BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 19, 2014, 11:09:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what to do with retired VFFs  (Read 951 times)
pbeach

pbeach is a new face.

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »

Hey all,

So I'm retiring TWO pairs of bikilas that have been fantastic running buddies (replacing them with a brand-new pair of bikilas - the bespotted red pair!  Grin).  Like many of you, I've worn these shoes SO much that I feel a bit attached.  I thought I'd troll for ideas on how to retire them "with honor," rather than simply pitching them in the rubbish bin.

I've searched the web/forums for ideas and I'll I've found is using them for yard work, which doesn't really fit for myself.

Thoughts?

Classics, bikilas (regular and LS), komodos, and flows - people say I have a problem
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

So if I am understanding you correctly, you are not looking for activities to do while using them, but rather a way to utilize them for something other than footwear.  If that is correct, how about using them as a pair of book ends. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
pbeach

pbeach is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

exactly - something other than footwear

I had seen some other people questioning whether or not they could be recycled somehow, since much of their makeup is rubber.

I just might consider the idea, Mr. Leigh.  Maybe I'll mount my original pair that has the most miles on them on my wall.  Smiley

Classics, bikilas (regular and LS), komodos, and flows - people say I have a problem
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

Maybe I'll mount my original pair that has the most miles on them on my wall.  Smiley

You could have them bronzed, LOL.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

Lyonel

Lyonel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »

Although its footwear, turn them in to huaraches.

Bikila - Bikila LS (2x) - Bormio - Classic (2x) - Komodosport - Komodosport LS - KSO Trek (retired) - KSO Treksport - Trek LS (2x) - Seeya - Sorrento - Speed - Spyridon LS - KSO Remix - ElX

Adipure Lace Trainer-Original Luna ATS laces-LEMS Boulder Boot
vwater69

vwater69 is a new face.

walking through dandelions and horsesh*t!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »

Drill some holes in the soles, and make them into little herb/flower pots!  Grin

I don't want to be on my deathbed, and have regrets of those things I 'didn't do'.
SgtPepper64

SgtPepper64 is a new face.

Toe Shoes or No Shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

Sure, maybe if you want feet-flavored basil!  Shocked Grin

Toe Shoes or No Shoes!  || "Always polish your shoes." - Spam bot
1x Sprint (Blk) | 1x SeeYa (Ylw\Blk) | 2x Bikila (Grey\Blue; LtGrey\Red) | 1x Trek LS (Brown)
Rex_Kwon_Do

Rex_Kwon_Do is a new face.

I work for The Donald

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »

You could make a pair of fleet-footed scarecrows
or
place them in odd parts of your home to freak out house guests
or
donate them to a dog kennel as chew toys

I'm a fan of bronzing them and mounting them with a plaque that indicates the mileage, but I have no idea how much that would cost.

My VFF sphere of influence: Walker, Will, Rogers, Jacob, Taylor, Graham, Hunt, Jamison, Lorae, Lee, Erik, Eric, Anna, TJ, Jesse
paulr

paulr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »

or you could just throw them in the bin - they are just old, useless shoes ffs  Wink

What next ? getting sentimental about a particular sheet of bogroll ?
kayb

kayb is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »

You could get a shadow box, mount them to the shadow box and put like pictures of yourself in it as an artsy wall hanging
Thats what I'm gonna do with mine eventually

skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »

I especially like the flower pot suggestion...maybe some herbs, though I don't know if you'd actually want to eat anything grown in a funky pair of VFFs. Tongue  Personally, I would suggest having some sort of goodbye ceremony then giving them to Goodwill.  Unless they're to the point of being truly unwearable, I bet someone else can probably get a little more life out of them, and that way you know they're living on. Smiley
Slolane

Slolane is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »

Put em on the floor behind some long curtains along with some stuffed jeans/pants so it looks like someone is behind em. Smiley

Vibram FiveFingers: Bikila LS (black/green), Speed (blue), Speed (black), Trek LS (brown), Trek LS (black), Spyridon (orange)
Vivobarefoot: Ra (black)
DrBig74

DrBig74 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 11:05:24 PM »

Hey all,

So I'm retiring TWO pairs of bikilas that have been fantastic running buddies (replacing them with a brand-new pair of bikilas - the bespotted red pair!  Grin).  Like many of you, I've worn these shoes SO much that I feel a bit attached.  I thought I'd troll for ideas on how to retire them "with honor," rather than simply pitching them in the rubbish bin.

I've searched the web/forums for ideas and I'll I've found is using them for yard work, which doesn't really fit for myself.

Thoughts?

It's time for an ever-evolving art project!  Attach them in an artistic way, and as you retire pairs in the future, and them to this wall of fame, or mountain of lost buddies art project!  Who knows, if it gets large enough, you might have a vff tourist spot right in your house!

Be well!

DrBig74
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 04:27:56 AM »

Personally, I would suggest having some sort of goodbye ceremony then giving them to Goodwill.
No Viking burial?  Wink

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
skye97

skye97 is starting to look familiar.skye97 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »

Personally, I would suggest having some sort of goodbye ceremony then giving them to Goodwill.
No Viking burial?  Wink

I think the rubber would probably release too many toxic fumes, and they definitely wouldn't be wearable afterwards!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: