't stick a pillow beneath your arch, and gives your toes room to play with choice of how to most comfortably and sustainably support yourself.

6. Correct Toes help undo the structural deficiency within all three arches, medial, lateral and transverse, created by toe deviation from footwear.  Bunions are an example of a decoupling of the strongest arch structure: the Hallux, or great toe.  If it comes out in-line with the medial arch, the tip of the toe and the Sesamoids (the two floating bones in the ball of your big toe) form a strong tripod - a structural base that translates to a minimal/healthy amount of pronation.  Tripods are very stable, when in-line with what they support.  If you've ever sat on the edge of a three legged table, you know the problem behind bunions.  As the Hallux abducts (points in) the sesamoids migrate toward the middle of the foot leaving their position within the tripod that supports the medial arch.  Not being able to find support in this tripod makes balance feel precarious, every step falling on the edge of a "three legged table", initiating toe gripping/contraction, further pulling the great toe out of line.

7.Lengthening the connective tissues responsible for Abducting the Hallux is necessary if the great toe has decoupled to this degree.  This is the function of using Correct Toes while active, the tissues needing change won't feel the need to adapt/change unless used. A visit to your local Rolfer or Myofascial therapist wouldn't hurt either.  If your foot is pizza dough, Correct Toes are the chef spinning/spreading it into reliable form.  But you gotta get cooking.  Bunion surgery is often repeated within several of years if the muscular/connective tissue/nervous system forces that pulled the toe out of alignment aren't addressed.  I recommend addressing these soft-tissue-issues first, and if you fail to achieve the results wanted, then consider the blade.  None of my clients have needed the blade, once they worked on the soft tissue causes.

8. I'll be posting a video with me and the inventor of Correct Toes, illustrating what I'm talking about in the next couple of weeks on my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Technesoma

& Alternative musculoskeletal health is my life, and I'm always willing to geek out on it.  Don't hesitate with your questions.

http://www.transcendbodywork.com

Aaron Gustafson LMT, CAMT
hinogi

hinogi is a regular 'round here.hinogi is a regular 'round here.hinogi is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »

I'm not a podiatrist, so I'd assume that if you remove the structure preventing to move you toes freely they would adapt accordingly and find a new position that fits the new situation. So why do I want overpriced toe separator?

those won't even cost a buck. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:51:11 PM by hinogi » Logged
Technesoma

Technesoma is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »

Here's the video I told you I'd post with Dr. Ray McClanahan - you'll also find his wisdom featured in this Aprils Running Times Mag in the article about transitioning to less shoe.

Natural Foot Wisdom with Podiatrist Dr. Ray McClanahan

Enjoy happy feet,

Aaron
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: