BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 23, 2014, 09:29:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Treksport , spyridon, or bikila???  (Read 9100 times)
limeoasis

limeoasis is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »

Hi everyone first post here! looking for some advice on my next pair of VFFs. I already have a pair of komodo sport which i use primarily for training in the gym. Im looking for a running vff now.

Im torn between the treksport, spyridon and bikila

I fear the treksport and spyridon maybe too much for flat pavement running whereas I fear the bikila would hinder traction on trails

I primarily run a combo of pavement/ trails, the trails i go through have paved, and unpaved. Im not looking for a road running shoe because im not a road runner. Any help on choosing between these would be appreciated! THANKS!
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »

I have a friend who runs exclusively on pavement and runs in the treksport.  he loves them so much that when he just tore a pair, he bought another even with other options out there.  Of the three models you are choosing between I would say the treksport is probably the middleground.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »

I have all three.  I use my Bikilas for road running and my Spyridons for combo road/trail/gravel/rocks.  My treksports aren't being used much since I got my Spyridons.

I definitely prefer the Spyridons over the Treksports.  The rock block is better in the Spyridons and I think the ground feel is better

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
limeoasis

limeoasis is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »

I have all three.  I use my Bikilas for road running and my Spyridons for combo road/trail/gravel/rocks.  My treksports aren't being used much since I got my Spyridons.

I definitely prefer the Spyridons over the Treksports.  The rock block is better in the Spyridons and I think the ground feel is better

Hey there , how did ur spyridons feel on asphalt /paved versus bikila?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »

PB Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »

Hey there , how did ur spyridons feel on asphalt /paved versus bikila?

I didn't find them uncomfortable on pavement. They're just a bit heavier and have a more substantial sole than the Bikilas.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
limeoasis

limeoasis is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »

oh i see i see, so if most of my trail runs are paved trails, i shud stick with the bikila? if theres unpaved trails , theyre usually jst dirt , nothing technical with large rocks or wtever
PB Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »

oh i see i see, so if most of my trail runs are paved trails, i shud stick with the bikila? if theres unpaved trails , theyre usually jst dirt , nothing technical with large rocks or wtever

If I didn't have to worry about rocks or gravel, I would probably go with the Bikila. 

limeoasis

limeoasis is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »

great, im assuming for my usage, ud still take the bikila over the treks? despite thef act that im not a road runner, but a trail runner with mostly paved roads and dirt
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:06:34 PM by limeoasis » Logged
Peter

Peter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »

The only model that I've had any sort of traction-problem with on dirt trails are my smooth-bottomed KSOs.  Even the minimal tread on Bikilas (or Seeyas, for that matter) is enough for traction on dirt trails, as long as they're dry and the hills aren't too steep.  Personally, I don't like the way the Treks feel on pavement. So if I'm running a mixed route, they're out.  I'm not a big Bikilia fan either.  I'll wear them to the gym sometimes, but for running I find them too padded and constricting.   
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »

I have both the Treksports and Bikilas, I run in town either on asphalt or hard park trail in my Bikilas and would never go for my Treksports doing that, too thick for no reason, I keep the Treksports for real hiking in the woods with rougher trails.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »

My experience echos what has been written so far. I did most of my hiking in Rocky Maintain National Park in Bikilas. The pod design of the sole on the Bikila provides more traction than you would think. I agree the Treksport is really best used on the most gnarly trails. I hardly reach for my Treksports. While I don't have a pair of Spyridon, I can see it obsoleting the Treksport. The sole on the Spyridon is much more flexible, more responsive, and a lot less clunky to run in. I feel like the Spyridon and Bikila can live in each other's worlds much more equally. The Treksport really isn't much a road shoe in my opinion. Lastly, if you decide on some Bikilas, get the LS model because the upper is cooler than the original one with the Velcro strap.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I personally think the regular Bikilas look cooler Jeepman  Wink. I am not into laces much for Vff's...

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »

I would go with the Spyridon LS.  If you are running on combination trail/pavement it will do the best.  Bikila LS can hurt on trails if you don't watch where you are going.  I don't mind running on pavement with the Spyridon LS.  I don't think I care about ground feel as much as some poeple though. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I personally think the regular Bikilas look cooler Jeepman  Wink. I am not into laces much for Vff's...

Cooler as in temperature wise. The originals can get pretty hot. The coconut fiber upper on the LS breathes much better so your foot stays cooler. Being a VFF owner almost precludes any worry about appearances.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
limeoasis

limeoasis is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Seems like its down to the spyridon vs the bikila! So hard to pick! The only issue i have with the spyridon is i feel they may have more than necessary grip on pavement, can anyone comment on that versus the bikila. I too enjoy the ground feel, but would like some protection without compromising too much of the former.

I would like the protection of the spyridon, but could any one comment on how the spyridon feels on pavement vs the bikila? I just wanna see if its significant enough to pickk the bikila based on this matter, if not i will probably get the spyridon. One thing i enjoyed about the komodo sport is running on pavement with them where i can feel the ground under me, so this is something id like to be incorporated in my next running specific pair of five fingers.

So its down to  protection vs ground feel on pavement, obviously spyridon wins hands down for protection , but as for ground feel on pavement? maybe someone else can chime in. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:11:04 PM by limeoasis » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: