BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 19, 2014, 12:21:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah VFFs are funky...but sometimes not in the good way  (Read 82501 times)
sicoraf87

sicoraf87 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2011, 02:41:39 AM »

Usually what I do is wash my feet before and after wearing VFF and use some foot/shoe spray in the kso's and they smell great.

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2011, 02:41:39 AM »

silver179951

silver179951 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »

While I have no problem washing my VFF's often, this summer I will be biking across the country and I will often not have the opportunity to spend alot of time cleaning them. Has anyone had any good experience with any sprays that get rid of the smell but do not require the VFF's to be washed? Throughout the trip, I plan on cleaning them whenever it's possible, but I'm worried about the times I won't have time to clean them.
gryllus

gryllus is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »

Oddly, I suspect that the main source of stink in my Sprints is not that much my feet as the environment. Or, more specifically, my habit to run and walk in grass/dust that is being constantly saturated wit dog piss and poo (which, sadly, is about everywhere in the nearby park where I usually go running).
On saturday I got caught in a rain ... wearing my dirty, dusty but virtually stink-free Sprints (it did not rain properly for a couple of weeks here, hence the dust). Taking off the soaked Sprints, I noticed ... an odor. As if dried-and-rehydrated dog manure odor. By next day, it already forced me to wash immediately in order to stop development of full-blown stink. I can now only hope that they will dry before growing mildew, since it is still rainy and a bit cold...
mmmpork

mmmpork is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2011, 02:13:46 AM »

Has anyone tried coconut oil? I've been using it as a natural deodorant for some time with success. I've been rubbing my feet with it before putting them in my VFFs so I guess I'll find out if it helps with the smell issues folks are talking about here. I use the Nutiva Extra Virgin Cold Pressed stuff.
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2011, 02:13:46 AM »

delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »

I just use the odor eaters spray on them before use and shortly after use, it seems to work very well. If I dont do them with in a couple of days my SW classics will have a nice ripeness to them and then once the wife complains... I know to wash them.

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
walkingMike

walkingMike is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »

I don't have any problems because of the smell of my VFF's: Like others here I wash my feed everytime before and after wearing the VFF's and the washing mashine doesn't damage them at all (at least my VFF's never complained Wink)
runnerbean

runnerbean is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 06, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »

i bought the odor eater sport  spray and it actually smells worse than my VFFs did Shocked

think i'll stick to the washing machine!!
HatikTen

HatikTen is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »

I haven't had too much problem with smells from my KSOs or new Komodos, luckily.  When I bought the KSOs from Singapore, I did wear them a bit in the humidity, and even on the longest wear around the Universal Studios theme park I don't find them too bad (even after getting them soaked) but I do mainly wear toe socks with them now.

I did see a product over in Asia that I haven't noticed much anywhere else called Bamboo Charcoal shoe deodorizers.  They fairly cheap for a pair (under USD$4), but I didn't try them, sort of like this thing at amazon http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Charcoal-Insoles-Sport-Shoes/dp/B00193UMKU/  only cheaper and without the fancy packaging. 

Not sure if they work, but they claimed to be a natural deodorizer and able to absorb moisture and smells from the shoe.  And apparently when they stop working, put them out in the hot sun to "reactivate".

I'm over that side of the world later this year, so might pick up some and test them out.
burdger

burdger is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »

So, my KSO's were getting quite funktastic.  I decided it was time to try out a few things in this thread.  I went to Walgreens and picked up a few different things that were mentioned in this thread, including Lysol, Oxiclean, Efferdent tabs, and a cheap electric toothbrush Cheesy

I started out by making a nice Oxiclean and water mixture and scrubbing the insides of them very well.  I then soaked my KSO's in a tub of hot water and Oxiclean.  When I rinsed them out, I noticed the water coming out of them was still a gross brown/grey color, so I soaked them again.  Finally I washed them in my HE washer with some oxiclean prewash.  Finally I threw them in the drier for a little air drying (no heat) then sprayed them down with some Lysol.  Yeah, that's a lot of work, but I'm hoping I've fully removed all of the funk from the insides of my shoes.  Now I'll be sure to treat my feet with a good cleaning and some tea tree oil before putting them on.  They smell amazing, even better than new right now, so we'll see how long this lasts.  I don't plan to do the whole scrubbing regime all that often.  I'm hoping keeping my feet clean and washing them regularly in the washer will do it most of the time.

VFF's Owned:  Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, Castle Rock/Navy/Grey KomodoSport LS
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2011, 09:18:01 PM »

I have had mine for about a month now and have not noticed any funk at all.  I have never really struggled with smelly or sweaty feet.  But I have been proactive just to be safe.  If I am just lounging around in my KSO's I don't do anything.  If I am going to out and about (or now that I am starting some workouts again) I use the antibacterial hand sanitizer and rub my feet down with it and then I use a spray deodorant/antiperspirant.  I also keep some of those deodorizer balls (from walmart) in them when I am not wearing them.  I have worn them plenty and still no stink.  Hopefully this prevention goes a long way.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:26:32 AM by JustinB » Logged

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Abysdad

Abysdad is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »

I've had my Komodosports for about 30 days and there is no funk yet. My New Balance Minimus on the other hand, are stinky and need washed. They are 60 days old and worn quite a bit.
burdger

burdger is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »

So far, I still have no funk in my KSO's.  I've been making sure to clean my feet extra well before I put them on, and after I take them off, I spray them down, inside and out with some Lysol.  This seems to keep them smelling very nice Cheesy

VFF's Owned:  Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, Castle Rock/Navy/Grey KomodoSport LS
Ryno

Ryno is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 01, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »

I take mine into the shower with me and give them a wash also. Then air dry them on a fan while I have breakfast.

Ever seen Better Off Dead... the main character wears his socks in the shower. But I take mine off.
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:41 PM »

So here's my anti funk kit.  I wear my VFF's constantly and currently doing P90X in them.  Very sweaty but still no stank.

If I'm lounging, I use nothing.  Anytime I put them on to go out, I use the Arrid anti-perspirant/deodorant.  If it is right after a shower just the spray, if now shower I rub with the anti bacterial lotion as well.  After a work out, they get a quick spray of the lysol and the tinactin, then the deodorizer ball goes in there along with the silicon dessicant packet. 

So far, no stank.  In fact they still feel as fresh as they did when I first took them out of the box.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »

So, my KSO's were getting quite funktastic.  I decided it was time to try out a few things in this thread.  I went to Walgreens and picked up a few different things that were mentioned in this thread, including Lysol, Oxiclean, Efferdent tabs, and a cheap electric toothbrush Cheesy

lolol that group of products must have gotten some funny looks from the cashier!  Tongue

So here's my anti funk kit.  I wear my VFF's constantly and currently doing P90X in them.  Very sweaty but still no stank.

If I'm lounging, I use nothing.  Anytime I put them on to go out, I use the Arrid anti-perspirant/deodorant.  If it is right after a shower just the spray, if now shower I rub with the anti bacterial lotion as well.  After a work out, they get a quick spray of the lysol and the tinactin, then the deodorizer ball goes in there along with the silicon dessicant packet. 

So far, no stank.  In fact they still feel as fresh as they did when I first took them out of the box.

Where did you get the desiccant packets?

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: