BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 25, 2014, 07:22:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprints feel too small  (Read 1477 times)
SteveM

SteveM is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »

Hi all, I've been wearing VFF's now for about three months.  I have a M43 in KSO Treks which fit great, and I LOVE.  I also grabbed a pair of Sprints on sale, they are also an M43.  The Sprints however are much smaller on my feet, with my left big toe mashed against the front of the shoe.  The right foot is snug, but not near as bad as the left.  I did some searching around to find a way to stretch them, and found some info on heel inversion and a lighter mod.  I can't seem to find out how to do the lighter mod in my searching.  Can anyone direct me to instructions? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Black KSO Treks, Komodos, Black/camo KSO, Black Sprints, Blue See Yas
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:04:17 AM »

http://birthdayshoes.com/got-morton-s-toe-lengthen-your-vibram-five-fingers-second-toe-with-this-mod

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
SteveM

SteveM is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »

Perfect!  I hadn't searched outside the forum. 

Thanks for your help

SteveM

SteveM is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »

Tried this method last night, with fairly good results.  They are definitely now more wearable.  I think I'll repeat the process once more and they should be perfect.  Thanks for the help.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »

Did you try the heel inversions?  I know they helped me with several pairs.  I have not done the toe mod yet.  I have a pair of Jaya I want to try it to.  I am not sure the EVA would stretch appropriately though. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
sailorwind

sailorwind is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »

The heel inversion did nothing for my slightly too small Sprints, I think the rubber is just too flexible as it is.  However it made a world of difference with my Smartwools.
bigtruckguy3500

bigtruckguy3500 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:25 AM »

SteveM, did the heel on your sprints extend a lot past the back of your foot?  I tried on a pair the other day in the same size as my regular KSOs and noticed a rather large extension.  From what I'm finding out, that appears to be normal (am I right on this?).  Perhaps if you didn't have the heel cup, as I call it, it might have been too small. 
sailorwind

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »

Bigtrucky- avoid my mistake.  Get them in the same size as your KSOs if you MUST have Sprints.  I thought the heel was way too large as well and that my toes would slide out if my heel got pushed all the way back, so I went down a size where the heel was more comfortable.  The result?  I can't wear my sprints for more than 2-3 hours tops before my toes start to feel a bit crushed and the top of my foot gets indents from the fabric.  It's just all around a tiny bit too small.  If the Jayas had been out when I got the Sprints, I'd have probably gotten them instead.  As it is, though the Sprints have the best ground feel, I almost never wear them.  I really wish I'd have listened to this board and bought them in my KSO size.
SteveM

SteveM is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »

SteveM, did the heel on your sprints extend a lot past the back of your foot?  I tried on a pair the other day in the same size as my regular KSOs and noticed a rather large extension.  From what I'm finding out, that appears to be normal (am I right on this?).  Perhaps if you didn't have the heel cup, as I call it, it might have been too small. 

They extend beyond my heel, but only a little. 

dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »

if your sizing is anything like most people, Treks are one down, and you should have gotten M44 for your Sprints, hope the mods work for you
bigtruckguy3500

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:08 PM »

Sailorwind, when you say "if I MUST" have sprints, are you recommending against them?  A place close to where I live has my size on clearance for $40, so I was thinking it'd be a good buy, but only if it fits.  And you're saying that inspite of the relatively large heel cup extension, I shouldn't have problems with it moving on my foot or anything.

Since it's on clearance, and it's not a running store, I'm not sure if they'll let me try running around outside in them.  I shall see though.

Thanks for the feedback.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »

I could never dial in a decent fit on the Sprints.  I tried the same size as my Classics and one size larger.  I did not ever get a chance to downsize compared to Classics. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
sailorwind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »

Sailorwind, when you say "if I MUST" have sprints, are you recommending against them?  A place close to where I live has my size on clearance for $40, so I was thinking it'd be a good buy, but only if it fits.  And you're saying that inspite of the relatively large heel cup extension, I shouldn't have problems with it moving on my foot or anything.

Since it's on clearance, and it's not a running store, I'm not sure if they'll let me try running around outside in them.  I shall see though.

Thanks for the feedback.
I don't necessarily recommend against them. They have the best ground feel of all six of my pairs, but there seem to be two categories of people- 1 on whom the sprints fit perfectly and are their most comfortable pair and 2 on whom the heel cup is totally weird and screws up the whole fitting.  If you are in category 1, first of all I am jealous, and second of all go for it!  If you are in category 2, then perhaps think of purchasing a different model.  That was where the "must" came in.  If that's all they have in your size at the store or they are on sale, I recommend getting the one with the bigger heel cup.  I'm not saying you won't have problems with it moving around on your foot, I don't know if you'll have problems.  That was the reason I went a size down, cause I thought I WOULD have problems with it moving around and my pinky toes slipping out of the toe pockets.  I knew I couldn't buy them and give them a decent test and then return them, so I just bought the size down and they are too small.  If I ever decide to try the Sprints again, I'll order them off of REI so that I can wear them outside and on a run or to the gym and still return them if the fit doesn't work.
SteveM

SteveM is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 05:06:28 PM »

if your sizing is anything like most people, Treks are one down, and you should have gotten M44 for your Sprints, hope the mods work for you

Unfortunately I was late in checking the sizing chart before ordering.  The mod does seem to have given me enough room so that I can now wear them for a while with no pain.  I'm hoping with further wear, they will stretch even a little more. 

bigtruckguy3500

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

So I can trust those heel straps to do a pretty good job of keeping my from sliding around?  I think I'll go ahead and get them.  Worst case scenario I can use them for lift at the gym and random casual wear and save my KSOs for running.  Thanks for the info.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: