BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 20, 2014, 09:21:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running on grass is bad for you!  (Read 749 times)
skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »

According to this NY Times article - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/nutrition/19best.html?_r=1&ref=health - running on hard surfaces is better for you because it some how causes your body to relax more than running on softer surfaces.  Too bad our ancestors didn't have any asphalt with which to pave over the world!

This is my favorite quote: Perhaps a runner who, like me, strikes the ground with her forefoot instead of her heel, might risk more injuries on softer ground. After all, every time I push off on a soft surface, I twist my foot.  Oh, the agony - I don't even know where to start.  And that photo at the top makes my knees hurt just looking at it!
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:58:26 AM »

Yikes!  The photo makes my knees and heels hurt too!

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:34:50 AM »

It's actually the same concept of the thick padding shoes.  A softer surface or more padding causes your body to step harder to get the feedback it desires.  Grass softer than pavement = more impact. 

Also, because it is softer, flaws in your running are not as pronounced and you will not notice bad habits.  That's why they tell people transitioning to run on pavement instead of sand or grass.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Little King

Little King is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »

That makes a lot of sense, Justin. I would have to agree that I think I run lighter on concrete than on grass because I'm more worried about how my landings are. I think the same could be said about more technical trails, though, because you would want to land very softly in the event you land on something that sticks out of the ground.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »

There is a short section of trail that I run on that is under construction, and they laid some wood mulch on it. Going from a packed dirt/gravel trail to wood mulch is probably one of the strangest transitions I've ever encountered when running. It's almost like running on a sponge, and even worse after it rains. I find that when I hit the solid trail again after running through this section, it takes me a couple of minutes to regain my form. I think it plays tricks with your brain, as you don't have to worry about form at all.

I can't trail run for at least a couple of weeks. We still have a few inches of hardened snow that has to melt, and then the ground needs to dry out which will take a while. The soil we have is muskeg, which is pretty soupy when it gets wet, so it's not uncommon to go up to your ankles in mud. That stuff is really hard to get out of your treads!!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: