BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 23, 2014, 05:24:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KomodoSport back pain  (Read 962 times)
Dodgeza

Dodgeza is a new face.

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:12 AM »

Hi All,

First time poster and long time fan of VFF - I have two sets of VFFs - my first were a pair of Speeds. These have been a complete revelation in my life and since I started using them over a year ago I have actually been able to run with no back pain at all and very very minor shin splints. They have improved my athlectic performance significantly as I have been injury free for a season of rugby thanks to being able to fitten up by running and weight lifting in these especially squats is a dream.

I decided I needed a backup pair a few weeks back and could not find a Bikila or Speed in my country at the moment. So I decided I'd go for the Komodo, they feel great don't look to bad but I can't run in them for any amount of time without and extreme pain in my back lower. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this at all? Do I just need to give them a chance t bed in or am I screwed?

I really would like to use them as my backup pair and if there is any tweaking I should do or anything I need to know please help.

Thanks,
Ken

« on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:12 AM »

dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »

going back to your Speeds seems like the only sensible thing to do if the pain does not subside
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

I haven't had any problems running in my Komodosports. 

I wonder if it has anything to do with the slight amount of cushioning? Can you try running in them after removing the sock liners?

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Dodgeza

Dodgeza is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »

If I run in the run in the KS and then switch to the Speeds the back pain abates immediately, I did an 8KM 2 lap circuit, KS on the first lap, no good, second I switched to Speed and it was a dream... which kinda sucks. I thought it might be the extra cushioning, I'll try yank the inners out, they seem quite well glued in though. Will the shoe function the same without the inner inside?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »

PB Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »

I thought it might be the extra cushioning, I'll try yank the inners out, they seem quite well glued in though. Will the shoe function the same without the inner inside?

I haven't taken the liners out of mine. I would think the shoe would function fine, though. I've heard of others taking out the liners. Maybe some of them will weigh in here.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 12:55:46 AM »

i had back pain until i started looking up while running. then it went away. maybe posture?

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
Dodgeza

Dodgeza is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »

i had back pain until i started looking up while running. then it went away. maybe posture?

Oh my.... it made a huge difference! No pain at all... how did I not get this in my Speeds?

Thanks so much, I feel really dumb now :-)
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »

Oh my.... it made a huge difference! No pain at all... how did I not get this in my Speeds?

Thanks so much, I feel really dumb now :-)

Wow, that's fantastic that it worked.  I would say it's probably that you are used to running in your speeds and there was more feedback so you didn't think about form.  With the Komodos there was probably a different feel so your form struggled, it caused you to look down to check your form and you got stuck looking at your form instead of trusting your feet.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »

Or you could not stop looking at them because you liked how they look so much... Grin

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
PB Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

Or you could not stop looking at them because you liked how they look so much... Grin

That IS definitely a problem I have!  Grin

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »

Agreed. I think the komodosports are the 'coolest' looking VFF. I really dig the black/gold/silver look of my komodos. Others as the badminton club call me 'Toes'. Though sadly from use and abuse the gold foil is starting to come off. Oh well, they still look and function wonderfully.

I actually tripped over them while looking at the gold and black flashes on my feet when I was working on footwork drills the other day. Luckily I was the first one in the gym, so nobody saw my graceful self-destruction.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »

Cheesy

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »

lol thats great. my hiking group calls me 'shoes'.

glad the posture fix worked! makes a world of difference.

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
Dodgeza

Dodgeza is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 03:41:30 AM »

Ye thanks for the help all. I'm not the worlds most experienced runner so I learn a little every day :-)
For the next while I'll be looking at form over distance until I'm comfy with my run. My strike seems good, landing on 4th 5th MT and I haven't had pain in my calves for ages so its feeling good now that I'm looking up :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: