BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 23, 2014, 05:18:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought my very first VFFs!  (Read 759 times)
Caspid

Caspid is a new face.

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »

Hiya, I just moved from MD to SoCal; def a lot more VFFs here than back east.  I'm not really much for exercise (never really needed it), but I get the feeling it might be a good thing to do.  The people around here're particularly health-conscious, so I figured I might as well join the craze!  

After extensive research and a couple of trips to the local athletic store to get sized, I decided on a size 37 black/gray Bikila LS for its laced fit, closed top, suitability for running, and looks (although I would've gotten Speeds if they had small black/white ones!)  Got em from Moosejaw for $52 shipped, and a pair of Injinji toe socks.  When I tried Sprints, size 37 was too loose and 36 was slightly crammy, but 37 Bikilas fit fine (a tiny bit of gap between toes and the toe cup except for my index toe), despite the sizing chart - I guess Bikilas are halfway between Sprint sizes or something...

Anyway, I'm excited to start running.  While I wait 8-14 business days for them to arrive, a few Qs:
  • How do I wash these things?  Machine & dryer okay?
  • How much warmer are these compared to regular socks+shoes?
  • Good literature to read up on the background/benefits of barefooting?
  • Any super-casual/newbie-friendly running programs, exercises, recommendations, etc?
  • What is proper running form, and how do I get it?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:14:41 AM by Caspid » Logged
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »

Welcome to BirthdayShoes!  Love running in my Bikila LSs!

Anyway, I'm excited to start running.  While I wait 8-14 business days for them to arrive, a few Qs:
  • How do I wash these things?  Machine & dryer okay?

You can machine wash them, but make sure to hang dry them.  Don't throw them in a dryer!

• How much warmer are these compared to regular socks+shoes?

I've found the Bikila LSs to be slightly cooler than the KSOs, KSO Treks, and the Trek LSs due to the really thin upper material.  Though I do just fine with them for winter running here in Northern California.

• Good literature to read up on the background/benefits of barefooting?

Everyone here on the forums has there favorites, but there's way too many ... from Maffetone to Romanov to Dreyer to Sandler to Barefoot Ken Bob...

• Any super-casual/newbie-friendly running programs, exercises, recommendations, etc?

The best advice I can give -- and this is coming from someone who started in VFFs and got injured -- is to start really slow.  A bunch of us on the forums have been injured because we did too much too soon.  I was sidelined for two weeks because I did too many miles, and some have come down with metatarsal stress fractures.

You'll get lots of good advice from the folks here as far as how to transition.  Most will advise you to actually start running barefoot first for a few hundred yards once a week and "let your skin be your guide".  And keep your weekly mileage in VFFs really really low for the first few months until the muscles in your feet grow stronger.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:41:21 AM »

there's a bunch of good literature out there, especially on this site. can even check out vibrams barefoot info.  i've also browsed other minimalist sites like vivobarefoot for their info on barefoot benefits and such.  of course, you can always read "born to run" by christopher mcdougall.

take some time to google search different articles and stuff and browse through this forum and you'll answer all your questions.

biggest, most common-sense piece of advice i can give is, listen to your body.  it's self-explanatory and unfortunately many forget about it.  anything starts feeling odd or off, stop and figure out what it is.  tightness in the calf, intense pressure on your arches, pain in smaller digits, etc. personal example, this last week i was getting lower back pain from running even though i thought i was doing everything right until tonight when i realized i was looking down which forced me to lean forward just a touch.  as soon as i kept my head up and looked at the world my back went straight and i was completely pain free.  its kind of a learning on your own experience as well.  coming from the book i mentioned, running is something that is supposed to be instinctual but we've been heavily influenced over time by many factors so it takes a little time to readjust to what comes natural.  just feel it, don't force it.

of course something i said is self explanatory i went ahead and explained so. there ya go. lmao
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:46:13 AM by vice69 » Logged

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »

By running barefoot.  And I don't mean in VFFs.

People shun the idea, but it's the best and safest way to learn.  Find some clean concrete paths or streets in your area, and let the bottoms of your feet tell you what to do and how far to go.  Search "Barefoot Running University" and start your researching.  Good threads on here as well.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »

Litening

Litening is a new face.

View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »

When it comes to washing, if you have bad foot smell, soak them in Efferdent. It has worked wonders for me. I was skeptical, but it was awesome.
    Soak them in very warm water with a couple of Efferdent (denture cleaner) tablets for an hour, and it'll kill the smell.

....oooO..............
    .....(....)...Oooo...
    ......\..(.....(....)....
    ........\_)....)../.....
    ...............(_/.......
    Yes ... I stole this too
    PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »

Here's a link to some good information about transitioning to barefoot or minimalist running:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/new-barefoot-minimalist-runners-start-here

AND welcome to the site!

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
    Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
    Pages: [1]
      Print  

Jump to: