BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 01, 2014, 03:48:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah VFFs are funky...but sometimes not in the good way  (Read 84983 times)
geoschiss

geoschiss is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »

If they're really stinky, put some Arm&Hammer pet deodorizer w/OxyClean in your VFFs  and let it set over night.  Next day, throw your VFFs in the wash with the baking soda still in there, add 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.   Hang dry.

Works for me
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »

risrob30

risrob30 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 11, 2010, 10:02:36 PM »

I believe in buying only genuine VFF's, but I know that some people buy the knockoffs.  Is anyone that's complaining of the funk wearing the knockoffs?  I'm just wondering if maybe they have a worse smell than the real deal. 
riceburner

riceburner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2010, 02:01:16 AM »

Hey so I am gonna try this because it seems like an easy way to knock two things out at one time. I read that someone took them in the shower with them and just cleaned them then. It seems like a good idea but i was wondering if anyone thinks that it is safe to use body wash on them? (Dove for men or some crap) just standard hair and body wash. Wondering if I could use that or if I should just use detergent like if i put em in the wash? BTW: I would be doing this with KSO Grey.

Thanks!

ARCH SUPPORT IS FOR THE WEAK
TomZ

TomZ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »

Smiley

From the FWIW department...

Washed all four pairs (3x KSOs, 1x Flows) in the washing machine today. Delicate cycle, cold water, slow spin, powder detergent.

Look like they did out of the box.

« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »

greentoe

greentoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 14, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »

I do the same thing, after a sweaty workout I shower with my VFF. I have an old toothbrush and use the excess shampoo or soap that falls from my hair to clean them. I hang dry them, and once dry, i lightly spray the inside with lysol because it kills the bacteria that causes odor, athletes foot, and toenail fungus. 

If you wanna go crazy, there is this device, I own one, called SteriShoe that cost about $120.  Its basically a UV light bulb attached to a plastic insert that goes in the shoe. u plug it in, and leave it in the shoes for 30 or 40 minutes, and the UV light kills all bacteria that causes fungus and odor. It works pretty good.  But mild soap water and a toothbrush also work well as long as your dilligent.
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:37 AM »

As for the body wash idea a couple of posts ago: no reasons to worry, only it may lead to weird odor effects if a new wave of funk starts before all the body wash perfume evaporated. Something a bit more harsh and less perfumed (standard laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid) may be more efficient.
riceburner

riceburner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 15, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »

As for the body wash idea a couple of posts ago: no reasons to worry, only it may lead to weird odor effects if a new wave of funk starts before all the body wash perfume evaporated. Something a bit more harsh and less perfumed (standard laundry detergent or dishwashing liquid) may be more efficient.

I did it but with laundry detergent. It works perfectly.

ARCH SUPPORT IS FOR THE WEAK
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2010, 09:12:34 AM »

I hope this is not going to be taken as advertising, as I have no vested financial interests in this product, but I empirically found out that the Scholl Odour Control shoe spray works wonders. I quickly learned to use it whenever I can smell the first signs of funk, and I could thus quite substantially decrease the frequency of washing.
desertVFFrunner

desertVFFrunner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2010, 09:43:24 PM »

Is there a product out there that will renew the aegismicrobeshield protection? I've looked around and it seems that aegismicrobeshield is an industrial applied only product.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:32:03 PM by desertVFFrunner » Logged

Treksport Fan!
me_migs

me_migs is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 31, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »

My VFFs used to get a bit funky. Now when I take them off I slip them onto a shoe dryer and that keeps them fresh for a week of daily wear.  I tend to get them quite dirty as I work in them, so I wash them once a week in the shower.  I just use shampoo to clean them.  To dry them I simply place them on the shoe dryer.  Also, I use a homemade foot spray.  The recipe is simple and it works great.  I have a 4oz spray bottle that I add a mix of 4oz vodka, 40 drops tea tree oil, 32 drops mint oil, and top off with water.
Feet-fi-fo-fum

Feet-fi-fo-fum is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 31, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »

Also, I use a homemade foot spray.  The recipe is simple and it works great.  I have a 4oz spray bottle that I add a mix of 4oz vodka, 40 drops tea tree oil, 32 drops mint oil, and top off with water.
You beat me to it!  I was just about to post that I cured the funk with vodka.  A drop of orange oil also helped considerably.  Cheesy
me_migs

me_migs is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 01, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »

Orange oil...I'm almost out of my mix so I'll try it in the next batch, thanks!
BonaDea

BonaDea is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread I found it very helpful. I'd like to share what I've come up with for my Trek Sports and Sprints.

If the shoes are funk free applying tea tree oil to my feet prior to wearing them is keeps them funk free.  I haven't yet found a time line and I'm sure it is a case of ymmv (your mileage may vary). I preemptively washed mine prior to a trip just to be on the safe side but that was 10 days ago. Prior to the tt applications I was having to wash them with every wearing or could funkily stretch it to 2 times if I had to.

To start with funk free I did not find that the Efferdent tabs alone to be sufficient. The tabs I had on hand were old and had Listerine (I keep them around for cleaning flower vases). 

I tend to go overboard on cleaning but what I found that worked for me was baking soda scrub with a tooth brush paying careful attention to those toe sockets.  Then the Efferdent (remember I have it on hand). Lastly, I threw them in the machine washer on cold with my normal detergent. Then air dry.

I can't say thank you enough to all who have weighed in on this subject it gave me lots of ideas to choose from.

Thank you.

2/22 Update. Getting my Sprints  wet in the rain killed the funk free fiesta. The TrekSports were kept out of the rain and remain funk free.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:01:26 PM by BonaDea » Logged
lp8256

lp8256 is a new face.

RLTW!

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2011, 01:55:35 AM »

Why in the world would you want to get rid of the funk smell?
I have found that in my little shipping container, that I live in here in Afghanistan, the odor of my VFFs over-powers the pleasant odor of the sewage pond here on Kandahar Airfield.
Their aromatic perfumery reminds me of humid Ft Bragg where the stench of my VFFs cause my wife to overload and banish them to the back porch!
My little piece of home that I hold dear.
Shame on all of you to try and take away that uniqueness of your beloved VFFs...........

Just kidding, I just take showers in mine and rinse them out as best I can....... They are always stinky...... Grin

RLTW!
Striped Toad

Striped Toad is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 19, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »

I started using Odor Eaters in my Speeds, seems to be working, at least it might prolong times during washes.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: