BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 02, 2014, 12:30:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: STEM/LEMing sole durability question  (Read 2350 times)
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »

I am showing some wear, almost dead center in the mid foot on my STEMs.  It is a little more noticeable on my left foot than my right.  I am wondering if this wear is typical, if I have poor form, or what exactly is at hand here.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:59:53 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »

dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »

well, they have to wear down somewhere, right? seems like a normal place to do so...

in that second picture we catch you `red-footed`, wat are those shoes in the back?!  Angry (severe tone)    Wink
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »

Those are steel toed work shoes, for the rare occasion when I have to venture out to the shop floor to get a question answered.  These pics were taken with my dumb phone while in my cubicle at work.  Shhhh.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:43:48 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

equiraptor

equiraptor is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »

I don't have any Stem/Lemings yet, but that's pretty much exactly where my Jayas are showing wear (the ones I've worn pretty much daily for a year and a few months). The worst of the wear is around digit 2/3, but the "ball", rather than on the toes themselves or further back. Your wear is maybe a bit further toward the 3rd and fourth digit, but that may be an effect of the wide toe box vs. individual toe pockets. I'd suspect that's just where and how these softer soles wear...

How long have you had them, and what kind of usage do they see?

Sprint Slate/Lichen W39 (first pair, too big), Jaya LR Almond/Copper W37, Bikila LS Black/Grey W37, SmartWool Classic Charcoal W39 (also roomy, but that's nice with the EcoStep sole), W38 KSO Trek Black
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »

I got them shortly after they came out.  I wore them very little at first.  I was in VFFS.  As soon as the weather turned too cold for VFFS, unfortunately it was too cold for STEMs as well.  I am in MN.  I began wearing them again about February, as winter was pretty mild.  I wear them daily.  I wear them to work and then my family and I usually go on an hour walk each night around our neighborhoods.  They see a lot of use I guess, but no more than my VFFS do in the summer and I do not see similar wear issues with those.  I lived in my Classics last summer and they held up fine.

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »

I will be honest. I am surprised at how quickly that wore down.  Considering you started up again back in February.  It seems like they have worn down rather quickly.  I find that kind of concerning. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Cubicle51

Cubicle51 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »

From what I can tell, mine are wearing in roughly the same place. I don't actually have any wear yet, but the sole is dirtiest there (oh yea I have a dirty sole  Cool ) I've only had mine for a couple of months and I have the same kind of usage, all day at work in a warehouse and occasional out of work usage.

can you be a bit more specific? i'm not sure when they came out and I'm wondering what type of life I'll get out of the sole

I'm still really happy with them (i'm ordering a black pair soon)

M41 KSO's (Black/Black), M42 Spyridon, M42 Classic, M43 Leming (Earth Brown x2) (Black x2), Bellville TR MiniMil (Blac) and plain ol' Nekkid pheet

Veneratio est meritus , nunquam donatus.
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »

I don't know if it is possible in USA, but you could ask shoemaker/cobbler to replace that part of sole with some new material, that is if the upper shoe is OK. It shouldn't be a problem for a good craftsman, to stick some rubber in the most used parts of your Lemings sole.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »

I will be honest. I am surprised at how quickly that wore down.  Considering you started up again back in February.  It seems like they have worn down rather quickly.  I find that kind of concerning. 

That is kind of what I thought too.  That is why I brought it up.  Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.  Certainly my weight should not have that much to do with it.  I am really short for my weight.  I do not drag my feet or anything.  Just seems to be a wearing a little thin really soon in my opinion.

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »

From what I can tell, mine are wearing in roughly the same place. I don't actually have any wear yet, but the sole is dirtiest there (oh yea I have a dirty sole  Cool ) I've only had mine for a couple of months and I have the same kind of usage, all day at work in a warehouse and occasional out of work usage.

can you be a bit more specific? i'm not sure when they came out and I'm wondering what type of life I'll get out of the sole

I guess I do not recollect exactly when they came out.  I wore them briefly for a few months, in rotation with my VFFs.  Then winter hit and I stopped wearing them.  I recently started up and am really seeing the soles thinning out, more so on the left foot than the right.  When they fall apart I will probably buy another pair.  They are comfortable and I really like them, just not sure why they are wearing so quick.

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »

From what I can tell, mine are wearing in roughly the same place. I don't actually have any wear yet, but the sole is dirtiest there (oh yea I have a dirty sole  Cool ) I've only had mine for a couple of months and I have the same kind of usage, all day at work in a warehouse and occasional out of work usage.

I guess I do not recollect exactly when they came out.  I wore them briefly for a few months, in rotation with my VFFs.  Then winter hit and I stopped wearing them.  I recently started up and am really seeing the soles thinning out, more so on the left foot than the right.  When they fall apart I will probably buy another pair.  They are comfortable and I really like them, just not sure why they are wearing so quick.

They came out in the beginning of September 2011 ("brick-and-mortor retailer release" -  their online sales did not start until Sept 23rd or so).  Right around my birthday! I got mine Sept 8th, and I believe you got yours VERY shortly after.

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
bigtruckguy3500

bigtruckguy3500 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »

Apparently they are air infused rubber soles, in order to make them lighter.  That could hinder their life.  I think I'm going to hold off a few weeks, reevaluate the Altra Samsons and the Merrell Road Gloves before making an order on these.

One thing I did with my KSOs was go to Home Depot and buy a roll of grip tape, like what's used on steps, and every couple of weeks a cut off a small piece and stick it on the part of my KSOs showing the most wear.  Been doing it for about 10 months, and my KSOs are going on almost 2 1/2 years next month.
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 03:01:56 AM »

I only had my Lemings once or twice on the streets, so there is only a dark mark of my feet under on the shoe sole.

Apparently they are air infused rubber soles, in order to make them lighter.  
Yeap, this type of rubber is usually used for in-house slippers. It is durable but only on smooth carpet-like surfaces.

One thing I did with my KSOs was go to Home Depot and buy a roll of grip tape, like what's used on steps, and every couple of weeks a cut off a small piece and stick it on the part of my KSOs showing the most wear.  Been doing it for about 10 months, and my KSOs are going on almost 2 1/2 years next month.

You can also try a used rubber tube (from a motorcycle, or even better from a big truck) and stick it with double-side tape or a proper elastic glue. Since rubber tube is thicker (about 1 to 4mm, depending on its type) it should last longer then a tape.

Although this is all kind of MacGyver style work, which should not happen with shoes worth about $90 after few months of usage.
In a world of nanotechnology added to nearly every consumer cosmetic product, it is a shame that rubber industry is so back behind with their innovative production. Come on, a durable, light, thin, elastic material for shoe sole can't be that hard to develop :-)  

On the bright site of this is that, maybe you should walk barefoot (without shoes) more often, then your Lemings sole will last for longer time :-D
Maybe this is "the hidden" Lemings marketing idea, to promote barefooting ;-)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:06:01 AM by klanger » Logged
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »

I only had my Lemings once or twice on the streets, so there is only a dark mark of my feet under on the shoe sole.

On the bright site of this is that, maybe you should walk barefoot (without shoes) more often, then your Lemings sole will last for longer time :-D
Maybe this is "the hidden" Lemings marketing idea, to promote barefooting ;-)

I cannot go barefoot at work, nor would I want to considering the lack of cleanliness of the carpeting in our office environment.  I am a tenderfoot, so I am not ready to transition to fully barefoot when it comes to our walks around the neighborhoods.  Even as a child I had issues with gravel underfoot.  I will be converting back to VFFs soon, and then the STEMs will not see much action.  I will only use them for the times when VFFs are not socially acceptable.  This should help them to last longer, but they are really wearing fast in my opinion, considering that they are not getting used for any aggressive activity.  I am not running in them or anything.

equiraptor

equiraptor is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »

I cannot go barefoot at work, nor would I want to considering the lack of cleanliness of the carpeting in our office environment.  I am a tenderfoot, so I am not ready to transition to fully barefoot when it comes to our walks around the neighborhoods.  Even as a child I had issues with gravel underfoot.  I will be converting back to VFFs soon, and then the STEMs will not see much action.  I will only use them for the times when VFFs are not socially acceptable.  This should help them to last longer, but they are really wearing fast in my opinion, considering that they are not getting used for any aggressive activity.  I am not running in them or anything.
My Jaya see similar use, though I have two pair. The pair that stays at work (so rarely sees the outdoor) is showing only very little wear. The pair that stays at home sees more outside time. We don't have an evening walk, like you, but one of our hobbies involves a lot of walking around outside on asphalt. My Jaya have worn through the copper color on the pod for the 3rd toe, and worn the surrounding area smooth. My Jaya are wearing faster than any of my other VFFs, even my Sprints. They're also the softest soles (the Sprints are thinner but less soft).

I guess I just see fast wear as a side effect of soft. I'm used to that kind of tradeoff - I put very soft tires on my car (for better grip), and they wear out rather quickly. Even if I avoid racing on a set of tires, they tend to last only about 10,000 to 15,000 miles. With racing, it's under 8,000 miles. That's just how it is, and I accept it for the grip. In my Jaya, I accept it for the flexibility and lightweight.

Sprint Slate/Lichen W39 (first pair, too big), Jaya LR Almond/Copper W37, Bikila LS Black/Grey W37, SmartWool Classic Charcoal W39 (also roomy, but that's nice with the EcoStep sole), W38 KSO Trek Black
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: