BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 20, 2014, 11:44:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: skele-toes voltage, i would like some imput  (Read 1083 times)
barrett09

barrett09 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »

hello, i recently got into the barefoot running scene and i bought a pair of skeletoes voltage at size 13, they have a thumb nails width from toe to end of shoe (even with a toe sock), i was wondering if that means they are too big for running in, i put in the request for return by mail so i could try a size 12. any comments? should i keep the pair i have or try to go for a smaller pair?
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:51:25 AM »

A thumbnail's width of extra space probably means they are too big. Do your feet move around in them? With toe shoes you want them more snug, as most models you can't just reef on the laces. If it hasn't been very long, you should be able to send them in for a smaller pair. Loose fitting shoes like this will cause hot spots and blisters before long, so try a smaller size.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

Rediscovering my humanity one step at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:51:09 AM »

They sound too big.  You probably want to size down. 

That said -- and I don't mean to cone off as a jerk so please hear that--- but the Voltage is a far far far cry from barefoot running. You probably already realize this but I just want to make sure. Basically its going to be difficult to get into barefoot running if you're first impression of it is via the voltage.

My recommendation is that you actually try some true barefoot walking and a very little running first (as in no footwear(.

Good luck!

Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »

What Justin said, but also in defence of the Voltage they've got to be better for the toes than regular trainers are - I used to get blisters between my toes a lot when I wore regular trainers, any shoe that helped space them out would have been a huge help.

I wish the Voltage were around years ago when I was a big fan of all things Fila...I wore heavy, clumpy, Grant-Hill type basketball shoes...  Roll Eyes

My advice to the OP is if you like the style of the Voltage, and get on with the toe pockets and want a minimal toe shoe to run in after walking about a bit barefoot, you may like the look of the Vibram Fivefingers Komodosport LS - they're not cheap I know... but they are said to be comfy, well made, and a good all-rounder, also with the quick lace-up system. Try them on in a shop if you can, it's easier than buying online as you can try lots of pairs of Vibrams on to see what you like, plus get good advice.

I'm saving up for a pair myself. Already have a pair of Speeds which I love, but the Komodos have got to be the next ones! Smiley

I can't wear my toe shoes all the time though, due to work dress code, so I have more office-friendly barefoot shoes for all other times - I now wear nothing but minimal shoes. This way the muscles in my feet have got strong, my achilles tendons have lengthened and nothing aches anymore.

Check out the Merrell barefoot range, the Vivobarefoot shoe range, Stems shoes (Now Lemings) basically check out the reviews on the main page of this website. Smiley

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »

justin
Administrator
Superstar

justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!justin has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »

Yea the voltage isn't a bad choice for a sneaker with a good bit of cushioning. As I said in the review its main drawback is the massive heel to toe drop in sole thickness. this makes natural bio mechanics very difficult.

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »

As far as sizing, I find it helpful to put my toes all the way to the end of the toe pockets and then check and see how much room there is between your heel/Achilles and the back of the shoe.  If there is more than a couple of millimeters, the shoes are probably too big. As others have said, too much room allows the shoe to move too much and cause hot spots and blisters. At least with VFFs, you want a snug, glove-like fit. Haven't tried the Voltage, so I'll defer to Justin on that.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
justin
Administrator
Superstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »

As far as sizing, I find it helpful to put my toes all the way to the end of the toe pockets and then check and see how much room there is between your heel/Achilles and the back of the shoe.  If there is more than a couple of millimeters, the shoes are probably too big. As others have said, too much room allows the shoe to move too much and cause hot spots and blisters. At least with VFFs, you want a snug, glove-like fit. Haven't tried the Voltage, so I'll defer to Justin on that.

Sound advice (even with the Voltage)

barrett09

barrett09 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »

ok, thank you guys for the response, it sounds legit. so im on my way to mail them back in, a size down should be enough though right? no need to go for a size 11?
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »

It is difficult to determine the correct size.  If you are paying shipping to purchase and return these shoes, you could likely take the money being spent on shipping and invest in a pair of Vibrams instead.  Just a thought.  

I found the Vibram Chart to be spot on regarding Classics and KSOs.  You can get pretty good deals on those models if you shop around.  REI had KSO for like $48 for members last I checked.  I recently picked up a pair of Classics for $37.48.  I recently picked up a pair of Sprints for $39.90.  There are deals to be had if you know where to look.  No sense wasting money on anything from Fila when for the same money or a little more, you can get a decent high quality product from Vibram.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:57:56 AM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
barrett09

barrett09 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »

wheres a good place to look?
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »

Hanig's has great deals right now and is legit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:38:43 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »

Travel Country are worth a look too   http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/vibram-fivefingers
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »

www.hanigs.com has great deals right now and is legit.

I bought my Sprints from Hanig's.  Great customer service. 

I basically do a Google search for a specific model/color that I desire and then check the sellers against Vibram's site to verify legitimacy.  There is a huge list of sellers that sell fakes, check it out on the non-forum side of the site.  Be sure to steer clear of them.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
justin
Administrator
Superstar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »

www.hanigs.com has great deals right now and is legit.

I bought my Sprints from Hanig's.  Great customer service. 

I basically do a Google search for a specific model/color that I desire and then check the sellers against Vibram's site to verify legitimacy.  There is a huge list of sellers that sell fakes, check it out on the non-forum side of the site.  Be sure to steer clear of them.

Also you can check out http://birthdayshoes.com/store/ -- a number of retailers who support (via affiliate sales) birthdayshoes also have sales (massey's offers a coupon code, for example).  So please (everyone, not just OP) consider checking out the store.  It costs you absolutely nothing to click a link off birthdayshoes to a store like TravelCountry and then make a purchase (which helps support this site) vs. going directly to TravelCountry (and bypassing birthdayshoes), which does nothing to support this site.

Thanks!

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »

Sorry, forgot, I modified it so there is no link on my post.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: