BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 25, 2014, 12:48:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah VFFs are funky...but sometimes not in the good way  (Read 87378 times)
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »

So here's my anti funk kit.  I wear my VFF's constantly and currently doing P90X in them.  Very sweaty but still no stank.

If I'm lounging, I use nothing.  Anytime I put them on to go out, I use the Arrid anti-perspirant/deodorant.  If it is right after a shower just the spray, if now shower I rub with the anti bacterial lotion as well.  After a work out, they get a quick spray of the lysol and the tinactin, then the deodorizer ball goes in there along with the silicon dessicant packet. 

So far, no stank.  In fact they still feel as fresh as they did when I first took them out of the box.

How can you tolerate the Vanilla scented Lysol?  I bought that and my wife and I both think it stinks like old man cologne.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »

So here's my anti funk kit.  I wear my VFF's constantly and currently doing P90X in them.  Very sweaty but still no stank.

If I'm lounging, I use nothing.  Anytime I put them on to go out, I use the Arrid anti-perspirant/deodorant.  If it is right after a shower just the spray, if now shower I rub with the anti bacterial lotion as well.  After a work out, they get a quick spray of the lysol and the tinactin, then the deodorizer ball goes in there along with the silicon dessicant packet. 

So far, no stank.  In fact they still feel as fresh as they did when I first took them out of the box.

How can you tolerate the Vanilla scented Lysol?  I bought that and my wife and I both think it stinks like old man cologne.

haha it is such a small amount being put in the shoe that you barely smell it, especially after it is covered with tinactin and then a shoe deodorizer.  I didn't buy it otherwise I would have just gotten the regular or nonscented.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Litening

Litening is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 24, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »

So I read on some other website that people were recommending Efferdent (denture cleaners). I soaked my super stinky shoes in with the efferdent and warm water. The next day, just rinsed them out and they smelt so much better. They smell like laundry detergent now, but no longer like funky foot sweat.

I gotta admit, I was skeptical. But go to walgreens or CVS and pick up a box of efferdent and drop your shoes in them. MAGIC!

....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......\..(.....(....)....
........\_)....)../.....
...............(_/.......
Yes ... I stole this too
pankerbelle

pankerbelle is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 27, 2011, 11:20:10 AM »

Howdy to all my fellow seekers of a non stinky VFF lol
I have been stalking and reading these boards for several months and I finally registered today because I think I may actually have something worthwhile to contribute. It has prolly already been mentioned about scrubbing the inside footbed and down in the toe pockets to get the built up funky stuff off. I find that if I scrub mine with an old toothbrush before washing it makes a huge difference, totally worth the extra few minutes. I also use a product called spot shot, it is actually a carpet cleaner but it will remove stains and oders from anything, I even used to spot clean my daughters prom dress last spring. I also saw where someone asked about how hot you could get them during cleaning without actually melting them .... Well I use my front loading washers sanitize cycle to wash mine with no problems. I can tell you that the washer heats the water on that cycle to hotter than scalding almost boiling, if you stop it mid cycle you must let whatever is in there cool before you touch !
So far it has not shrunk or damaged my little Jayas in any way  and I wash that pair at least once a week. I have smart wool classics and performa janes but they don't get as much wear so I don't really do any extreme cleaning on them. Another thing that I think makes a difference is the silver ion thingie in my washer that is supposedly some kinda super sanitizing oder killing germ busting aparatus lol I really don't know that much about how it works.  I wear my Jayas about 15 hours a day nearly everyday since I got them about 6 months ago and have never really had an unbearable smell, I have never had any stinky smell from my other pairs, but as I said before they don't get as much abuse.

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried using one of those enzyme cleaners like natures miracle, typically used for pet oders. It seems as if that concept would work on some of the tougher smells.
That's my 2cents lol
Melissa
« Reply #303 on: October 27, 2011, 11:20:10 AM »

PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 27, 2011, 12:00:29 PM »

Has anyone tried sticking dryer sheets in your VFF's?  My wife heard about using dryer sheets in shoes to combat shoe odor, so I've started keeping a dryer sheet in each of my Komodosport LS's when they're sitting on the shelf.  Now I haven't been wearing them every day since I bought them 2 weeks ago, but I only just started storing them with dryer sheets this past Sunday and they seem to be smelling pretty fresh.  Tongue

Last Sunday afternoon I went out for a 3 mile walk and was going to start out barefoot, but decided just before starting to go with my VFF's first.  As such my feet were a bit dirty when I put them on (no socks) and so the footbed got a little bit dirty, and they did smell a bit when I took them off after 1.5 miles (went the other 1.5 miles back barefoot).  After that I stuck the dryer sheets in them and they seem to be doing pretty well now, although I haven't worn them at all since Sunday evening.  So they've been on the shelf with the dryer sheets in them about 4 days now.  Not sure how well it would do if I were wearing them every day.

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
chronin

chronin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 27, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried using one of those enzyme cleaners like natures miracle, typically used for pet oders. It seems as if that concept would work on some of the tougher smells.
That's my 2cents lol
Melissa

My wife's Bikila LS has some serious funk. I tried soaking them in nature's miracle. Didn't work for me. Other things I have tried:

Oxiclean, Efferdent, Febreeze, shoe deodorizers, vinegar, washing machine, Nature's Miracle, Lysol spray. Maybe more things I can't think of right now.

Quite a list of stuff and nothing works. At first, we washed them in the washing machine about once per week and it was fine. Then after a couple of months that stopped working. We have some free samples of a new product that was posted here coming soon so hopefully it will work. If not we may have to get a new pair of shoes it's that bad. If we do, we will try maybe the efferdent soak once a week instead of washing them and see how it goes. Maybe if we tried that from the beginning it would have helped I don't know.

KSO - Black M40
KSO Trek - Brown M40
Bormio - Brown M40
Bormio - Black M40
Spyridon - Military Green/Grey/Black M41
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 07, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »

Just an update to de-funking my Merrell Pure Gloves that I wear to work almost every day.  These are not original ideas, just a combination of things from this thread from VFF wearers much smarter than I.

Started out by throwing them in the wash. Smelled great until I wore them again.

Next try:  Soaked them in hot tap water for a few minutes, then used softsoap and a toothbrush on the footbeds.  Rinsed them well and then soaked them for an hour with 2 efferdent tablets in each shoe.  Then washed them with other laundry.

Every night I spray them lightly with Lysol (green apple) and when I put them on in the morning I use some Gold Bond foot powder.

They've been stink free for about three weeks now and I wear them three to five times a week to work.

Forgot to mention:  I scrub my feet every time I take a shower and if I've been walking around the house barefoot, I wash my feet before I put my Pure Gloves or VFFs on.

Haven't had to use this method on my VFFs yet. So far the Lysol and foot powder is working.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:23:01 PM by PB Junkie » Logged

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 07, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »

what if you wash them once a week with some detergent or oxiclean spray instead of waiting for weeks with funk building up?  or even after extended use, like 10+ miles/5+ hour activities..?  wouldn't that help overall?

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
sammniamii

sammniamii is a new face.

Meow

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »

I've only had my VFF's less than a week, but since I've been wearing them non-stop (stopped all non-VFF shoe wearing) they already stink. Last night I scrubed the footbed w/ toothbrush, then washed in washer w/ melaulca (tea tree oil based) soap and Oxiclean, plus threw in some of the Downy Untouchables. Smelt good when they came out. Then set them in front of a fan so I could wear them today. Before I put them on, I put Gold Bond Foot Powder in them.... and today at lunch, they stink as bad as last night Tongue

So, tonight I think I will soak them in the Efferdent, then the wash treatment. Plus, I think I'm gonna go back to my "spraying foot down w/ 91% Iso" before putting my foot in there in the morning.

I also have a sample of the product listed on this site coming, I really do hope it helps. This was why I went to "sandals" over the summer.... blarg, I hate my feet.

Meow I say
sammniamii

Meow

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 23, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »

Ok, update. I got my sample of the "Rank Away" in the mail this weekend. I went and watched the video then completed the scrub down & soak, then set both pairs of the Classics in front of a fan. Before I treated the shoes, BOTH of them where in full-on stank mode. After the soak, I could smell alittle, but after the dry time.... NOTHING! Nadda, zilch.... no smell at all.

Yesterday was my first day wearing either pair, but the end of the day the shoe smelled some (1 out of 5) but when I checked this morning, the smell was gone.

The big test will be today, it was raining hard when I headed to work and my other pair (not the ones I wore yesterday) got soaked. I've got my feet infront of a fan, but they are still slightly damp. By the end of the day I'll see how they hold up .... and then see how they smell tomorrow morning.

My biggest thing, the product says to spray the footbed to maintan the killing power, but how often? That might be trial & error.

But it does work.... I am still testing to still how long it really lasts. Plus.... how long a single bottle lasts. The soak uses alittle under half/third the bottle, so if it doesn't last a good length of time and needs re-soaking more than monthly, it might become costly... But I'm not saying it woulndn't be well worth it. More as time passes!

Meow I say
PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 23, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

I have noticed that after wearing my VFF's for a full day at the office, with Injinji socks, that everything (foot, socks, VFF's) are pretty funk-tastic after I take them off.  A little spritz of Febreeze and the dryer sheets seem to be helping, though.  But again I don't wear them all the time, maybe once a week for all day, and a few other times per week for 1-2 hours at time.

I've only washed them once since I got them and they seemed pretty fresh after the wash (just washing machine, no special methods or pre-treatments).

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
chronin

chronin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 23, 2011, 09:10:49 PM »

Ok, update. I got my sample of the "Rank Away" in the mail this weekend. I went and watched the video then completed the scrub down & soak, then set both pairs of the Classics in front of a fan. Before I treated the shoes, BOTH of them where in full-on stank mode. After the soak, I could smell alittle, but after the dry time.... NOTHING! Nadda, zilch.... no smell at all.

Yesterday was my first day wearing either pair, but the end of the day the shoe smelled some (1 out of 5) but when I checked this morning, the smell was gone.

The big test will be today, it was raining hard when I headed to work and my other pair (not the ones I wore yesterday) got soaked. I've got my feet infront of a fan, but they are still slightly damp. By the end of the day I'll see how they hold up .... and then see how they smell tomorrow morning.

My biggest thing, the product says to spray the footbed to maintan the killing power, but how often? That might be trial & error.

But it does work.... I am still testing to still how long it really lasts. Plus.... how long a single bottle lasts. The soak uses alittle under half/third the bottle, so if it doesn't last a good length of time and needs re-soaking more than monthly, it might become costly... But I'm not saying it woulndn't be well worth it. More as time passes!

My wife also tried Rank Away with similar results. Nothing was able to take the funk out before. We tried everything (efferdent, oxiclean, laundry soap, febreeze, etc) but this stuff did the trick. She had a really nasty funk and we were honestly thinking about throwing them away. We got a free sample to try. After soaking them like they said and letting it dry, the smell was gone. It is gone after wearing them for over a week, too. Not sure how often to spray them for maintenance but we will try once a week and see if it keeps the funk at bay.

The only thing is that my wife doesn't like the smell of rank away. She would much rather have that then the funk though. I don't think it's that bad but it is pretty strong whatever is in it.

KSO - Black M40
KSO Trek - Brown M40
Bormio - Brown M40
Bormio - Black M40
Spyridon - Military Green/Grey/Black M41
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 23, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »

The only thing is that my wife doesn't like the smell of rank away. She would much rather have that then the funk though. I don't think it's that bad but it is pretty strong whatever is in it.

i have used the Rank Away sample as well.  my hiking vffs were starting to get signs of funk so i scrubbed them and put them in the RA dip, as per directions. once they dried , yes, they did smell heavily of RA but i have not used them since and the RA smell is now gone along with the funk.  i can catch an extremely subtle hint of funk but i have yet to use that pair since last week so we shall see how the smell is after another day hike.

as for the "spraying regularly to keep the funk away", i have been spraying my running vffs every other run, in fact they are drying right now.  I haven't put them in a dip or scrubbed them since they were fresh when i got them so i've just been coating the foot bed with the RA.  they seem to be fine. i'll let you know is the RA smell is left over tomorrow when i grab them to go for a run but the stuff seems to work pretty well.

my only issue is trying to spray the stuff far enough into the toe to get in the pockets.  i'm guessing it's getting in there but it may not.  oh well.

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
sammniamii

Meow

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 02, 2011, 12:08:19 PM »

Another update....

The (2) pairs that went thru the soak are starting to smell after a week of hard wearing (alternate days bwt the pairs) and now with a 3rd pair to add to the mix, I think just not wearing them everyday is helping. Tonight I'll do a light scrub & spray (not soak) and see if they last another week.

Now, note - the smell comes back within a few hours of wearing them, but it's light. By the next morning, they barely smell, so the Rank Away must be helping.

Meow I say
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 02, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »

update II:

after a day hike on wednesday my vffs smelled just slightly more funky than before so i threw them in the wash with oxiclean after rubbing the beds with it.  they turned out with the same smell as before, so i'm not complaining. the funk is being kept at bay which is all that matters so i guess RA is working, even though i kind of combined cleansers.

as for my running vffs, the RA smell is gone and it seems it actually turns into a very very mild but pleasant odor so.

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
  Print  

Jump to: