BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 23, 2014, 12:02:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Offical: I Got My SeeYa Thread.  (Read 6973 times)
MCvet

MCvet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »

i don't run much, but i got them too. ill wear them tomorrow or the next day.

Trek LS Brown 45... Speed black/white 46... Flow black 45... KSO REMIX 45... Bikila white/red 45... KSO trek brown 45... Komodo yellow 45... 1 Black and 1 Brown bormio's 45... Green Spyridon 45...  Yellow/Blk SeeYa 45
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »

Peter

Peter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »

Just got mine.  Damn.  They are not NEARLY as minimal as I was hoping for.  I think I was basically hoping for toe socks with a bit of rubber on the bottom. In fact, out of the box I don't see much difference between SeeYas and KSO's (other than aesthetics, of course).  I already ran today, but I put a SeeYa on one foot and one of my old brown no-mid-sole KSOs on the other just to walk around the house.  The KSO was less stiff and had noticeably more ground feel.  Of course ... that KSO is 3 years old.  That's where I'm holding out hope for the SeeYa.  If it wears in sufficiently, and quickly enough, I see potential for a good running shoe.  It's definitely better than the Bikila, anyway.  I'll follow up after I put some runs on the SeeYas.   
Rick

Rick is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »

I got mine!!!  I did not run in them this morning because we had a bunch of slush on our streets but I sure did like the feel of having them on. The mesh is a little lighter than the Bikilas and I REALLY like the look!

VibramSoul

VibramSoul is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »

My order from Borntorun.com shipped about 2 hours ago! So I will have my Seeya's in a couple of days. Everyone who is freaking out about the Seeya's being way thicker than they thought, this is how every model of VFF's is when you first get it. When I went to a retailer and felt some new KSO's they felt 2-3 times as stiff/thick as my old Kso's, hell I remember a new pair of Kso's feeling way thicker than mine even just a month or two after wearing mine. I bought a new pair of Komodo Sports after having my pair for a year, and my old Komodo's feel more like my KSO's and my new Komodo's feel more like my older Treks. Wear the shoes for a month or two and I'm sure they will become much, much, much more flexible.
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »

They do feel more beefy then the test pair I tried on awhile ago.  Keep in min I think the test pair was well worn.

I would say if they really wanted to make the lightest runner they would have designed the SeeYa the same way but with a KSO bottom instead of a Bikila.  So it would be the silicone/rubber and KSO sole.  That would have made them feel more minimal.

Right now the SeeYa feels like a Bikila that has been trimmed/stripped to match a KSO.  I think poeple were expecting it to be out of the box more flexible then a KSO and have better ground feel then a KSO and it does not.  I think poeple were just expecting more out of the box.

Personally speaking I feel like the Jaya is more minimal feeling then the SeeYa.  It weights a little less and the sole feels a little more flexible out of the box. 

I am sure with time the rubber will soften up.  I was just surprised at how stiff it was when I got it.  These are so stiff they hold their shape very well.  The pair I tried on a few months ago were floppy like a pair of Mocs. . 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Bukujutsu

Bukujutsu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 02:49:05 AM »

How are these for lateral movements?

For example, if you were running from law enforcement at full speed and made a sharp turn do you think one might fly off?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:45:37 AM by Bukujutsu » Logged
barefootnyc

barefootnyc is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »

Last week when I bought my SeeYas, I also bought a new pair of black KSOs as a more low key color alternative. After wearing the SeeYas for a week, playing basketball in them and everything else, I put on the KSOs and was shocked how much less comfortable they were. I know a lot has to do with individual foot shape and size, but for me, the SeeYas mold better to my feet, have more flexibility in the toes and forefoot area, and even feel better moving side to side. KSOs feel relatively sloppy in comparison.

I like the segmented rubber of the soles compared to the flatter slab-like sole of the KSOs, but I do not need the extra thickness and more pronounced tread profile. I've been wearing VFFs almost continuously for five years starting with a pair of Classics and have seen them go increasingly to thicker soles. Vibram, in my opinion, is operating under the belief that people want more tread, and perhaps they are right, that the average person is still afraid of getting too close to the ground.

I haven't tried other recent VFFs, but they're all too much shoe for me, so the SeeYas are the first new VFF I've been interested in. I like them a lot, but am perplexed that Vibram promotes them primarily as a runner's shoe with extremely sporty color schemes. It's actually a great all round shoe, and I'm really enjoying them.

VibramSoul

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 02:42:14 AM »

Last week when I bought my SeeYas, I also bought a new pair of black KSOs as a more low key color alternative. After wearing the SeeYas for a week, playing basketball in them and everything else, I put on the KSOs and was shocked how much less comfortable they were. I know a lot has to do with individual foot shape and size, but for me, the SeeYas mold better to my feet, have more flexibility in the toes and forefoot area, and even feel better moving side to side. KSOs feel relatively sloppy in comparison.

I like the segmented rubber of the soles compared to the flatter slab-like sole of the KSOs, but I do not need the extra thickness and more pronounced tread profile. I've been wearing VFFs almost continuously for five years starting with a pair of Classics and have seen them go increasingly to thicker soles. Vibram, in my opinion, is operating under the belief that people want more tread, and perhaps they are right, that the average person is still afraid of getting too close to the ground.

I haven't tried other recent VFFs, but they're all too much shoe for me, so the SeeYas are the first new VFF I've been interested in. I like them a lot, but am perplexed that Vibram promotes them primarily as a runner's shoe with extremely sporty color schemes. It's actually a great all round shoe, and I'm really enjoying them.

I'm glad to hear that they are  more comfortable than Kso's, especially since I consider my Kso's to be pretty darn comfortable. I am also happy to hear that you can play basketball in your Seeya's because I had heard mixed reviews about their ability to perform in things other than running/walking. I always run in my Kso's, and I workout at the gym in my old Komodo Sports that have been considerably worn down, and I even took out the insole to increase the ground feel. I will be really happy if my new Seeya's can perform  well both as a minimal gym working out shoe, and a light, thin running shoe. Mine are due to arrive tomorrow, If they are as great as I hope they are, I will end up buying another pair!

*One Question- How does the ground feel in the Seeya's compare to the brand new pair of Kso's you bought at the same time?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:46:17 AM by VibramSoul » Logged
Rick

Rick is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »

How are these for lateral movements?

For example, if you were running from law enforcement at full speed and made a sharp turn do you think one might fly off?

Haha!!  They won't fly off if you have them strapped down right.  I took mine on an 11 mile run Sunday and they feel just like Bikilas on my feet when running. Very nice. I am going to use them for my HM in New Orleans.
VibramSoul

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:35 PM »

I just got mine in the mail, and, I have to admit, I'm a little worried about the sizing/fit of them. I have never owned any of the models without some kind of heel strap, so the heel feels loose as expected, but what really worries me is that they don't feel very tight/secure even with injinji socks on. This problem is compounded by the fact that you can't tighten the strap because of where they placed it on the Seeya. The strap is about an inch lower on your foot than it is on Komodo Sports, Kso's, or Treks. When you crank the strap on a shoe with a Kso strap it makes it so the shoe almost hugs your upper foot/ankle, which doesn't bother you while moving your feet, but the Seeya strap is hugging the arch of your foot and it rubs badly if you tighten it at all, even after just a few second of running, so I can't imagine how badly it would rub after a 10 mile run... I just got off the phone with Borntorun customer service and they are going to send me a return label and switch them for a size 41. After talking to the Borntorun customer service today, I have to admit that I am very pleased with how helpful and understanding they have been. On a positive note about the shoe, they look very cool, and the ground feel is comparable to the KSO, but the grip is much better. I thought I would hate the "Dayglow" color, and I ended up really liking it. My suggestion is to wait until you can try them on before buying them.
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »

I am glad you got it and that Born to Run is so willing to work with you.  Sorry about the size.  They really do care and are trying to offer something different then most running stores.   I either wear a size 43 or 42 and I went with a size 42.  I am glad I did.  They fit pretty well.  They don't feel to bad with a pair of socks either.  I do with the strap was a little different.  I wish it was like a KSO strap that went around the heel.  I also wish they would have moved it down just a millimeter or two.  Where ti is right now sometimes it overlaps with the top lip of the shoe. 

barefootnyc

barefootnyc is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »

A few more observations in response to other comments:

The new KSOs and the SeeYas have similar ground feel, but different. The test for me is walking on the knobby yellow caution strip along the subway platforms in New York City. In Classics/Sprints/KSOs it hurts. It still hurts with the SeeYas. It doesn't matter how tough your feet are. But you can feel that the SeeYas have more of a profiled tread. It's not my favorite thing about the shoe, but I can live with it. I'm curious what other people think.

I have a high instep, so the strap is almost superfluous. I have not had the rubbing that some people have mentioned. They were comfortable right out of the box.

The heel is not anywhere near as secure as the KSOs, especially since there's no strap in the back. So, fit is probably more important. I have not worn socks with them, so don't know how that affects the heel fit. They are clearly not designed for sports like basketball, but I've played three times in them, and my heel has not slipped out. If someone stepped directly on the heel, it probably would.

I actually like the dayglo look, but I can see people looking down at my feet. Wish there was a more conservative alternative.

I love how easily they slip on and off--very little pushing and pulling to position the toes. I also love the overall lightness of the shoe.
BearFooted
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 12:57:46 AM »

There is a more conservative alternative.  They have a silver/dark blue color.  Check out:

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/vibram-fivefingers/seeya-mens.html

I often use the Knobby Safety Strips at cross walks to test the thickness of the shoes.  I remember one time I was not paying attention.  I ended up stepping wrong once in a Trek Sole on one of those things and I bruised myself.  If you land on those wrong they can hurt quite a bit.

schmolch

schmolch is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 11:57:05 AM »

Can the Seeya be worn without Socks?
With my Bikilas i only tried that once and got some very uncomfortable red spots from the seams.
Is the Seeya seamless inside?

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »

I wear ALL my models without sucks.  The only exception is if it is cold outside, Then I will wear a sock for extra warmth

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: