BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 07:24:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: kso vs trek sport  (Read 6074 times)
Zephyr

Zephyr is starting to look familiar.Zephyr is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »

- Between KSO Trek and Trek Sport, I think the KSO Trek gives you more bang for your buck.  Why?  Well it pretty much boils down to the kangaroo leather upper which is:
a) pretty dang durable
c) is less likely to snag/rip/tear/whatever on trails
The problem here is this: the coconut fabric isn't going to hold up as well on trails as leather, and that's really the whole point of a trail shoe, right?  Needs to be up to the task of trails.  That said, I'm not saying you'll rip your TrekSports out running or hiking in the woods, but it's way more probably (purely my opinion) than with the KSO Treks. 
That said, $125 is a lot to fork over for a pair of shoes -- but so is $100.  Why not just go with KSO? 

The extra grip and foot sole protection against pointy rocks of the Trek soles is $15 worth. KSO soles are very slippery on dusty rocks or loose pebbles when sloping down hills.
Trek's upper leather may be very resistant, but not so the threads that hold leather and fabric pieces together. After a few runs one of the seams burst by just tension generated by the pressure of the foot against the vamps. In contrast, TrekSport seams look sturdier. On the other hand I don't think of the coconut fabric to be easy to tear. In any case I've never torn even the weakest sneaker vamps running on trails. Chances that can cause a tear are infrequent, on the contrary, a sole with poor grip is something you are probably going to notice as soon as the terrain becomes a little more technical (i.e., more slippery and steeper).
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »

barefoot_explorer

barefoot_explorer is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »

The leather has a known weak spot on the side which eventually tears.  The leather is not something I want to submerge, or halfway subwmerge in water along a trail.  Treksports I'll put in water without question.  Treksports have a much better traction sole.  Treksports offer more breath ability with top mesh.  Treksports wins hands down.  No comparison in my mind to leather.  As far as looks it does not matter.  Toe shoes are outlandish to begin with, and treksports are for nature adventures.  I don't think the animals care what I look like.....

Terra Plana vivo barefoot - Aqua(suede), Dharma(leather)
VFF - Treksport, and Sprint
Paper feet sandals

I'm barefoot almost always outside of work.  I only wear shoes at work 5 days a week/6-7 hours per day.
Barefoot at gym, running, shopping in stores, etc
bdcheung

bdcheung is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 09:19:14 AM »

WRT my red cleats coming off...

It's only happening on one shoe, and to date five have fallen off.  I wrote CitySports an email last night and am awaiting their reply.  At this point I'm pretty sure it's a manufacturing defect, as my right shoe is perfectly intact.
Zephyr

Zephyr is starting to look familiar.Zephyr is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 11:04:27 PM »

WRT my red cleats coming off...

It's only happening on one shoe, and to date five have fallen off.  I wrote CitySports an email last night and am awaiting their reply.  At this point I'm pretty sure it's a manufacturing defect, as my right shoe is perfectly intact.

Could you post some close-up of that part of the sole before you send your shoes back to CitySports?
I think some people (like me) may find interesting to see the entrails of these soles.
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 11:04:27 PM »

jasonsong

jasonsong is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 01:44:29 AM »

I wear both. everyday I wear TS, running or at the gym I wear KSO

Wear VFF's and run like a baby.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: