Welcome to BirthdayShoes! Love running in my Bikila LSs!
Anyway, I'm excited to start running. While I wait 8-14 business days for them to arrive, a few Qs:
- How do I wash these things? Machine & dryer okay?
You can machine wash them, but make sure to hang dry them. Don't throw them in a dryer!
- How much warmer are these compared to regular socks+shoes?
I've found the Bikila LSs to be slightly cooler than the KSOs, KSO Treks, and the Trek LSs due to the really thin upper material. Though I do just fine with them for winter running here in Northern California.
- Good literature to read up on the background/benefits of barefooting?
Everyone here on the forums has there favorites, but there's way too many ... from Maffetone to Romanov to Dreyer to Sandler to Barefoot Ken Bob...
- Any super-casual/newbie-friendly running programs, exercises, recommendations, etc?
- What is proper running form, and how do I get it?
The best advice I can give -- and this is coming from someone who started in VFFs and got injured -- is to start really slow. A bunch of us on the forums have been injured because we did too much too soon. I was sidelined for two weeks because I did too many miles, and some have come down with metatarsal stress fractures.
You'll get lots of good advice from the folks here as far as how to transition. Most will advise you to actually start running barefoot first for a few hundred yards once a week and "let your skin be your guide". And keep your weekly mileage in VFFs really really low for the first few months until the muscles in your feet grow stronger.