BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 23, 2014, 04:22:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF at work  (Read 16387 times)
Peter

Peter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »

This is great!  Foot-freedom may be the next cause in line behind gay marriage! 

My kindergardener has been wearing his KSO Kids to school for about 3 weeks now.  In that time he's had 2 field trips.  For both field trips, his teacher (who's a confessed FF wearer... at the gym only) has asked that he wear "normal shoes" for the field trip.  I haven't fought it because ... who needs it? Two out of 15 days?  Whatever. I'm sure he would had more fun at both field trips in his VFFs though. 
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »

@ Barefootin

Check out my post here....  http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/birthdayshoes-com-general-discussion/love-my-kso's-but-what-about-orthotics-in-my-work-boots/msg42890/#msg42890  they may allow these with "Trek's, NB Trails or Merrell's in them.  It can't hurt to ask.
These also have a good oil resistance.  I was on an epoxy painted concrete floor where gear pack replacements were being done the other week and I was the only one not slipping around.  It actually opened up the door for their safety rep to look into them.

I had no idea they had anything out like that. There was someone at work who dropped a 20L solvent can on their foot (about 10-15 years ago), and they adopted this policy for the lab.  Thanks for sharing that topic, I'm not sure I would have even looked it up!

I might bring the topic and product up to one of the OHS committee members to see if it is ok first. Hmm, I'm intrigued. I have this old pair of Doc Marten's and they are like having bricks on my feet.

Thanks for the info!!!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »

I occassionally teach in them (university courses) - just recently rumors have reached me that I am being referred to as "that lady with those funny toe shoes". No problems on the social side otherwise - science schools are probably liberal almost everywhere (at least in Europe/US); moreover, I do realize that VFFS are not suitable for all situations, so I do not wear them to exams or such.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that I caught myself wondering if black Treks would fit the definition of "closed black footwear" required under the gown (though I am not going to find out, as my Treks are purple).
VFF~Lover

VFF~Lover is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »

UGGH! today i went to school in my gray and red treksports because i have blisters on the bottom of my forefoot where i was running completely barefoot and i sat in the principals office for 45 minutes having the nurse look at my feet and what not.

My principal in all her wisdom stated that they were water shoes and were not allowed in the dress code. I then showed her my speeds i have on the way and she said under now circumstances may i be allowed to wear anything with toes.

She then proceeded to tell me that i could only wear them for today and only today simply because of the blisters and told me to go and buy some 25 dollar pairs of tennis shoes to wear to school tomorrow.

Normally i wear boots to school and the only thing i have are boots and my vibrams.. i wore them because they were the only things i could wear, seeing as my foot is swole up and covered in gauze and the stretchy material of my treks allows me to wear the gauze and have them swollen (i couldn't even get my boots on this morning with socks and gauze and swelling because they were far to tight.)

^^^^^^^^^^ just rage disregard if u do so please.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »

barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »

First of all, OUCH.....  Waaaayyyyy too much to soon......   After they heal up it will be a slow road back.  It takes a while to build up the pads and once worn away even longer to get them back...  I wore mine down a little in the begining, not really from distance but poor form. I know it feels good, well did feel good, but it takes time to develop your form, muscles, and pads so take it slow.....  Remember, those things are use to being in those soft cushy coffins you MUST  Roll Eyes wear everyday.....  If you are locked into tennis shoes and Chuck Taylors fit the code, you could always get the slims and take the insoles out.   

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
BOXofQUALITYYY

BOXofQUALITYYY is a new face.

Barefoot Oasis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »

I work in a hospital and I feel the same way! I want to wear them, but HR says no. I assume this is because they aren't professional looking.

I just started a thread on this to see if anyone else thought you'd think differently of a healthcare professional just because of shoes.

In short, you're my hero.

Savvy?
Nugget

Nugget is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »

I wear my Treks to work every day, but I'm the boss so nobody can stop me.  I did warn everyone that if they made fun of my "funny shoes" I'd amend the dress code in the employee handbook to make them mandatory.  Smiley

Mostly everyone's just content to snicker at them, though.

Find me on RunKeeper - I own eight pairs of VFF in seven different styles - I'm hooked
delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »

I wear my Treks to work every day, but I'm the boss so nobody can stop me.  I did warn everyone that if they made fun of my "funny shoes" I'd amend the dress code in the employee handbook to make them mandatory.  Smiley

Mostly everyone's just content to snicker at them, though.

That would be awesome. I wish I could wear mine to work. Maybe one day when I am a civilian. Tongue

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
sweetbaboo

sweetbaboo is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 10:18:06 PM »

I wear my VFFs to school , im studying to be an RVT at a local community college, they have a very strict dress code. "closed toe sports shoes", ive been wearing them for a week now and so far no one has hassled me about them. When we start working with animals in the classroom, ill be less apt to wear them cause i dont want dog urine and feces all over them, a fact of life working in the vet field, thats the only reason i havent pushed to wear them at work, maybe when they make waterproof KSOs
Shukar

Shukar is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »

I bought a pair of Mocs to wear to work but was told that they didn't fit the polishable requirement at my place of work. Traded the shoes in for a pair of Jayas for my wife but I'm still trying to find something I can wear to work. Anybody got any suggestions? Need to be black, closed toed, and "polishable" which apparently includes being a single continuous toe-cap.
ugodrainville

ugodrainville is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »

You might try the Merrell Tough Gloves...although I cannot speak to their "polishability"
n.vodden

n.vodden is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »

My workplace has no dress code at all (office based for a large insurance company) and I wear VFF's pretty much exclusively. I'm well known through our office for my weird footwear and its become part of my identity more or less! In fact, I had an interview for an internal position a little while ago and came in wearing a full suit and my polished smart dress shoes (urghh) and the reaction from pretty much everyone was ignoring the suit and saying 'Holy cr*p, he's got normal shoes on?!'

I've successfully converted 2 people in the office to VFF's and wear my Huaraches to work fairly often as well if the weather is nice. Had a funny experience in work a while ago in one of the lifts. Crowded lift full of people, and a girl from our customer services department pipes up 'whoa, check out those weird things on his feet!' to her friend, and then 'what the hell are they??'. With that, the company CEO/MD who was in the lift turns around and goes 'Cool, Vibram Five Fingers! My son practically lives in those things, he loves them!'
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:10:51 PM by n.vodden » Logged

Shukar

Shukar is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »

The Tough Glove may be a good option. I'd been looking at probably getting some Terraplana's as my main criteria past what I listed before are that I need something comfortable for standing in for long parts of the day, and ideally something that looks at least sort of like dress shoes. That said, those Tough Gloves might work.
CyberDraco

CyberDraco is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:21 PM »

I work at an after school program at elementary schools. Most kids normally say cool shoes...hey! look at those!

Sadly, one of my site supervisors had to lie about being told from our zone supervisor that I couldn't wear them anymore...odd since he never says anything directly to me and even touched my bikilias the first time he saw them.

I get you don't like them, but no one is forcing you to where them...the myth of what a 'shoe' is must come to light!
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 06:28:54 AM »

FINALLY!! I just happened to spot on the Internet a release from CSA that says they have recently approved steel toe overshoes. Up until about 3 weeks ago, CSA would only approve full shoes or boots. I wanted to get a pair of OSHA toes a number of months back, but my workplace states that footwear must be CSA approved. I asked, and even if it's ANSI certified it won't do, because it's a different country.

Anyways within 5 minutes of reading that, I ordered a pair from a manufacturer who sells the CSA version of OSHA toes, and will be able to wear my treks to work. I'm excited about that, as every pair of CSA approved shoes I've ever tried on are terribly uncomfortable. I recently bought another pair of work shoes, and they are only a slight improvement from my old doc marten industrial foot coffins. My feet have gotten wider, and my toes are starting to spread some, but both the docs and the sneaker style work shoes both ram my pinky toe back in towards the other toes. The sad part is they were the most comfortable out of 10 pairs I tried on at the store. I ended going with the least awful pair.

Next step is I may get a black pair of trek LS just for work. I can't wait to have comfortable footwear at work, it'll be awesome!!!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: