BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 21, 2014, 02:04:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: STARTING TO GET IRRITATED BY SO MANY SILLY QUESTIONS!!  (Read 2440 times)
bohicawill

bohicawill is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »

Last evening my wife and I went out to do our usual Saturday shopping and meal, we both had a taste for fast food and stopped by one of our favorite chains. Before we could even order our food the kid behind the counter said (looking at our Vibram shoes) WHAT ARE THOSE! Before I could shoot back with one of my witty comments my wife saved him by being her normal sweet self and explained the finer points of the VFF. Just what I wanted the Whole restaurant is now focused on our feet, I am really starting to get irritated but said very little and tried to get to let's order food now part of the visit.  Tongue Well the visit went better and it did turn out to be a pleasant evening after all. Cheesy Sunday I decided to visit one of the local Home Repair type of stores, I could not find the item I was looking for so I asked for help from one of the employees. Once again the person looked down at my feet and almost freaked out saying WHAT ARE THOSE! Well I needed help so I answered giving the standard information, and I thought it was over and I would get help finding my item. Cheesy We were walking to the area for my item in question was and I swear the guy stopped in mid stride and looked down at my feet and said are your toes really in those little pockets? All kinds of smart assed replys came to mind but I squashed them and said yes and we went on to find my item. I will end the story right there, so what I would like to know is are my fellow VFF wearing people getting the same silly questions? Or did I just have a bad weekend and forget my since of humor? Grin 
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »

RayKay

RayKay is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »

I do not mind getting asked questions. For many, they are still *novel* and so they are curious and do not know the answers - that is why they ask! And I like talking to people about them or talking to people in general.

It is no different than people asking about other things I may be wearing (ie jewellery, etc) and so on.

It is part of the hazard about wearing something a bit different from the *norm*. Soon enough people won't even ask about them anymore anyway - I see VFFs around a lot now.

VFF's: KSOx2, Treks, Bikila x2, Bikila LS, Jaya LR x3, Spyridon LS, Komodosports LS x3, Signa
Non-VFF's: Soft Star Ramblers, Merry Janes, Phoenix, Roos (with TLS), VivoBarefoot Vienna Boots, Off Road Hi's, Neo Trails, Jing Jings x3, Merrell Wonder Gloves x2, Konvines x2
seret

seret is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »

"are your toes really in those little pockets? "

I get that one a lot. A car actually slowed down as I was running and the driver asked me that. lolz. Keep up the good spirit!

Never give up. Never surrender.
-Galaxy Quest
bohicawill

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »

RAYKAY you must have the patience of a Saint! And let it be noted I have not snapped yet, I think I will chalk this up to a bad Karma weekend. Tongue I normally do not mind singing the virtues of VFF's and helping spread the word. Perhaps I just needed to VENT a little?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »

RayKay

RayKay is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »

Bohica,

Nah, definitely nothing "saintly" about it. I just do not mind being the centre of attention. Even if it is for something "weird" (maybe even especially for something "weird"). A Leo trait perhaps?

My husband is the same...he gets asked several times a day, every day, about his VFFs at work and likes to chat about them.

VFF's: KSOx2, Treks, Bikila x2, Bikila LS, Jaya LR x3, Spyridon LS, Komodosports LS x3, Signa
Non-VFF's: Soft Star Ramblers, Merry Janes, Phoenix, Roos (with TLS), VivoBarefoot Vienna Boots, Off Road Hi's, Neo Trails, Jing Jings x3, Merrell Wonder Gloves x2, Konvines x2
Fwear

Fwear is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:17:20 AM »

You have to be a saint in order to not "snap" at a fellow human being for asking you a question? 
kurtmal

kurtmal is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 07:53:18 AM »

You have to be a saint in order to not "snap" at a fellow human being for asking you a question? 

The manner in which the question is asked really makes the difference here.  Two weekends ago a fellow Air Force Reservist noticed my Sprints.  He noticed them and looked for a moment, then we went back to talking, then a few minutes later he said "Those are interesting, where did you get them?"  That's a much more polite way to bring up the subject than stopping a complete on the street and screaming "What in the heck are those goofy things on your feet!?" For some reason there are people who consider others who wear toe shoes to be less deserving of basic respect than the general population and bohica is right, there's no excuse for it.
coastie

coastie is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »

I'm out of my home area right now (Oregon) and in Missouri. Here in Kansas City no one seems to notice I brought two pairs with me both classics. One black which to a passerby looks just like a regular shoe and the grey/orange one which should raise eyebrows but no one seems to care. Maybe it's the neighborhood.

tak555

tak555 is starting to look familiar.tak555 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »

hopefully you just had a bad weekend, b/c vff's will always garner a lot of questions/attention (at least for the foreseeable future).

unfortunately you have to either get used to it, or find something less conspicuous like vivo evo's.

i stole this from member Ableobject... but it's cool:
....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
JonJon

JonJon is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:04:22 PM »

Usually I get "where did you get those? I've heard about them but never seen them"...

Dont want to thread jack but... Yesterday I was walking into my local Walmart and saw another VFF wearer.  He was a teenager with his mother, probably doing back to school or college shopping.  I happened to tap him and say nice shoes, hinting at the fact that I was wearing my Bikila's.  He responded in a grumpy manner saying "yea everyone has them now".  Then his mother pointed out that I had them on as well. It was the first time I met another VFF wearer that was that grumpy, especially seeing that I also had them on.
bohicawill

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »

Gee FWEAR! Maybe you are the SAINT! Tongue Or perhaps you should learn english comprehension that way you could read and understand that I did not snap at anyone for asking a question about my VFF's. I was complimenting RAYKAY about her easy going nature in dealing with a situation that I found to be a little irritating. Do we now have a better understanding of what was written?
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:47 AM »

Easy... I know we're all tired of handling comments from clueless non-VFFers, but let's not take it out on each other.  Wink

Any suggestions on how to cultivate the patience to deal with the irritation?  Any tricks that people have found to cope with the questions - and questioners?

(My own "trick" is to avoid eye contact and act like I'm not doing anything noteworthy - but that only works in places where people are reluctant to approach strangers without some sort of non-verbal "invitation."  That, and I tend to wear them during hours when few people are about, but that's more because I'm a bit of a hermit.)

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
iain

iain is starting to look familiar.iain is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 04:10:09 AM »

From what I hear, it seems the British public asks me more politely and discretely. I guess my trick for not being irritated is remembering how happy I am with this footwear and share the love  Grin 

"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." Woody Allen
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »

For me...its all in how I am asked.  I like talking to people when the person asks out of general curiosity and interest about the shoes. 

What I think bothers me is the people who as in a passive-agressive manner, intimating that there is something wrong with what I am doing and passing judgement in how they ask.  Someone at work made a comment yesterday -- so, do you have to get those things custom made to your feet?  I responded "no".  He said back as he was laughing, "oh, so you can just get them in the supermarket?"  I said, "i bought these in running store" (which is true, I bought the pair I had on at "The Fallen Arch" in Lake Placid NY.   Not sure what he meant by that, and I don't really care, but I surely didn't feel like continuing the conversation with him as I think he was not really interested in learning about the shoes, he was just looking to make comments. 

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
sailorwind

sailorwind is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 01:51:26 PM »

I just got my VFF's four days ago, haven't worn them any futher than to the lobby of my apartment building to check my mail as I break them in.  Yet I've still been cornered twice in the elevator already with people asking me about them (not to mention the gazillion questions I received when I took a picture of my feet in them and posted it as my FB status).  At first I figured I'd be prepared for the amount of questions because of my Kindle.  Whenever I read my Kindle in public I get stopped a minimum of once by someone with questions about the e-reader.  After I got these shoes, though, I realized that I'd just made myself doubly open- people will have to think hard about if they would rather ask me about my Kindle or my VFF's!  I'm sure I can handle it.  With my Kindle I only ever found it truly irritating when I was really absorbed in reading (as opposed to holding the device as I get on a train or having just taken it out of my bag) and even then I didn't get irritated unless I answered the question, started reading again, and then they stopped me to ask a second question.  I'm sure the same will be true of the VFF's, that I'll only really get irritated when I'm at the gym with my headphones on absorbed in my workout.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: