BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 24, 2014, 11:30:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF's and Triathlons  (Read 3069 times)
run4fun@GW

run4fun@GW is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

Has anyone worn their VFF's for a Triathlon? I was wondering how hard are they to get on in the transistion? Ive been practicing getting them on in a hurry but anyone that knows Triathlons everything goes hay-wire in the transistion. Just wondering if anyone has tried it??

I am planning on doing this towards the end of the summer, I hope it goes well.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »

What do the rules tell about wearing shoes while swimming?

I believe that USAT says that you can't wear flippers or anything that aides in propulsion in your swimming.  I have done races in the past where people have worn swim booties - either to protect against cold water or against sharp objects (ie - rocks, zebra mussels, etc...) at the bottom. 

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
zapsurf13

zapsurf13 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »

I cannot see any referee saying that you could not wear VFF's since youre not barefoot...  I have a marathon coming up on the 16th of May and I have no idea what Im going to wear on my feet! Im starting to resent my Brooks cause they feel so damn clunky now, but I dont want to go that far in the KSO's being that Ive only been running in them for a month... Roll Eyes

Make friends with pain and you will never be alone.
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »

Again UK rules so USAT may be different

9 Swimming
9.1 Competitors shall use no aids other than a cap, goggles, nose
clip and costume, which may be a wetsuit.
9.2 A wetsuit may consist of up to three separate parts. The
wearing of wetsuit leggings only, gloves and/or socks is not
permitted. The maximum permitted thickness of material is
5mm. This maximum thickness also applies to any overlap
of material/s.

Now in all fairness if i knew someone was not going to be at the pointy end of the results I would advise them of the rules but allow them to continue however they would have to be warned of the risk of being DQ'd as for the wearing of VFF's that could be an interesting one to debate.
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »

hinogi

hinogi is a regular 'round here.hinogi is a regular 'round here.hinogi is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

Anyone tried if you are any faster with VFF on while swimming?
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 06:49:50 AM »

only classics when i have been in the indoor pool and they had to be fastened pretty tight to keep them on maybe it would work ok with kso's or sprints but havent tried that yet.
orlin03

orlin03 is starting to look familiar.orlin03 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »

The US rules are much kinder and allow much more room for personal choice. For the swim, footwear is not forbidden unless it is in the form of fins; I've often seen aqua socks worn to protect the foot in the water and in the transition area. On the run, nothing is noted as being illegal to wear (or not wear). I find it very strange that British rules forbid running barefoot, but there should still be no reason why a Vibram should be considered illegal.

Swim: 4.9 Illegal Equipment. Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins,
gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified.
Run: 6.3 Permitted and Illegal Equipment. Any participant who at any time wears or carries a headset, radio,
headphones, personal audio device, or any other item prohibited by Section 3.4(i) shall be subject to a time penalty.
A participant may carry a water bottle on the run portion of the course, provided that such container is not made of
glass. Glass containers are prohibited.

vfftriathlete

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »

The british rules are derived from the ITU rules not that i have seen the specific rules or other countries so don't know what has been changed. As a referee id run in vibrams and certainly would not penalise anyone who chose to run in them. There is usually room for interpretation of the rules.
orlin03

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 10:33:11 AM »

I just ordered these cycling sandels: https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_169948_-1
I ordered them extra big, and am taking a leap of faith: I'm hoping I can slide my Vibrams in them during the bike portion! My next race is a Duathlon on May 28th at Sea Isle, and if they work, I should have a very good time.

Adam C

Adam C is starting to look familiar.Adam C is starting to look familiar.

Free Weezy Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »

I just ordered these cycling sandels: https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_169948_-1
I ordered them extra big, and am taking a leap of faith: I'm hoping I can slide my Vibrams in them during the bike portion! My next race is a Duathlon on May 28th at Sea Isle, and if they work, I should have a very good time.

Orlin!  Those are going to look crazy!  I expect pictures of this!  Don't think I haven't thought about it.  I have also thought about installing clips on my FLOWS as I do not wear them that much and to be honest it was the worst purchase I have ever made.  Ok maybe not the worst purchase ever made but still they are sorta useless...  Anyone ever try to install clips onto their VFF's?

I LIKE TURTLES!
orlin03

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »

The Flows might actually be the best model to attempt this. You should be able to rip the seams on the inside that hold the footbed in place. Peel it back, cut two small slots in the sole, and install a carbon plate (or something that can flex but still be strong enough to suppot themounting tabs) along with the mounting tab. I think it could work!

I'll definitely post on how the sandals work; I should get them next week.

vfftriathlete

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »

Maybe vibrams with the pyro platforms would work too
Adam C

Adam C is starting to look familiar.Adam C is starting to look familiar.

Free Weezy Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »

I think I am going to take them to a local bike store and tell them your suggestions and see if they can come up with something that would work.  My only concern would be the placement of the carbon as it would hit the bottom of my foot as would the screws.  I hope they could come up with something crazy to make it work.  I currently have Look Carbon pedals on my roadie and of course they have to be the largest clip in pedal.  I do love them though.  I have tried other manufactures but I always go back to Look.

I LIKE TURTLES!
orlin03

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »

I think I am going to take them to a local bike store and tell them your suggestions and see if they can come up with something that would work.  My only concern would be the placement of the carbon as it would hit the bottom of my foot as would the screws.  I hope they could come up with something crazy to make it work.  I currently have Look Carbon pedals on my roadie and of course they have to be the largest clip in pedal.  I do love them though.  I have tried other manufactures but I always go back to Look.
I think that the plate could be put under the footbed, and the footbed put back in place.

I was thinking hard about the Pyro Platform, but they just looked like they'd be insecure with a Vibram. I do like the idea that they are so thin, though; if the sandal doesn't work, I may still go that route.

zapsurf13

zapsurf13 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »

Where are you from? Are you doing the Brigantine this year?

Make friends with pain and you will never be alone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: